Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27th September 2007, 02:33 AM   #1
ferrylaki

Default javanese or chinese??

I saw this tipe of sword in Jakarta, Indonesia. I'd like to know where it came from, since it doesnt seem like an Indonesia/javanese sword. there is a sword dealer I'm going to meet regarding to this sword. I intend to buy the sword which is in better condition than thiss pictures shows.

it has double edges. very sharp. wide from the bottom is 4,5 cm and 3 cm to the top.
any comment would be apreciated.
Thank you
best regard,
Ferry ( Jakarta, Indonesia)
Attached Images

ferrylaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2007, 02:30 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

It looks Indonesian to me. What about makes you think it is not. Some better and closer pics of the motifs in the metal work on the sheath might tell something.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2007, 07:22 PM   #3
Henk

It is indonesian and probably from Java. It has a pamor blade. This sword is called a pedang lurus.

I cann't discover anything chinese on it.
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2007, 07:32 PM   #4
David
Keris forum moderator

Pedang lurus is what i would call it as well Henk.
Old 27th September 2007, 10:27 PM   #5
A. G. Maisey

From what I can see in the pics, I also am of the opinion that this is Javanese.

Yes , it is a straight sword (pedang lurus), but I would be inclined to name it "pedang suduk" (stabbing sword).
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2007, 01:17 AM   #6
ferrylaki

Default pedang lurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
From what I can see in the pics, I also am of the opinion that this is Javanese.

Yes , it is a straight sword (pedang lurus), but I would be inclined to name it "pedang suduk" (stabbing sword).
Thanks guys,
I'll get some better pictures as soon as I recieve the sword.
I'd like to know , should I stain the blade to show the pamor or just clean it and put some oil on it?
regards,
FERRY
Old 28th September 2007, 04:02 AM   #7
David
Keris forum moderator

I believe that the Jawanese tradition would be to clean and stain it.
Old 28th September 2007, 04:40 AM   #8
ferrylaki

Default pedang lurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I believe that the Jawanese tradition would be to clean and stain it.
stain it. gonna ruin the edge since it still has a straight and sharp edge.(not the sword in the picture)
I cant find any suitable scabbard design. in the pictures I posted seem too chinese. any idea?

regards,
FERRY
Old 28th September 2007, 10:20 PM   #9
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrylaki
stain it. gonna ruin the edge since it still has a straight and sharp edge.(not the sword in the picture)
I cant find any suitable scabbard design. in the pictures I posted seem too chinese. any idea?
I am confused. Staining would not necessarily ruin the edge of the blade. And what sword are we talking about if not the one in the picture?
What seems too Chinese about this scabbard?
Old 28th September 2007, 11:43 PM   #10
A. G. Maisey

OK Ferry, I'm tuned in to you.

The sword you saw in Jakarta is SIMILAR TO the sword of which you posted a picture.

Understood.

I think you confused us a little --- or maybe we confused ourselves.

When you actually have the sword you intend to purchase, in your hands, how about if you give us a picture of it, and we can comment on the actual sword you are talking about, instead of one similar to it?

That scabbard of which you posted a picture does not look Chinese to my eyes.With that kepet, it looks Madurese. I cannot see the motif in the brass work very clearly. Is it a Chinese motif? If so, it might have been put together by a gentleman of Chinese descent, living in Madura, or perhaps East Jawa, around Surabaya.

If in fact the sword you will purchase is Javanese, it should be stained. Done correctly this will not damage the edge.

If I were to order a scabbard for this type of blade I would probably opt for a scabbard without metal fittings. Probably akasia wood with good serat nginden, buntut sungu, and sungu at the mouth of the scabbard. The two pieces of sungu should be fitted in such a way that the wood penetrates the sungu and the sungu serves to add strength to the joint of the wood. If you can get a tukang wrongko to make the wood as terusan, rather than sambungan, this would be best, but the wood should still penetrate the sungu.

If you need to get the handle made too, there are a number of designs you could use. I rather like that dove pattern on the sword you have shown a photo of.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote