Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th February 2016, 12:57 PM   #1
mrcjgscott

Default Zanzibar or Omani Jambiya?

Hello all,

A good friend of mine, knowing of my interest in all things Gurkha, recently showed me this "kukri"!!

I explained that rather than a kukri, it was infact a Jambiya, and a half decent one at that. He was understandably crestfallen, but heartened slightly when i explained a little about it, and its likely origin.

Having read some of the threads about Jambiya on the forum but would like to learn more, both for myself, and to pass along to my friend.

It appears to be old and well worn, and it has some unusual features and also (perhaps) repairs?
It looks like some of the silver nails on the horn hilt have been replaced, especially on the top of the hilt. It also has some on the rear & sides of the pommel as well , perhaps to help hold on a replaced piece of horn where it had been broken in the past..

Interestingly on the scabbard the central 2 rings are faceted whilst the outer ones are smooth.

I would also like to know, if possible where it originated, is it Omani? Do the symbols or patterns in the silver chain stitching have a particular meaning? Do the roundels deliberately mimic the Omani or Zanzibar shield perhaps? Or something else?

I would guess it might be late 19th century, or perhaps early 20th century?

I am hoping other forum members can shed a little more light on it.

Thank you in advance,

Chris
Attached Images

mrcjgscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2016, 01:07 PM   #2
harrywagner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcjgscott
Hello all,

A good friend of mine, knowing of my interest in all things Gurkha, recently showed me this "kukri"!!

I explained that rather than a kukri, it was infact a Jambiya, and a half decent one at that. He was understandably crestfallen, but heartened slightly when i explained a little about it, and its likely origin.

Having read some of the threads about Jambiya on the forum but would like to learn more, both for myself, and to pass along to my friend.

It appears to be old and well worn, and it has some unusual features and also (perhaps) repairs?
It looks like some of the silver nails on the horn hilt have been replaced, especially on the top of the hilt. It also has some on the rear & sides of the pommel as well , perhaps to help hold on a replaced piece of horn where it had been broken in the past..

Interestingly on the scabbard the central 2 rings are faceted whilst the outer ones are smooth.

I would also like to know, if possible where it originated, is it Omani? Do the symbols or patterns in the silver chain stitching have a particular meaning? Do the roundels deliberately mimic the Omani or Zanzibar shield perhaps? Or something else?

I would guess it might be late 19th century, or perhaps early 20th century?

I am hoping other forum members can shed a little more light on it.

Thank you in advance,

Chris
Damn fine knife. Thanks for sharing! My money would be on it being either Omani or Saudi, and I would not be surprised if it is early 20th.
harrywagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2016, 05:16 PM   #3
mrcjgscott

Hello Harry,

Many thanks for the information, it is all useful, and helps me learn! Are there specific ways to tell one region from another with these Jambiya?
Old 26th February 2016, 07:09 PM   #4
kahnjar1

Hi Chris,
Nice Jambiya.
I have one similar (shown here) which comes from the Sharqiyah Region of eastern Oman around the port of Sur. The scabbard wire work is similar to yours but the hilt is a slightly different, though that is not unusual.
Can not be sure, but the hilt on yours COULD be rhino as it appears to show the typical "orange peel" end grain.
Some comments about your observations.....the plain rings are likely to be replacements as it is usual for all the rings to be faceted. As far as the nails are concerned they are likely to be for decoration, unless of course there is obvious sign of a repair to the hilt.
Stu
Attached Images

kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2016, 07:13 PM   #5
mrcjgscott

Hi Stu,

Good to hear from you, I hope you are well?

Many thanks for the information, and for the pictures of your example, very nice indeed. Interesting that yours comes from a port region. Would such things have been carried by sailors?

Interesting that it could be a rhino horn hilt, I did wonder, but thought I would leave that to the experts here.

Is there any way I can show you more details of the hilt to help your opinion?

All the best,

Chris
Old 26th February 2016, 08:07 PM   #6
kahnjar1

https://www.google.co.nz/?gws_rd=ssl...+sharqiyah+map
Hi Chris,
As you will see from the link, The Shaqiyah region is mostly inland but has a coastal strip which includes the port of Sur. My previous comment was probably a bit misleading.
You have PM.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2016, 10:35 AM   #7
mrcjgscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
https://www.google.co.nz/?gws_rd=ssl...+sharqiyah+map
Hi Chris,
As you will see from the link, The Shaqiyah region is mostly inland but has a coastal strip which includes the port of Sur. My previous comment was probably a bit misleading.
You have PM.
Stu

Ahhh all becomes clear, thanks for the clarification Stu.

PM replied to.

Chris
Old 27th February 2016, 01:51 PM   #8
mrcjgscott

I somehow forgot to add this image of the blade unsheathed...
Attached Images

Old 27th February 2016, 04:15 PM   #9
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
I somehow forgot to add this image of the blade unsheathed...

Salaams mrcjgscott, This is an interesting khanjar. The weapon is from the Sharqiyyah as already outlines by Stu...and the hilt by which this khanjar also gets its name is Saifaani ...This is Rhino horn ...It is true that the import point of the horn would have been the regions seaport at Sur...for centuries the contact trade port with Zanzibar and Africa. Likely place of manufacture; Mudhaabi or Sannau(Sinaw). I confirm the same provenance of Stus Khanjar.

Mudhaibi is the largest willaya(county) in Ash Sharqiyah region of Oman. incorporating Sinaw is one of the most popular suqs in Oman. Dresses, khanjars and jewelry are sold there. They also make Khanjars there.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 27th February 2016 at 04:40 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2016, 07:07 PM   #10
mrcjgscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams mrcjgscott, This is an interesting khanjar. The weapon is from the Sharqiyyah as already outlines by Stu...and the hilt by which this khanjar also gets its name is Saifaani ...This is Rhino horn ...It is true that the import point of the horn would have been the regions seaport at Sur...for centuries the contact trade port with Zanzibar and Africa. Likely place of manufacture; Mudhaabi or Sannau(Sinaw). I confirm the same provenance of Stus Khanjar.

Mudhaibi is the largest willaya(county) in Ash Sharqiyah region of Oman. incorporating Sinaw is one of the most popular suqs in Oman. Dresses, khanjars and jewelry are sold there. They also make Khanjars there.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Greetings Ibrahiim,

Many thanks indeed for your comments.

Very interesting that you confirm the hilt as being made of Rhino horn, I was worried my pictures did not give enough details.

Was this a dagger which anybody could have purchased, or is it something a little more special?

Do you think this is an early 20th example, as I have guessed?

With kind regards,

Chirs
Old 27th February 2016, 08:06 PM   #11
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Greetings Ibrahiim,

Many thanks indeed for your comments.

Very interesting that you confirm the hilt as being made of Rhino horn, I was worried my pictures did not give enough details.

Was this a dagger which anybody could have purchased, or is it something a little more special?

Do you think this is an early 20th example, as I have guessed?

With kind regards,

Chirs
Salaams mrcjgscott Also have a look at http://khanjar.om/Types.html

That site is excellent but I have spoken to locals from that region and they indicate from Sinaw whereas the site pulls more toward Sur...If it is a Sur Khanjar it would be smaller ...that is about the only difference...It is called Suri or more than likely Saifaani(if the handle is Rhino*) and possibly someone could refer to it as specifically Sanaw or they could also quite rightly call it a Sharqiyya...Rather depending which way the wind is blowing...and they would all be right.

(*In fact the dagger handle on the item shown by Stu has more the design form of Saifaani name going by the two 5 petal silver floral pins.) The two discs on the project item look like brass and not original...I suggest they are replacements and the two discs should be like Stus example.

On age it is always very tricky...since khanjars are always being upgraded and parts exchanged...so it looks 25 years old but not older than 1950...not younger than 1980...be happy with between 1960 and 70...I would say about 1970...There is no science in this.... it is only approximate...
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 28th February 2016 at 11:58 AM.
Old 28th February 2016, 03:00 PM   #12
mrcjgscott

Default More information

Hello Ibrahiim,

I spoke to the owner this morning, and passed on the information recieved so far, which was of great interest, and he sends his sincere thanks.

He says the only thing he would question is the date, as the dagger was brought home by his great grandfather, and has been in the family for roughly 100 years, his great grandfather having retired in 1920.

I also enquired the blade length, which in a straight line is six inches.

Interesting that you mention the discs being replacements, this would fit in with my theory that the hilt has been repaired in the past. I presume that is fairly normal for a working dagger?

Kind regards,

Chris
Old 29th February 2016, 10:35 AM   #13
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Hello Ibrahiim,

I spoke to the owner this morning, and passed on the information recieved so far, which was of great interest, and he sends his sincere thanks.

He says the only thing he would question is the date, as the dagger was brought home by his great grandfather, and has been in the family for roughly 100 years, his great grandfather having retired in 1920.

I also enquired the blade length, which in a straight line is six inches.

Interesting that you mention the discs being replacements, this would fit in with my theory that the hilt has been repaired in the past. I presume that is fairly normal for a working dagger?

Kind regards,

Chris

Well there you have it... Dating artefacts that have been in deep storage or just sitting being an exhibit is really hard... armed with those facts and vectoring in those details makes it much more accurate to deduce...The weapon is at least 100 years old. It has probable repairs to the hilt in the shape of those non silver rings... thus 100 plus say 20 years added for the repair time scale ...add on 10 years = 130 YEARS OLD.... which is quite old for a Khanjar... Replacing parts is completely normal...again making age guestimates almost impossible...Old blades are often re used time and again... as are Rhino Hilts.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Old 29th February 2016, 11:23 AM   #14
mrcjgscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Well there you have it... Dating artefacts that have been in deep storage or just sitting being an exhibit is really hard... armed with those facts and vectoring in those details makes it much more accurate to deduce...The weapon is at least 100 years old. It has probable repairs to the hilt in the shape of those non silver rings... thus 100 plus say 20 years added for the repair time scale ...add on 10 years = 130 YEARS OLD.... which is quite old for a Khanjar... Replacing parts is completely normal...again making age guestimates almost impossible...Old blades are often re used time and again... as are Rhino Hilts.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Thank you Ibrahiim,

Dating most things can be difficult merely from photographs I find, so thank you for the revised date estimate. That would seem to fit in with what I have learned about the dagger.

It would seem "Khanjar" share many characteristics with other traditional regional knives, such as long use, reuse of good old blades and repair of parts to keep them in service, etc.

When things like that are broken down, it seems that most people really weren't too different, despite geographic contrast.

All the best, and thanks again.

Chris