Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Classifieds > Swap Forum

Old 6th August 2022, 08:29 PM   #1
JBG163

Default Care with scam

Dear all,
Last week i was scammed by a new member of this website.
I have passed the word to admins.
Whatever, the scammer tried to reach another member (and a good friend of mine) via the private messages of this forum.
Knowing my situation, the other member directly contacted me.
Please, be careful with private or suspicious offer !
Wish you the best and to avoid getting scammed.
Julien
JBG163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2022, 02:01 PM   #2
Lee
EAAF Staff

Exclamation Exercise caution when transacting business with unknown parties.

This incident should be taken as a further warning to all to exercise extreme caution when dealing with persons they do not assuredly know at a distance.

As a practical matter we do not have any sort of vetting process for new applicants, that is we do not require nominations or sponsors for membership and essentially only require a working email address for return of login credentials.

The join date is displayed right below the profile picture for a member's posts. If a member is not included on the member list, then they will either be in moderated status or banned. Extra caution needs to be applied before sending money or items to persons not well established in our forums community.

If one does choose to engage in a transaction with another member, then it is wise to use a payment intermediary that provides you maximum recourse and chances of recovery if you are being scammed.

We have allowed new members limited access to the PM functions so that they may directly contact other members to ask questions that might not be appropriate for the open forums or to contact a member offering an item in swap. There is debate among members of the Moderator Team about this policy, but for the present time we have chosen an information campaign as opposed to punishing all new members for the actions of one. Essentially, this is the first notice that we received of such a scam here and the offending new member was immediately banned pending investigation.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2022, 01:06 PM   #3
Lee
EAAF Staff

Exclamation A new scam trend?

We have had another report of a scam reply to a swap forum wanted item post.

Please do not get caught up in the excitement of maybe having found your grail and protect yourself whenever making transactions with unknown parties. If it sounds too good to be true, trust your judgement and take the time to verify.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote