Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd February 2008, 06:11 AM   #1
kahnjar1

Smile Brass Hilted Saber---Indian? Egyptian?

A nice brass hilted Saber with leather covered wooden scabbard. The blade in my opinion is not perhaps of really high quality, but is sharp. There are no marks of any sort evident on the blade, but the hilt does have the engraved symbols as shown. Does anyone know what they signify and where this item might have originated.
Regards Stuart
Attached Images

kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2008, 09:55 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

This certainly looks like some sort of British Empire {god rests its soul} spin off. Not knowing the script it could be from many places but something say perhaps a mounted unit in the North West province.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2008, 05:29 AM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Excellent call Tim! This definitely looks like what is called by Wagner ("Cut and Thrust Weapons") a British colonial sabre, though the example shown is of iron. Years ago there was a small book titled I believe "Swords in Colour" authored by Wilkinson-Latham if I recall. In the short chapter describing the swords of India, there was a listing of swords selected by various Indian native regiments. Some selected the tulwar, and some of these were brass, other of iron hilt, and many units close the so called 'gothic' style hilt, which was basically taken from the British cavalry patterns of 1821 for troopers, 1822 for officers.
These were produced by British outfitters for these regiments into the early 20th century, and in the 1880's some units still used sabres of style used in Napoleonic period.
I think the characters incised in the hilt will probably prove to be of Indian origin, and most likely of the Northwest Frontier regions, just as you have suggested.

You've really been hittin' the jackpot lately Stuart!

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2008, 06:05 AM   #4
kahnjar1

Unhappy Not mine unfortunately ---(YET!)

Thanks to you both, Tim and Jim for your comments. Unfortunately these 3 items are not mine (yet) but are on behalf of a very good friend of mine. I do believe though that they are actually for sale, but info is being sought first. Any interest in any/all PM me, and I will see what can be done.
Regards Stuart
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote