Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 28th January 2023, 04:51 AM   #1
John Hsiya

Question Khanda / Hindu Basket Hilt - RUST under grip

Hello,

I am in process of preserving a basket-hilted firangi tulwar. It has what I assume to be its original padding and grip (which is some sort of coated fibrous weave).

There appears to be active rust around and likely under the grip.

I fear the only true way to arrest the spread of it is by carefully creating an incision on the grip and temporarily removing it. I would like to avoid this if possible.

I know it's a long shot, but I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions which would avoid me having to choose between hurting the grip or just leaving the metal to rot.

Thanks & Best Regards,
John
Attached Images

John Hsiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2023, 05:26 PM   #2
SidJ

I would say that fabric grip is equally if not more deserving of protection and conservation given they perish. A professional conservator would be best as they might know how to preserve both rather than damaging one massively.
SidJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2023, 08:01 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This in beyond remarkable to find one of these that seems to have been static in some location for many years, if not generations. Absolutely all the material deserves to be conserved as it is great for the opportunity to keep it original.
If I may, one of the most skilled conservators of edged weapons in my opinion is Philip Tom, who writes here on occasion.
I would suggest reaching out to him if he does not see this.

Please keep us posted on the outcome with this!!!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2023, 11:41 PM   #4
werecow

Yeah, if you get an answer and it's not through here, please share it if you can!
werecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2023, 05:08 AM   #5
Ren Ren

An aqueous solution of tannin helped me in a similar situation. I needed to stop the corrosion of the steel and not damage the wood. The active brown rust turned into passive black rust and I'm happy with my result. But of course my experience is amateur, not professional.
Ren Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2023, 07:28 AM   #6
John Hsiya

Thank you everyone for all the input so far!

I completely agree with the importance of preserving the grip as much as possible. It's actually the main thing that drew me to the sword & I'll be darned if I fail as its custodian.

I will most certainly keep everyone updated.
John Hsiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2023, 02:37 AM   #7
shayde78

I'm curious if anyone knows more about the textile wrapping on the grip. It looks very much like that found on my Pappenheim hilted sword discussed here: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ght=Pappenheim

Does anyone know if this is a European way of covering the grip, or might my Pappenheim spent some time in South Asia?
Attached Images

shayde78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2023, 04:13 PM   #8
werecow

Given that there is a single turkshead knot remaining and it is painted black, my guess would be that that rapier would've originally had a wire wrap and the textile is a later replacement.
werecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2023, 08:06 PM   #9
shayde78

Quote:
Originally Posted by werecow View Post
Given that there is a single turkshead knot remaining and it is painted black, my guess would be that that rapier would've originally had a wire wrap and the textile is a later replacement.
Yes - absolutely a later addition, yet one made in antiquity. My question was pertaining to whence such a feature may have originated. It is no mere painted cloth, but rather seems impregnated with pitch, perhaps. Seeing this similar treatment on a Luanda tilt makes me wonder if this may have a South Asian origin and was applied to a European weapon. This would provide a unique insight into the roads this rapier may have traveled, which is all part of the joy of collecting.

But, enough of hijacking John's thread. If interested, feel free to respond on the thread dedicated to the Pappenheim.

Cheers, all
shayde78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hindu basket hilt, khanda, preservation, restoration, rust