Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th June 2009, 09:55 AM   #1
Greybeard

Default Sengkelat vs. Parungsari

Hi all

Sorry for disturbing you again with my questions. But I`m here to learn, and this is a great place to learn about keris!

I collect older Javanese keris with a special interest in the 13 luk dapurs. Now my question: What`s the difference between dapur Sengkelat and dapur Parungsari? Both seem to be almost identical with the exception of the lambe gajah (Sengkelat = 1; Parungsari = 2). Is this the only difference? What about jenggot? I have seen examples of both dapurs with and without jenggot.

Regards,

Heinz
Greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2009, 10:34 AM   #2
ferrylaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybeard
Hi all

Sorry for disturbing you again with my questions. But I`m here to learn, and this is a great place to learn about keris!

I collect older Javanese keris with a special interest in the 13 luk dapurs. Now my question: What`s the difference between dapur Sengkelat and dapur Parungsari? Both seem to be almost identical with the exception of the lambe gajah (Sengkelat = 1; Parungsari = 2). Is this the only difference? What about jenggot? I have seen examples of both dapurs with and without jenggot.

Regards,

Heinz
I will answer your question based on the book 'dhapur'.
dhapur sangkelat has ricikan : 13 waves, sekar kacang, jalen, lambe gajah, sogokan, tikel alis,sraweyan, greneng (1 ron dha).

dhapur parung sari tipe (A) has ricikan: same as sangkelat, with exeption : 2 lambe gajah, 2 ron dha, 1 rondha nunut.

dhapur parung sari tipe (B) : same as sangkelat with exeption: 2 lambe gajah, with jenggot.

dhapur parung sari tipe (C) : same as sangkelat, with exeption: 2 lambe gajah, and with 2 ron dha.

hope this can help.
ferrylaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2009, 12:30 PM   #3
Greybeard

Many thanks, Ferrylaki. This helps a lot!

I already own several keris with dapur Sengkelat from different periods and with different luk styles. Now I`m going to buy my first Parungsari keris (I think it`s type c). Then I hope to find the types a) and b), too.

Best regards,

Heinz
Old 29th June 2009, 12:56 PM   #4
mykeris

Yes I like kris with 13 luks and I intend to collect them, I am a bit confused too, on both of these dapurs. Perhaps, we should raise the questions: why are there many versions of Parung Sari, what is Parung Sari or its origin or may be its functions as compared to the legendary Sengkelat. Perhaps, its beneficial to see photos of Sengkelat and various versions of Parung Sari posted to this forum..Looking forward to see.

Last edited by mykeris; 29th June 2009 at 02:37 PM. Reason: correction
mykeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2009, 01:24 PM   #5
Greybeard

Hello Mykeris

I agree, photos would help to illustrate the features (ricikan) of the two dapurs resp. the differences between them.

Regards,

Heinz
Old 2nd July 2009, 07:56 AM   #6
mykeris

Default Could it be Parungsari?

Could it be Parungsari?
Attached Files
File Type: zip DSC_0051.JPG.zip (298.1 KB, 298 views)
File Type: zip DSC_0050.JPG.zip (886.8 KB, 254 views)
File Type: zip DSC_0049.JPG.zip (816.7 KB, 271 views)

Last edited by mykeris; 2nd July 2009 at 08:07 AM.
mykeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2009, 08:27 AM   #7
Greybeard

Hello Mykeris

Thank you for providing the pictures. To me these appear to be Sengkelat (I see one lambe gajah only). But I may be wrong ...

Regards,

Heinz
Old 3rd July 2009, 10:15 AM   #8
Greybeard

Default Parungsari

An IMO extremely beautiful keris dapur Parungsari (type B) is pictured on the cover page of "Ensiklopedi Keris" by Bambang Harsrinuksmo ...
Old 6th July 2009, 05:53 AM   #9
Greybeard

Default How old are Sengkelat and Parungsari?

I would be very interested to know when the dapurs Sengkelat and Parungsari appeared first or when these dapurs were "invented".

Regards,

Heinz
Old 7th July 2009, 03:52 AM   #10
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybeard
I would be very interested to know when the dapurs Sengkelat and Parungsari appeared first or when these dapurs were "invented".
A legend version was reported too in Groneman's book, Der Kris der Javaner. Quite details. He quoted source from "Pararaton" (old book on Singasari, during Ken Arok period and so on, translated from ancient javanese language by J Brandes), karaton Yogya manuscripts and also books on keris dapur from FL Winters (1871).

According to Groneman's version, keris Sangkelat was a keris commisioned by Sunan Lepen (I think, the complete name is Sunan Sekar Seda Lepen, a Sunan of Demak kingdom in the 16th century). Empu Supa who had made it (but of course, which Supa? So many Supa's name in keris).

Groneman also wrote, the Kyai Sangkelat keris once had been stolen to Blambangan -- in the extreme east of Jawa...

GANJAWULUNG
ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2009, 05:44 AM   #11
Greybeard

Thank you, Ganjawulung. Very interesting!

Regards,

Heinz