Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 16th October 2022, 07:08 PM   #1
drac2k

Default Ethiopian Shotel or Gurade to share

I believe this to be a good working order gurade or shotel.It has a very substantial 32", possibly a European blade with a horn handle and some type of copper boss on the pommel. There is some wear on the corners where it appears lighter; was it a practice to sometimes dye the handles?
Attached Images

drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2022, 09:05 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Very nice example of an Ethiopian 'gurade' (SE curved blade) which is of course a 'working' example, very nice to see the great scabbard and belt. The blade is of the British M1796 light cavalry type, but could well be the Blucher N1811 as these are so similar. In both cases these are often unmarked so it is harder to determine, especially from pics.

Apparently it was indeed a practice to dye the rhino horn as it is typically an amber, almost translucent in cases color while darker toward core. It is hard to say what this brass piece is on the pommel area, and unusual to see it so off center.
The older versions of these, and in many cases the shotels would have Maria Theresa thalers on the pommel, these probably acquired in the trade centers where these blades often were arriving through many Armenian merchants in Harar.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2022, 11:41 PM   #3
drac2k

Thanks for your input, Jim, its always great to hear from you.
Old 17th October 2022, 12:27 AM   #4
Edster

The handle pics look like African Blackwood. The black middle and a brownish corners/outside is typical of the how the tree limbs grow. The look is similar to a lot of the Hadendawa double C handle tips. Of course rhino can be confirmed in-hand

Ed
Edster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2022, 01:08 AM   #5
werecow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall View Post
Very nice example of an Ethiopian 'gurade' (SE curved blade) which is of course a 'working' example, very nice to see the great scabbard and belt. The blade is of the British M1796 light cavalry type, but could well be the Blucher N1811 as these are so similar. In both cases these are often unmarked so it is harder to determine, especially from pics.
Were both blades used in the region? I also have a gurade with a 1796 profile blade (I can post pics if anyone is interested). FWIW the distal taper on the gurade is significantly more gradual than the blade on my JJ Runkel 1796, and it is not as thick at the base. I've been given to understand that the M1811 were often more forward weighted than the 1796 so I've always just kind of assumed that it's a Blucher blade. But I don't know how much variation there was in either the 1796 or the Blucher so maybe it's meaningless.
werecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2022, 03:55 AM   #6
drac2k

In regards to the handle, I guess it could be ironwood; I assumed that it was horn based on its feel and a lack of concentric circles on the pommel.

I would be very happy to have you post your example.
Old 17th October 2022, 04:07 AM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by werecow View Post
Were both blades used in the region? I also have a gurade with a 1796 profile blade (I can post pics if anyone is interested). FWIW the distal taper on the gurade is significantly more gradual than the blade on my JJ Runkel 1796, and it is not as thick at the base. I've been given to understand that the M1811 were often more forward weighted than the 1796 so I've always just kind of assumed that it's a Blucher blade. But I don't know how much variation there was in either the 1796 or the Blucher so maybe it's meaningless.
Definitely pictures help.
This is a tough one as while the British 1796 was effectively replaced by the M1821 saber with a cut and thrust blade with 'spear point' instead of the radiused hatchet point....it continued in some production later for native cavalry in India.

The German M1811 is similar to the British 1796, but the earlier, the 'beefier' is the general axiom. These also were produced in great number and actually even used up to WWII.

The thing is, both England and German suppliers were sending both gurade and shotel blades to then Abyssinia (now Ethiopia) in in latter 19th into 1930s.

The thing is, whether early British or German examples might have ended up in Ethiopia. For the most part, it seems unlikely as most of the emphasis for blades was for broadsword (kaskara) type blades, however later in the 19th century into 30s blades for gurades and shotels became popular as the colonial struggles continued with Great Britain, France, Germany and Italy.

The factor involving other sources for blades into North Africa in some degree is India, and trade action always provided potential for incidental numbers of blades that may have come from there. For the most part these I would regard as anomalies, but the later influx of British and German blades of course are a bit more recognizable.
Old 17th October 2022, 04:54 AM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Default Abyssinian swords for comparisons

First is a GURADE (SE curved saber) which is clearly German made and has the GG and thermometer (Ges Gesch=guarantee, the therrmometer believed FW Holler)often seen on various German made blades. In this case it is the entire sword made up for Abyssinian forces probably early 20th c. The M may be for one of the suppliers possibly in Harrar.
Note the distinct Lion of Judah symbol (for the rule of Menelik II, 1889-1913, later Haile Selassie) on the langet. The blade has acid etched Amharic script.

Next is a native gurade, with German made blade, note etched Lion of Judah, which seems consistent with these German examples for Abyssinia of the 1890s into early 20th c.
The hilt is rhino but left in its translucent state. The pommel decoration is used rather than often seen Maria Theresa thaler.

The native SHOTEL (DE curved), with what seems a native blade with typical raised midrif and likely 1870s+ and rhino hilt. These were used well through 1930s,

Just wanted to add these to illustrate the German blades, hilt variation, and the military style gurade.

The Amharic shield used and photo of Menelik II
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 17th October 2022 at 05:27 AM.
Old 17th October 2022, 10:39 AM   #9
Martin Lubojacky

The handle is very likely made of very hard ebony wood (the grooves on the underside, caused by processing, would correspond to this). I don't think the Ethiopians deliberately stained the handles. Over years of use in field conditions, and by hanging the weapon in a room that did not have a fireplace with a chimney, a crust-like patina often developed that completely covered the original color of the material. A hilt with a "highlighted back" is not so common. Similarly, this sheath with a blunt end is relatively rare to see and, in my opinion, is of an "older type" (in Ethiopia) than the classic sheath
Best regards,
Martin
Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2022, 01:14 PM   #10
Edster

Note the brown tips.
Attached Images

Edster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2022, 02:00 PM   #11
drac2k

Thanks to all for the very informative observations. I also thought that the scabbard was unusual and picture worthy(even though I didn't know why). The stitching also looked a bit out of the ordinary as well; am I wrong?
Old 17th October 2022, 03:44 PM   #12
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drac2k View Post
Thanks to all for the very informative observations. I also thought that the scabbard was unusual and picture worthy(even though I didn't know why). The stitching also looked a bit out of the ordinary as well; am I wrong?

To me the scabbard is one of the great features here, and it seems Ive seen that stitching method before, I thought on the curious types shown in "African Arms and Armor" (Christopher Spring). It shows Ethiopian gurade with similar scabbard but with vertical handle at tip to hold as blade withdrawn.

This same type scabbard occurs on the curiously hilted sabers which were deemed Berber and from Morocco. Actually these were from Cuban regions and used as machetes, and were with conscripts who were sent to to Morocco by Spanish in insurgencies there in 1920s.\

Note the use of old British M1796 blades which were heavily reprofiled at tip.
I always thought it unusual to see this type of scabbard with gurade as shown in 'Spring', but given the trans Saharan trade networks, we see examples such as the s'boula come up to the east as far as Zanzibar.
Interesting they also occur in Ethiopia, so clearly there was a linear route which took Moroccan materials there.
Attached Images

Old 17th October 2022, 04:38 PM   #13
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Found the pics, "African Arms and Armor" Christopher Spring, 1993, British Museum (plate 24) ,
The upper gurade is with the M1796 type cavalry blade as previously noted.
Below is what appears a complete anomaly, it is a M1796 British stirrup hilt but with the M1821 light cavalry blade, entirely in original mounts.

Both are with local Abyssinian scabbards with vertical handle at tip, as shown in the 'Berber' example previous.

When the British M1821 three bar hilt saber for light cavalry was introduced, in the transitional period, many of the troopers preferred the heavy hatchet tip blade and a number of them had the new hilt on old blades.
Perhaps this was a case of the old stirrup hilt preferred (there were issues with the new hilts being restrictive etc.)
The bigger question, how did what was clearly a quite early example of the British light cavalry saber end up in Ethiopia before the later colonial impacts?

Next (op.cit. plate 24) is an Abyssinian court official wearing shotel c.1845.
Attached Images

Old 17th October 2022, 07:51 PM   #14
TVV

Quote:
This same type scabbard occurs on the curiously hilted sabers which were deemed Berber and from Morocco. Actually these were from Cuban regions and used as machetes, and were with conscripts who were sent to to Morocco by Spanish in insurgencies there in 1920s.\
Jim, my research on these is that they are from the Dominican Republic and that is about it.

Is there any evidence that these ever ended up in the Maghreb in large numbers? By the Rif rebellion, the Dominican Republic had been independent (or under Haiti occupation) for about a century so I am not sure why Dominicans would participate in Spanish colonial conflicts in Africa, and even if they did, why they would be armed with their own local weapons and not with standard issue Spanish patterns. If you have any info on Dominican irregulars in the Spanish Army during the early 20th century I am curious to see it along with the sources.

Teo
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2022, 11:40 PM   #15
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Teo, Im glad to see you come in on this, and your research and thorough insights on weapon forms is formidable as I have learned all these years.
I understand what you are saying, and quite honestly most of this came from various collectors in the years when I acquired my example (about 1996).

I do not think these were ever in Morocco in any great numbers, and as we have noted over the years if they had been significant there, they surely would have been included in Buttin (1933) which was written some time before that date while he resided there.
It seems that Tirri(2004) noted that these 'Berber sabers' were examples from the 'Rif' wars in the 1920s. However there is no specific mention of why these machete/sabers from the Caribbean regions would be in the Spanish protectorate or colonies in Morocco. I cannot cite a source for the suggestion of conscripts or volunteers, but it was something I recall hearing or reading.

Alain Jacob in "Les Armes Blanches du Monde" (1985) includes one in the Hispano-Moresque chapter. It does seem most references concur with your Dominican attribution, but these do seem to have circulated in other Spanish locations.

It is a good point about why would forces going to Morocco take their own weapons, unless they were indeed volunteers. While these Caribbean regions were independent, there were notable populations of Spanish immigrants from what I have understood. It would of course take more research on these events in the Rif to learn more on the forces. While these were clearly 'machetes' , which would seem odd to carry to these Moroccan regions , if irregular forces they would have used what they had.

Returning to the original topic, why would a scabbard feature from Morocco end up in Ethiopia or vice versa?

Page from Tirri, and Oriental Arms describing these as Moroccan 'Berber' sabers.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 18th October 2022 at 05:33 AM.
Old 19th October 2022, 02:04 AM   #16
roanoa

A couple of comments. I also believe that the hilt is hardwood (same used in Beja daggers) and not horn. Martin may share my opinion that the hilt itself is a "field" replacement. I also agree with Martin that the darkening of the rhino horn is not due to use of dyes. I personally think that the horn hilts were frequently treated with oils to prevent cracking and that some coloring may have happened as a result. Plus the Abyssinians ate food spiced up with local "berbere" (red chilly powder) and the oily residue would transfer from the hands to the sword hilt... Interestingly enough we see quite a few hilts made with two pieces of rhino horn of different color (beautiful gorade, Jim!). Jim, the last picture you posted clearly shows the use of a British 1796 light cavalry blade with its unmistakable hatchet point (blade that widens at the tip) reshaped.
roanoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2022, 02:36 AM   #17
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoa View Post
A couple of comments. I also believe that the hilt is hardwood (same used in Beja daggers) and not horn. Martin may share my opinion that the hilt itself is a "field" replacement. I also agree with Martin that the darkening of the rhino horn is not due to use of dyes. I personally think that the horn hilts were frequently treated with oils to prevent cracking and that some coloring may have happened as a result. Plus the Abyssinians ate food spiced up with local "berbere" (red chilly powder) and the oily residue would transfer from the hands to the sword hilt... Interestingly enough we see quite a few hilts made with two pieces of rhino horn of different color (beautiful gorade, Jim!). Jim, the last picture you posted clearly shows the use of a British 1796 light cavalry blade with its unmistakable hatchet point (blade that widens at the tip) reshaped.
Thank you so much! I was hoping you'd come in on this as you have always had the final word on these weapons. Have you published anything further on Abyssinian/Ethiopian arms?

Interesting note on that chile powder residue, and it seems somewhere there were cases of kaskara with traces of red on the hilt.
Old 20th October 2022, 11:09 AM   #18
Martin Lubojacky

I would just add that the custom in Ethiopia is to eat national food with fingers and not with cutlery. This is done using a "pancake" called injara, a piece of which is torn off and the food is wrapped in it and put in the mouth. I have no doubt at all that (not only) during the military campaigns the sabre hilt very quickly acquired a thorough patina, which is found on practically all Ethiopian old weapons, and is beautiful. In addition, sabres were used when eating another local specialty - raw beef meat, where the meat was not chewed but cut off when it was put in the mouth. It makes your hands really greasy and there's no way to wipe them properly. And - there are many types of spices made from red hot peppers in Ethiopia and the locals cannot imagine a national dish without them.....
Old 21st October 2022, 03:16 PM   #19
werecow

Quote:
Definitely pictures help.
This is a tough one as while the British 1796 was effectively replaced by the M1821 saber with a cut and thrust blade with 'spear point' instead of the radiused hatchet point....it continued in some production later for native cavalry in India.

The German M1811 is similar to the British 1796, but the earlier, the 'beefier' is the general axiom. These also were produced in great number and actually even used up to WWII.

The thing is, both England and German suppliers were sending both gurade and shotel blades to then Abyssinia (now Ethiopia) in in latter 19th into 1930s.

The thing is, whether early British or German examples might have ended up in Ethiopia. For the most part, it seems unlikely as most of the emphasis for blades was for broadsword (kaskara) type blades, however later in the 19th century into 30s blades for gurades and shotels became popular as the colonial struggles continued with Great Britain, France, Germany and Italy.

The factor involving other sources for blades into North Africa in some degree is India, and trade action always provided potential for incidental numbers of blades that may have come from there. For the most part these I would regard as anomalies, but the later influx of British and German blades of course are a bit more recognizable.
Actually, now that I've put the gurade and the 1796 (at least I assume it is one; there is a barely visible JJ Runkel signature on the spine) side by side they're clearly very different; the fuller on the gurade is much narrower, shallower and shorter, it doesn't flare quite as much, plus the gurade has something like an "Indian ricasso". And as noted, the distal taper is not as abrupt. Not sure why I never noticed all those other differences before.

Perhaps the gurade's blade is local manufacture?

I really need to get a better camera, but for now here are the pictures. I added in my Shotel and the 1796 for good measure.

I've noticed that both the gurade and shotel are set into the grip at a slight angle. Presumably this is to aid edge alignment?

And also, both of these swords and a modern made Afar gile that I have are impossible to get into their scabbards. I barely got them out when I first received them. Is this a common problem? The gurade's is very tough, I think it's hide. Not sure what that odd cutout is for at the top.

Finally, what is the hole right beneath the flare of the pommel for? Presumably it has something to do with the construction, but it's at the wrong side for it to be a rivet.
Attached Images

Old 21st October 2022, 04:15 PM   #20
gp

Question I have is what B would be used for ?

Is it :
a. ceremonial
b. executional
c. something else , but what

as I can hardly see it as a combat weapon ( which A clearly is) as it would not be easy to handle, swing and be fast in a cover and attack mode which one would have with the type of sword which A is, or standard European, Ottoman and even Indonesian ( thinking of the agility originating from Pentjak Silat) ....
The lengtht and curve would contradict a close combat advantage for the bearer of this weapon I think...
Also the force of a blow being blocked would be on the erea indicated by me with the 2 red arrows, would not be nice at all or comfortalbe for the wrist and also muscles fo the arm and wearing the carrier of such weaopn out...
What is your opinion ?
Attached Images

gp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2022, 04:45 PM   #21
werecow

It's not the most nimble sword I own, but the shotel has a sturdy tip and is quite sharp on both sides, and (as a total amateur) I think very capable of doing damage. From what I understand they were used with shields (so probably not much blocking with the blade; hence no guard needed) and the curvature allows one to stab around the shield while the belly of it is excellent for draw cuts.

Here's a couple of guys sparring with trainer shotels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BQyoCEd0SE

And with the curve forward:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUVVj2OWnHQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lALvrVLIPmE

And a flow exercise with an antique one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-8MKbuLlmY

The pommel flare has a similar effect to the disc pommel of a tulwar and kind of forces you into a hammerfisted grip.

Last edited by werecow; 21st October 2022 at 04:56 PM.
Old 21st October 2022, 04:51 PM   #22
roanoa

The SHOTEL (sickle form) is a widely used combat sword of Abyssina. There have been many postings and discussions about its form and use. Search the Forum under shotel. This particular shotel has a grip made of buffalo horn, hence the "circular hole" at the bottom (again, this has been part of previous discussions). The "cut" at the top of the scabbard (very nice conditions, by the way) is to allow the proper fitting of the curved blade. Scabbard with split top part are often found in indo-persian, arabian and even European swords with extreme curvature. Ethiopian scabbards are made of raw skin that shrink over time and become very tight for the blade. This problem can be "solved" by coating the blade with a lot of leather softener/conditioner. After many tries and applications it seems to work.
Old 21st October 2022, 05:33 PM   #23
kronckew

I recall seeing an old early 20c B&W film clip on a website dealing with African weaponry that showed two unarmoured Abyssinian warriors with shotels and large thick oval hide centre grip shields, mostly used to hook around each other's shields similar to the first video above - but the shields were much larger. It may have been recorded during their war with Italy. Sadly can't find it now.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2022, 06:31 PM   #24
werecow

Quote:
This particular shotel has a grip made of buffalo horn, hence the "circular hole" at the bottom (again, this has been part of previous discussions).
Ha, when searching for "the hole" I seem to have found an earlier discussion of the same gurade from before it was in my possession that I had previously overlooked. So I guess it's a naturally occurring phenomenon then. And actually the way it tapers and is not quite round and a bit tilted should've probably given it away. It gives me a glimpse of the tang.

Quote:
The "cut" at the top of the scabbard (very nice conditions, by the way) is to allow the proper fitting of the curved blade. Scabbard with split top part are often found in indo-persian, arabian and even European swords with extreme curvature.
I think the thing that throws me about the cutout in the sheath wrt helping with the flared tip and curvature is that, unlike in the case of Indo Persian and Arabian swords, the cutout does not extend all the way to the top.
Perhaps it's just me being clumsy, but the tip can sometimes get hung up on the cutout bit when inserting the sword into the scabbard (or, well, trying to do so, and getting stuck halfway through because it's too tight. ).

Quote:
Ethiopian scabbards are made of raw skin that shrink over time and become very tight for the blade. This problem can be "solved" by coating the blade with a lot of leather softener/conditioner. After many tries and applications it seems to work.
Thanks for the tip!
Attached Images

Old 21st October 2022, 06:59 PM   #25
roanoa

OK, so I guess I misunderstood. I though you were referring at the cut on the scabbard for the shotel. If you instead refer top the cut in the scabbard for the gorade, then there is no other explanation than that it may have been damaged.
Old 21st October 2022, 07:27 PM   #26
werecow

Quote:
OK, so I guess I misunderstood. I though you were referring at the cut on the scabbard for the shotel. If you instead refer top the cut in the scabbard for the gorade, then there is no other explanation than that it may have been damaged.
Yes indeed, I meant the scabbard for the gurade. There is actually no cutout in the one for the shotel (I expected there to be one before I actually got it), though it flares out a bit near the top.

I'll add some detailed pics of both scabbards in case anyone is interested. First the gurade's, which is pretty straightforward other than the odd cutout. Will add the shotel's in the next post.
Attached Images

Old 21st October 2022, 07:38 PM   #27
werecow

Shotel's scabbard. This one has some decorations.
Attached Images

Old 21st October 2022, 08:33 PM   #28
werecow

Oh, and as to how these handle: they are pretty front heavy (the grip is of course quite light) and they both feel to me with my limited experience a lot like draw cutting swords like tulwars and shamshirs, as if they want to be pulled around or along the body from the shoulder and elbow in a long slicing motion, if that makes sense. My guess is you wouldn't really do a western saber style moulinet with it (at least not with the shotel). The pommel reinforces that impression. But I could be wrong of course, as I don't know much about HAMA. The point on the shotel is a little terrifying to me when I carefully swing it around (which ever way I hold it). I've tried to indicate the approximate point of balance in this picture (red lines). In both cases it's about a third of the way up the blade. And with the shotel the point of gravity is significantly in front of the hand (making it feel more like a forward curved blade like a yataghan), whereas with the gurade it is of course slightly behind the hand like a saber.

As a total layman, this flow kind of feels "right" to me for the gurade:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxJMODhcZk4
Attached Images

Last edited by werecow; 21st October 2022 at 09:10 PM.
Old 21st October 2022, 09:38 PM   #29
Martin Lubojacky

Hi, The hole on the sheath of Gorade was dug by mice. You can clearly see the tooth marks. It's common in Ethiopia.

The rawhide sheath can be shaped and stretched by maceration in pure ethanol. The advantage is that it doesn't shrink to its original size, as when soaked in water.
Old 21st October 2022, 09:45 PM   #30
Martin Lubojacky

One more thing about the ethanol maceration: I wouldn't do that with a shotel sheath. This sheath probably consists of two layers. The rawhide scabbard is covered with a fine leather with an embossed pattern, and that could get ruined.