Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th October 2010, 04:32 AM   #1
archer

Default What Is This

What is this? What culture do you think it comes from? Is it the first Ethnographic Fantasy Dagger?
14inches overall with double 8 inch blades. If it's a type Bichwa then it's probably left handed. Hasn't come in yet. Intriguing, blades may be suspect.
So much work went into it I had to see first hand.
It coming from Nesher, Israel.
Comments and advice welcome, Steve
Attached Images

archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2010, 05:13 AM   #2
Ron Anderson

It's amazing, whatever it is. You've certainly picked up something very very nice.

It wouldn't surprise me if this was Indian. Could be wrong but those horns remind me of fakir's horns.
Ron Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2010, 05:46 AM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Extremely nice Archer!!!
This is indeed a dual bladed bichwa, and interesting in being fashioned into a scabbard made from the style buffalo horns used for the madu madu, a parrying weapon with buffalo horns usually opposed and attached in the center.
These weapons gave the origin of the haladie, whose blades typically followed the contour of the buffalo horns and as I understand, were often considered to have Rajput origins. The design ended up as far west as Syria and ultimately became a known weapon in the Sudan.

The bichwa itself, while known through much of India in Mahratta regions, seems to have been well established with dual blades in Gujerat (also Kutch) as well as Rajasthan in degree. Many of these have the loop type hilt.

The silver mounts on this are exquisite! as is the dagger overall, and reflects quite possibly an important weapon of probably early to mid 19th century. As noted, the blades will tell more, but it looks great so far.

Beautiful!!!

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2010, 05:54 AM   #4
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

BEAUTIFUL WORKMANSHIP AND A VERY UNIQUE DAGGER. I AGREE IT IS LIKELY FROM INDIA AND THE TWO HORNS APPEAR TO BE FROM A SMALL ANTELOPE CALLED BLACKBUCK WHICH IS FOUND IN INDIA AND USED FOR A FEW WEAPONS AS JIM MENTIONED. THE HANDLE APPEARS TO HAVE COME FROM A LARGER HORN MOST LIKELY WATER BUFFALOW. CONGRADULATIONS.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2010, 06:07 AM   #5
Battara
EAAF Staff

Beautiful silver work! What a piece!
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2010, 07:34 AM   #6
Ron Anderson

Blackbuck horns are indeed used on the weapons known as fakir's horns.

I will post a picture of my pair. They are not all that small. They can grow quite large.

But these are obviously smaller.
Ron Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2011, 04:44 PM   #7
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer
What is this? What culture do you think it comes from? Is it the first Ethnographic Fantasy Dagger?
14inches overall with double 8 inch blades. If it's a type Bichwa then it's probably left handed. Hasn't come in yet. Intriguing, blades may be suspect.

Salaams Steve,
I have a small project in hand to look at Gazelle horn across the entire spectrum of artefacts in Oman and have a few pictures almost ready. It is interesting to see how diverse were the uses of this material and I will prepare the small research info in the next few days.

Regards Ibrahiim.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2011, 05:36 PM   #8
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:

Salaams Steve,

As promised here is the result of a short sharp scan into uses of the same Gazelle horn in Oman and in fact other Bedouin Arab areas where it is used;

1. In Syria it is used on the loom(nol) where it is called Mishga or mihta used as a beating hook to ram the weaving tight; "The Arts and Crafts of Syria" by Johannes Kalter published by Thames and Hudson refers.

2. It is used in the same way in the Huwaytat Bedouin group in Trans Jordan . "The Bedoiuin" By Shelagh Weir refers.

3. In Oman amongst the bedouin in the Sharqiyyah (Wihabi Tribes)and other areas of Northern Oman ~ same same ~ where it has the name Mishrat ...according to the book "Bedouin"...Nomads of the desert by Alan Keohane.

4. The other interesting use in Oman was as a powder horn, adorned with silver; according to the superb, double volume book "The Craft Herritage of Oman" by Richardson and Dorr published by Motivate Publishing.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Attached Images

Old 25th November 2011, 01:07 AM   #9
archer

Default A second odd Bichwa

Thank you for your research Ibraham. I'm sure it will provide further incite to others' quests. I saw another similar dagger on E bay here are a few photos. Is there any meaning to the five point star within the larger six point star in the design? thank you, Steve I'm unable to show the star design, but, you get the idea.
Attached Images

Last edited by archer; 25th November 2011 at 01:18 AM.
archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2011, 05:56 AM   #10
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Thank you for your research Ibraham. I'm sure it will provide further incite to others' quests. I saw another similar dagger on E bay here are a few photos. Is there any meaning to the five point star within the larger six point star in the design? thank you, Steve I'm unable to show the star design, but, you get the idea.

Salaams ... Check this out ~ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandala

Geometry in Hindu and indeed Islamic art and history is a vast subject...The work above deals with the Hindu side. Regards Ibrahiim.