Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th October 2007, 03:53 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

Default Burmese, East Asian Mak Chopper?

Is this Asian? 44cm long in total, blade 22cm. If so where from? Any information would be very helpful.

This is a follow on from this thread.
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5314
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2007, 06:32 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

Sorted
Old 5th October 2007, 08:12 PM   #3
ariel

That's a pretty little Mak, isn't it?
Maks are essentially glaives and should be held in both hands. I just try to imagine a midget wielding it and....
Where is the Snow White?
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2007, 08:49 PM   #4
Lew
(deceased)

Ooooo! Here comes mak the knife

Nice piece you have there Tim.

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2007, 12:15 AM   #5
RhysMichael

I almost looks like a ram dao to me but the curve goes the wrong way and there is no eye inscription
RhysMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2007, 10:39 AM   #6
Tim Simmons

I think it is a Ram Dao. Specific to the worship of Kali. The black wood being relevent to this purpose. The example in the link is very nice with the white Ivory symbolic of Shiva. It is really quite amazing what one can learn from an ebay purchase.
http://www.trocadero.com/faganarms/i...tem424192.html
Old 6th October 2007, 04:23 PM   #7
Andrew

Hi Tim. I haven't been ignoring you on this one. I've been in trial and unable to spend much time on the forum or looking at my books.

I've never seen anything like this. It is quite beautiful. The blade profile, at least, does strike me as asian. However, I don't think it's a mak. Let me look at my sources a bit more.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2007, 04:53 PM   #8
Tim Simmons

Thanks Andrew. I still have Africa in the back of my mind especially with reference to the decoration on the copper. I do not think it is a Mak this is not a chopper the blade is light with some flex. Look how similar the bolster is on this and the Ram dao in the link. The is also the similarities in the blade decoration the fuller topped by the crenellation. Googling Kali worship also puts quite a spin on it. As does Kali blood cults, Thugge, Kali sacrifice and so on.

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 6th October 2007 at 05:17 PM.
Old 6th October 2007, 05:26 PM   #9
katana

Stone shows a knife called a Bhuj Kutti, sometimes called an 'elephant knife' described as a heavy (?) single edged knife blade mounted inline with a single straight handle approx 20" long (not specified if OAL or just length of handle). The blade form illustrated is not the same, but there are similarities in the overall construction. I do not have a scanner so cant post the picture;
It is possible that yours is a varient, your pictures suggest that the knife is vintage rather than older, is this the case?

(sorry ended up posting in both threads )

It seems that the symbol of Kali is the swastika, info link below, I would think that this symbol would feature on a ceremonial knife that had decoration...unless there are others ?

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=5&gl=uk

Last edited by katana; 6th October 2007 at 05:50 PM.
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2007, 06:38 PM   #10
Tim Simmons

Talking rusty vintage

I am not sure as to what symbols are compulsory to denote a devotees object of attention. Here are the ebay pictures, bare in mind the rust is under varnish. The yellow hue is clearly vissible on the blade pic.

Old 6th October 2007, 07:13 PM   #11
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Good observation Katana. I had forgotten about the Bhuj Kutti, although I had considered the Malabar chopper in finding weapons comparable to this unusual example of Tim's. I think the 'Bhuj Kutti' ( often termed the elephant knife for the decorative motif which typically included elephant forms) is actually sort of a short hafted polearm, and the heavy chopper blade more comparable to heads of these type weapons.
I think Rhys Michael's note on the absence of the eye which typically is seen on ram dao and other sacrificial weapons associated with Kali is most interesting. It leads to asking what factors would determine variations in the application of this motif as it does seem that there are obviously instances of variation.
The link referring to the suastika is very interesting also, and I was unaware that this now unfortunately connoted device was also a symbol applied to Kali worship. In the instances I have seen it applied to weapons, which are seemingly rare, it has appeared on Chinese blades and in the instance I have seen, appeared in a linear panel of several suastikas. In this case it was a Ming dynasty blade and the device associated with the Buddhist application.

As Tim notes, it would be difficult to determine what factors are key in the application of certain symbolism on these weapons, but perspective on such elements are often key in more specific identification on them.

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2007, 09:12 PM   #12
ariel

IMHO,
We need to consider its size as an important factor. A knife with a 22 cm blade of that configuration is either a utility knife or a ceremonial one. It could work as a Dahomey Amazons' "razor" ( and I shudder to think of its use ) but could not function as a Ram Dao unless the animals were very, very small. A symbol of a Ram Dao? A temple knife? A carving knife?
I just cannot see it as a weapon... Sorry.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2007, 09:36 PM   #13
Tim Simmons

Thank you ariel,

I have mentioned that this is not a chopper but a fine slashing blade with a degree of flex. It reminds me of those curved Buffalo skinning knives except the handle is longer and the whole thing is a lot more artful. It could be for slashing the throats of animals like an adult goat, thier throat
is no bigger than a mans. On another flight of fantasy a Thugge could easily slit your throat with it and do not try and tell me that they only killed by strangulation.
Old 6th October 2007, 09:46 PM   #14
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I think Ariel makes a good point that I honestly had not been considering, this item really is relatively small for something used as a sacrificial implement. Even the tulwar hilted koras of Bengal used in sacrificing doves are of good size and heft.
Perhaps this may indeed be a votive or ceremonial piece that is an interpretive example of the larger weapons actually used?
That brings to mind discussions some time ago of the Afghan 'lohar' and whether its rather diminutive size would disqualify it as a practical weapon. Also there were claims that these functioned as utilitarian ice choppers etc. and it was suggested that these were likely modern versions of the earlier examples that probably did serve as weapons. The more modern examples were basically interpretations that served recalling the traditional form much as smaller examples of other weapons such as miniature swords used as letter openers and the like.

Obviously I am not implying such a mundane course for this intriguing example, but would consider the possibilities of more votive use as being plausible due to the size.

Like Lewis Carroll......curiouser and curioser!!!
Old 6th October 2007, 10:19 PM   #15
Tim Simmons

I am not sure that 9" of flexable tempered steel drawn across a throat is votive.
Old 6th October 2007, 10:25 PM   #16
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Uh! OK Tim..........that got my attention!! not votive!!!
Back to where we left off.

All the best,
Jim
Old 7th October 2007, 02:33 AM   #17
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Tim,
I found some more data in Elgood's "Hindu Arms and Ritual" that supports what you have just noted and that smaller size does not eliminate the potential for sacrificial use. On p.70 he notes a 'matchu' sacrificial axe with a heavy cleaver like blade of 8". Another weapon shown as a sacrificial scythe has certain comparability and is also from southern India. There seems to be widely varying terminology depending on dialect and region.

Concerning the copper, on p.67, Elgood discusses iron and steel weapons and that thier polluting qualities are often mitigated by the use of copper or brass on the hilts.

It does seem that weaponry of Nepal and Bengal in many cases cross influence with of course diffusion to southern India also typical, as with most weapon forms in the subcontinent.
Old 7th October 2007, 03:18 PM   #18
Tim Simmons

Thanks for bringing that to my attention Jim. There is also mention of a bill hook with a flexible blade on page 75 The blade is flexible so to activate jingles attached to the blade. Not to say this is the inspiration of the example I post but does hint at variation.
Further to Elgoods writings which are more concerned with courtly or "high church" in these matters. We should bare in mind the many aboriginals and more backwoods people like the Khond where in the first half of the 19th century the sacrifice of some poor devil is more than possible, having there head pulled back and throat cut far from any high temple. The implements used may not be of a standard form one is often looking for. The crenellation on blades used outside of "high culture" could be a representation of the jingles on the temple blades? The jingles being a cleansing part of the ceremony in the temple.

I believe there is the occasionnal unpleasant sacrifice made now in modern times by what I imagine as rather disturbed devotees.
http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default...-7-2002_pg4_16

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 7th October 2007 at 03:44 PM.
Old 7th October 2007, 05:13 PM   #19
katana

I am not so certain this knife would be very efficient for cutting throats. Ideally the edge would be on the opposite side (where the crenallations are) so that the blade cuts as it is drawn across the throat (with knife wielder behind the victim) A short handle would also give better control than the longer handle on this knife.

The 'long' handle on the knife would suggest two-handed use, however the small, light blade would not require this. It could be that the handle gives 'length' to the knife to reach its target.

Below is a 'modern' cane knife, blade is 20.5 cms, could Tim's knife be a ritual agricultural tool. Harvest time in many cultures is surrounded by ritual, ceremony and superstition .....
Attached Images

katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2007, 06:24 PM   #20
Tim Simmons

Yes an expensive special knife for a special costly harvest. The handle has only room for one hand and very sharp. I have not tried to cut any throats with a concave or convex blade so that is in question for me.
Old 7th October 2007, 07:19 PM   #21
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Tim,
Great deductive reasoning there!! I'm right with ya! The idea of vestigial representation for the jingles in the crenallations makes a lot of sense and a more rudimentary example for 'field' use , cf. dress sword vs. combat sword.
Like you, throat cutting and such grim matters is the least enjoyable facet of consideration in examining the plausible function of this piece for me. I do agree with Katana in his observation that an edge on the inside curve would seem more functional for such purpose. The sharpened outer edge suggests use in a chopping fashion rather than a drawcut.

Returning to the size of this weapon again, it seems that in Asian regions the primary weapon was typically much as in many aboriginal areas, either the bow and arrow or spear. Edged weapons were typically secondary and used in close quarters melee. While not suggesting this piece would be in that category, it is simply a suggestion for consideration overall since we have examined so many aspects of the ceremonial /sacrificial potential due to similarity to ram dao. It would seem that ram dao, like the kora and other chopping type weapons, had combat counterparts, and like the kukri, could be used as a utilitarian implement as well. In discussions some time ago, as I mentioned concerning the Afghan lohar, the smaller size of these did not dismiss possible combative use especially in close quarters or as with Afghans in stealth attacks with easily concealed weapons. The British occupiers took a dim view of tribesmen carrying weapons.

Something else that we need to look at is the interesting symbols or characters deeply stamped in the blade. Do these coincide with others that might be found on examples from suggested regions, like the knife you included earlier? What might these represent?
Old 7th October 2007, 07:31 PM   #22
Tim Simmons

Jim. It is too light to chop. That is why a went with the African razor it is like a razor. The Nepalese Ram Dao link is too much of a match to think of Africa any more for me right now. It would make an excellent slashing secondary weapon. Held with the blade facing you I think it could do a serious unpleasantness to man or beast. Or the other way for that matters.
Old 7th October 2007, 09:34 PM   #23
Battara
EAAF Staff

The only problem with the ram do connection is that the ram do or other sacrificial knife like that in Nepal has an eye that is the symbol of Durga, the consort of Shiva and it is her avatar in a sense that cuts the head off the animal. Without the eye, it is not "alive" with her presence.

If it is a sacrificial weapon, I would put it with India or somewhere else.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2007, 10:44 PM   #24
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hey Battara!! I was hoping you'd come in on this!
The symbolism of the eye is indeed key on these sacrificial weapons and thanks for adding the detail on Durga. What I'm wondering is if every ram dao was sacrificial, and how widely was the ram dao (realizing of course degree of variants) diffused?
Although as Tim notes, this item is too small for effective chopping, it is still of a size for close quarters slashing. Then if intended for such use, the question on the unusual crenallations arises again since that would suggest ceremonial use. Truly a conundrum!!
Old 8th October 2007, 08:21 AM   #25
Tim Simmons

Elgood mentions the eye but includes pictures of sacrificial weapons without the eye. Perhaps the eye is not always a prerequisite?
Old 8th October 2007, 10:14 PM   #26
fearn

I've been watching this with interest, but I'll admit I don't have a lot of answers. What got me into this is the cane knife that katana posted. I've got one. Cold Steel sells these (under the title "two handed machete") and they are choppers with 2 mm thick blades. However, the overall length is over 80 cm, and the chopping power derives from the long handle. Balance wise, mine handles like an axe, rather than a sword, and it's a decent machete.

While the thinness of the blade doesn't disqualify it, the short length does. It's hard to get a good chop out of a short knife, although it's possible (I've tried). From a purely functional perspective, it's not well-built. That curved panga blade would be great, if the blade was 40 cm, not 20 cm. I'd believe it was a weapon if it had a decent point, or if the blade was so heavy (i.e. an axe) that it could cut well despite its short length. If it's not a weapon, that means it is some sort of ceremonial/decorative/experimental thingie.

My 0.0002 cents,

F
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2007, 01:52 AM   #27
Battara
EAAF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Hey Battara!! I was hoping you'd come in on this!
The symbolism of the eye is indeed key on these sacrificial weapons and thanks for adding the detail on Durga. What I'm wondering is if every ram dao was sacrificial, and how widely was the ram dao (realizing of course degree of variants) diffused?
To my knowledge every ram do was sacrificial and has eye on both sides. Not every sacrificial Indian subcontinental knife is associated with the ram do however.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2007, 09:21 AM   #28
Tim Simmons

Lightbulb Forget axe or chopper it's not helping.

This picture next to a large kitchen knife might help get a better feel. The kitchen knife is pretty much the same weight perhaps a few grams more, 250g but my kitchen scales are not the most sensitive. The knife could chop some chicken bones like wings or legs once the flesh is parted. It might cut off a finger of if placed on a board but one would need force, unlike the kitchen knife it is not as wieght forward. It is not as well tempered as the kitchen knife. So it is a slashing cut knife. I am getting dizzy with this one. I will try and put what we have so far in some kind of order.

Indian/Bengal,Nepal? origin.
prestige wood handle with some mythology, and in it's usage. {something about Kali the mother, great fire and coromandel wood being the result and link to Kali}
similarity to certain sacrificial weapons.
cuts rather than chops.

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 9th October 2007 at 09:39 AM.
Old 9th October 2007, 05:29 PM   #29
Tim Simmons

Question Ritual Dissection

The butchers knife has got soaring to new dizzying heights. This knife has been used to do some chopping.

I might speculate that the crenelations represent the jingles to ward off demons during the ritual.

The blade is of a form related the sacrificial knives.

The black wood to associate with kali in the act of destroying the ego.

Sky Burial?

Incidentally the Ram Dao in the link, the figure at the handle end is Shiva with the staff thing in CourseEights post "what did I just buy?" so that Ram dao appears to have Shiva and Kali present not only as the black wood and ivory.

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 9th October 2007 at 05:42 PM.
Old 9th October 2007, 07:50 PM   #30
fearn

Hi Tim,

A sacrificial knife for chickens and oranges, maybe?

Maybe it's time to hunt up a Hindu priest for this one. Or maybe a psychic...

F
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote