Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 12th February 2022, 08:34 AM   #1
milandro

Default Where does this blade come from?

I have bought a blade with only the hilt ( Sumatran Solo hilt) quite a nice one methinks.

Anyway I will provide the blade with a new sarong or adapt an old one if I can find a suitable fitting but I am , in my ignorance, unsure of how you could class this “ wilah” , is it a Javanese wilah?

Initially I thought it was a keleng but I am not sure it will be, this is a shot at the cleaning stage

Somebody locally called it an “ High Keris” and said it was probably from before 1800 and called the Ganja kelab lintah. Another person fasked a friend in Indonesia and he said that this was a sempono panjul dapur. They all seemed to find it an interesting blade.

Again I am a beginner at all this.
Attached Images

Last edited by milandro; 12th February 2022 at 08:37 AM. Reason: spelling
milandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2022, 09:01 AM   #2
Jean

Hello,
This looks an old blade but not a masterpiece nor a "high kris" IMO, the dapur is not a Javanese standard and the carving & pamor pattern look of common quality.
Regarding the geographic origin, my best guess is Madura or East Java but I am not sure.

Last edited by Jean; 12th February 2022 at 02:24 PM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2022, 09:06 AM   #3
milandro

thank you, well, I am an humble beginner and one has to begin somewhere.

Strange though how different people ( I mentioned those things because a local expert of the Keris Studiegroep ) make different assessments
Old 12th February 2022, 02:33 PM   #4
Jean

Quote:
Originally Posted by milandro View Post

Strange though how different people ( I mentioned those things because a local expert of the Keris Studiegroep ) make different assessments
Well, let us see what other members have to say about this blade, this is just my preliminary opinion from the pic and in uncleaned condition
The curved ganja is rather in dhungkul style according to the book Keris Jawa.
Regards
Old 12th February 2022, 06:02 PM   #5
kai

Quote:
Welcome to the world of the keris and the even weirder world of its aficionados!

Criteria for judging present highly moving targets, especially if you move from one community to the next...

There certainly is a difference between blades deemed low end but genuine/traditional vs "interesting" vs quality vs high-end though! (Real high-end blades are hardly ever seen in public and may cost more than a new Ferrari...)

This blade I'd place in the interesting category: It exhibits some unusual features like 3 fullers (if I interpret the pics correctly), some effort put into it (like the wavy gonjo and greneng), and also subpar features like the flat "ridges" and other base features. Some of the latter may be due to being worn down or possibly even overzealous cleaning attempts with abrasives. I see laminations which will most likely show up after warangan (the contrast might be low but I'd give it a try).

This blade does not seem to originate from Java - it seems to have a Malay feel and could well be from Sumatra.

Please share the hilt, too!

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2022, 07:58 PM   #6
Jean

BTW how long is the blade (excluding the pesi?).
Old 12th February 2022, 11:28 PM   #7
Ganapati

It's a very nice blade congrats
Ganapati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2022, 08:51 AM   #8
milandro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai View Post
This blade I'd place in the interesting category: It exhibits some unusual features like 3 fullers (if I interpret the pics correctly)....
This blade does not seem to originate from Java - it seems to have a Malay feel and could well be from Sumatra.

Hello Kai, thanks for taking the time to comment.

When I bought this keris I thought the blade was interesting and precisely for the 3 fullers and the dapur and ganja shape. Ik came without any sarong but despite my inexperience in identifying things ( I am making friends within the Dutch Keris community and some, such as the volks here, kindly) I felt attracted towards is.

Of course another important thing was that I didn’t came from a shop (hence the affordable price) I am al too aware that buyng from shops or known collectors or their heirs delivers much better and older keris but I am not in that balpark, so I am collecting within my limited means.

You’ve asked pictures of the hilt, I took them. It seems a nice Solo hilt. It wil be cleaned a bit better.
Attached Images

Old 14th February 2022, 12:10 PM   #9
milandro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai View Post
Welcome to the world of the keris and the even weirder world of its aficionados!

Criteria for judging present highly moving targets, especially if you move from one community to the next...

There certainly is a difference between blades deemed low end but genuine/traditional vs "interesting" vs quality vs high-end though! (Real high-end blades are hardly ever seen in public and may cost more than a new Ferrari...)

This blade I'd place in the interesting category: It exhibits some unusual features like 3 fullers (if I interpret the pics correctly), some effort put into it (like the wavy gonjo and greneng), and also subpar features like the flat "ridges" and other base features. Some of the latter may be due to being worn down or possibly even overzealous cleaning attempts with abrasives. I see laminations which will most likely show up after warangan (the contrast might be low but I'd give it a try).

Regards,
Kai
@Kai, You saw the hilt ( sorry the length will have to wait because I didn’t measure it before sending to wash and now it is not in my possession but it is rather shorter than all the Javanese krisses I own).

Despite my obvious ignorance of many things concerning the krisses, I too have the impression this was a Malay influenced blade. You are right yes 3 fullers , I am not sure there are flat ridges but that may be due to the rather poor photography (it was a cut out from a telephone shot) nowhere near the quality of a camera shot.

It would be nice to determine whether this is indeed a Malay blade so that , comes the time to find a sarong, I’d be able to work in that direction.

I have a bugis gandar ( no warangka I am afraid) and maybe I could find a warangka in that style but it is very difficult to find parts in general but even more Malay parts in the NL.
Attached Images

Old 14th February 2022, 01:38 PM   #10
David
Keris forum moderator

I agree with what Alan said about trying to judge this keris before it is properly cleaned and stained. I suggest you post more photos once you get the blade back after Warangan treatment.
The hilt that you show is very nice, made of select wood. But I am also having trouble placing this as definitely being a Javanese blade. Hopefully we can tell more after warangan.
David is offline   Reply With Quote