Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 9th June 2009, 04:22 AM   #1
kino

Default Ethiopian shield Metal

I viewed the past threads on Ethiopian shields. The metal ones are not as common as the leather/hide variety, perhaps the metal ones are of later manufacture. This one is made of metal with a rolled edge. The back of the shield is covered in red leather which has been tearing and deteriorating. The front of the shield is covered with fabric and decorated brass?? strips. Diameter 17 in.
Attached Images

Old 9th June 2009, 06:15 AM   #2
roanoa

Hi. Good find. The metal shields are actually quite common and, in my opinion, not as valuable as the hide ones. Their usage dates back to Menelik II's times (about 1890 - 1900). They are all identical in shape and size, which suggests a common source. The backing is very fragile, being made of the "horrible" (in terms of quality) Ethiopian "Moroccan" leather. This leather quickly deteriorated and to-day it is almost impossible to find one that it's not ripped to shreds. The face of these shields was covered with velvet of any possible colour. I have seen PINK, YELLOW, BROWN, GREEN, BLACK, RED and PURPLE. Regardless of the colur, the velvet usually fades into a brownish shade that sometime is confused by the seller (...) with leather.... It looks like your velvet was originally BLUE. The decorative brass strips were, again, mass produced, and were usually chemically "gilded"; sometimes, silver-washed. There are THREE recognizable patterns, as per my picture. I have never seen any other one. The pattern in your shield is the only one I have ever seen also used in a leather shield. Your shield is missing the big center piece. But all the other pieces are there and in good shape. In my opinion, these shields became popular because of the weight. As decorated shields were mostly carried as a status symbol, these light MADE IN EUROPE (!!!) shields were sought after by the Abyssinians.
Attached Images

Old 9th June 2009, 08:24 AM   #3
colin henshaw

Hi

I've always quite liked these shields from Ethiopia. Interested in Roanoa's comment that they were made in Europe...can you say where and by who ?
do you have any references on this ?

Regards
Old 9th June 2009, 03:28 PM   #4
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

THESE SHIELDS WERE CARRIED BY MEN OF RANK AND THUS WERE A SIGN OF ATHORITY AND STATUS. THEY WERE USED FOR STATE OCCASIONS MOSTLY AND OFTEN PRESENTED BY THE KING TO INDIVIDUALS WHO WERE PROMOTED OR SERVED THE KING WELL. THERE IS A NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC MAGAZINE THAT HAS PICTURES OF THE INUGARATION OF HALLE SELASI IN ABYSENNIA THAT HAS SEVERAL GOOD PICTURES OF THESE SHIELDS. I DOUBT THESE SHIELDS WERE USED IN ACTUAL WARFARE, THEY DO MAKE A BEAUTIFUL WALL DISPLAY ALONG WITH A NICE SWORD. I AM SURE WHEN THE CLOTH WAS STILL IN FULL COLOR AND THE METAL SHINEY AND NEW A LARGE GATHERING OF CHIEFS WOULD HAVE BEEN VERY BEAUTIFUL AND EYE CATCHING.
PERSONALLY I LIKE THEM
Old 9th June 2009, 05:57 PM   #5
kino

Ronoa, I thought there was something missing in the center. Thanks for the confirmation. I like the looks of the hide shields more betta", but there was none to be found at the market.
Old 9th June 2009, 06:54 PM   #6
roanoa

There no documents pointing to the manufacturer, at least none that I am aware of. However, based on the fact that all the metal shields I have seen are identical (and required good machinery to make) and that the decorations are mass produced by stamping and that the rivets are clearly European made, I have no doubts that these shields were imported in the "raw" state and assembled locally.
Kino, where are you from? Which market are you referring to? Leather shields show up on eBay from time to time. Some are good, some are "tourist junk"....
Old 11th June 2009, 01:37 AM   #7
kino

HTML Code:
Kino, where are you from? Which market are you referring to?
I'm from the Seattle area. Local markets to me are the gun shows, antique stores and flea markets.
Old 27th June 2009, 08:57 PM   #8
roanoa

Here are two pictures that should well illustrate the 3 patterns of the metal imported shields. As I said, these are the only 3 patterns I am aware of. I have seen them with small variations, but the 3 patterns can always be identified. The picture of the warriors is very interesting because it shows all 3 patterns and, in my opinion, confirms that these metal shields were popular and fairly common. The two warriors on the bottom left are sporting VERY nice traditional hide and silver shields. Other points of interest are the Winchester 1873 rifle (can you see it?) and the fact that the leader is holding a simple spear. As he is sorrounded by his bodyguards, his shield and rifle may be those carried by the fellow on the right, the one aiming a sporting rifle. The shield appears to be of superior quality, consistent with the rank of his chief.
Attached Images

Closed Thread