Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th March 2007, 08:40 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

Default Stone club.

While out searching for an over looked treasure for just a few quid today, all I could really afford. I came across this, many, many times a few quid . It was either buy it or walk away. Well you can see what happened, I hope the poxy car behaves its self for a few months.

Length of flint head approx 18cm. Total length 48cm. Bark binding. Some worm hole damage to the halft. There is a twisted lanyard/loop of old telegraph? wire. The wire is a single steel wire covered in a machine woven flax/hemp like material. There are probably some wire freaks out there but are they watching? get a life!

The seller said it is Australian Aboriginal and came from a private collection in Lewes, don't they all . It could be from the Northern Territories to PNG. I will add pics of similar things from the Torres Straits. Does anybody have pics of anything similar or other examples. yab a dabber do!!!

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 17th March 2007 at 10:58 PM.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2007, 12:31 AM   #2
katana

Certainly has rustic charm Tim, nicely organic Are these bi-functional ie weapon and a tool ? The centre 'groove' in the stone head.....is it natural or man-made?
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2007, 10:58 AM   #3
Henk

I must say Tim, that it looks very very nice to me. I think it is a nice find.
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2007, 12:51 PM   #4
FenrisWolf

An aborigine stone club, eh? Does that make the correct war cry "Yabba-Dabba-Didgeri-Doo?"

Nice piece, not that familiar with Australian aborigine weapons (beyond the ubiquitous boomerang), but I seem to recall their tech level was still solidly in the Neolithic period, right?
FenrisWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2007, 01:26 PM   #5
Flavio

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenrisWolf
I seem to recall their tech level was still solidly in the Neolithic period, right?

More Upper Paleolithic! I think that the central groove is hand made. Verrrry nice!!!!
Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2007, 06:32 PM   #6
Tim Simmons

Question Bird Head?

Thanks everyone. I have been thinking about this a little more and come up with some ideas.
I am not saying this is the reality to the clubs origins but it is interesting and feasible to me.
The stone is largely as found. There is evidence of a small amount of napping to enhance the natural shape. I am going to suggest that the stone was selected for its resemblance to a beak/birds head. Not sure if it is flint, the stones I see when walking my dogs looks similar but not quite the same. There is a sheen or patina to the club stone. Perhaps a very slight polishing through use?

Back to the bird head idea. These pictures come from the A.C. Haddon expedition collection at the British Museum. I also think it is reasonable to include islands such as New Britain and New Ireland. I am sure there would be something about the fellow "google". How widespread the obviously symbolic bird head thing is a do not know.
527 is 5cm shorter than the club stone and is listed as follows-
Bird, stone. biro-biro zogo or lewer zogo . Volcanic stone pecked and ground to represent the biro biro bird. This was kept at Kabur on Mer and used in magical procedures to ensure good yam crop.

626 is listed as a wood birds head club the rest of the information is just descriptive.

526 is very interesting as to me it is more abstract than the club stone and 527 in the representation of a birds head. The listing is the same as 527.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 18th March 2007 at 06:42 PM.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote