Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th February 2022, 09:10 AM   #1
Cerjak

Default sheath Slot

Dear Gustav and Jean
Thank you for your interesting comments, examining the slot of the KRIS scabbard I can see that it fits the shape of the ganja perfectly and shows no trace of recent carving. I can safely assume that this scabbard was made especially for this blade, certainly to replace the previous one.
I would like to know what are the characteristics of this blade that allow to date it from the 18th century.
Best Regards
Cerjak
Cerjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2022, 09:39 PM   #2
Gustav

Cerjak, there is very little left of any features of the blade, which would allow to place it in time, it is in relic condition, the surface is treated in a way, which don't give a possibility to appreciate or say something about the iron or Pamor, if there was any or still would be any traces of it preserved. Perhaps at some point in its history the surface rust was removed manually.

But that what is left - the outline of Sogokan, how it curves at the Gonjo towards Kepet Urang, the sharpness of these outlines, the central ridge (Odo-Odo and Janur), the clean Gusen, where it is preserved, the shape of Luk and the Kruwingan going to the ninth Luk - says, it was a good quality blade, and it is or it is made to resemble blades, which originated around 16th cent.

I cannot be certain it really comes from 16th or 17th cent., but I am quite sure it is pre-1800.
Gustav is offline   Reply With Quote