Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th March 2009, 07:26 PM   #1
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thanks Tim for joining in on this, and you're right, it seems that in many a pinch, a baseball bat or pool cue surely took care of business!
BTW, it seems that the stick or cudgel often served in training soldiers in broadsword or sabre movements, seemingly in the manner of kendo in Japanese martial arts (though I realize that in the same way these developed into thier own form of martial arts beyond training exercises).

I'm glad to see you on this also Barry! our local club maven!
Absolutely well noted on the economic perspective of these times and places, and as for the Scots....when you got bopped with a caper.....you knew it!!
Roosevelt said it best, with a big stick, you can walk wherever and however you want!! or something like that.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 10:31 PM   #2
Lew
(deceased)

Yes clubs are quite effective and a heavy well made one can break and crush bones even if you get hit in the arms,legs or any part of the torso the are not just head bangers as many people think. Clubs come in all shapes and sizes and are really fun to collect they are one of my favorite weapons. Here is one that was used for personal protection by an American geologist during the 1920s-30s in Rhodesia while mining for copper.

Lew
Attached Images

Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 12:24 AM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Lew, you always come up with really neat weapons!!! and it seems with intriguing provenance that adds great dimension. Great visuals thinking of what must have been high adventure in those days.

Just though of another discussion not too long ago about the well known police truncheons or 'billy clubs'.

Best regards,
Jim
Old 5th March 2009, 08:00 PM   #4
RomaRana

Just a side note. The real Monk was actually named Monk Eastman. He was a turn of the century (1900) Jewish gang leader on the Lower East Side.
RomaRana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 08:27 PM   #5
David
Keris forum moderator

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monk_Eastman
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 08:42 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaRana
Just a side note. The real Monk was actually named Monk Eastman. He was a turn of the century (1900) Jewish gang leader on the Lower East Side.

Now THAT'S interesting!! and wonder if he got the idea of notching the club from the dime novel boys writing on gunfighters, or if the idea was his own form of psychological warfare.
Along these lines comes to mind Buford Pusser, the southern sheriff in "Walking Tall".

Best regards,
Jim
Old 5th March 2009, 11:35 PM   #7
RomaRana

I don't have my books with me and I might be slightly off on the details, but the story behind Monk's notches was that he was a Sherriff (bouncer) in a wild bar in his younger days. Every time he whacked somebody and threw them out of the bar he put a notch on his club.

When he reached 39 marks he clubbed a random person to make it an even 40.

edit to add,

Just looked at the wiki link it was for a even fifty.
RomaRana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 12:15 AM   #8
Gavin Nugent

Default My 2 cents worth

Nice subject guys and with great historical relevance.

I'd like to offer a few points from my experience thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queequeg
It also looks like he had the end painted, perhaps with tar or pitch. Dipping the head in hot tar would certainly seal any cracks and enhance its durability.

So, has anyone here ever seen or heard of a shillelagh that big? Or is this just strictly the idea of the movie prop makers?
With comparison to the images below that I have supplied from my small collection of walking sticks and with Monk being a true Irish man I would in the first instance think that his Shillelagh would be made from Irish Black thorn.

This is some text I have gathered from other sources;

Irish Blackthorn;

"These time-honoured, one-piece Blackthorn Shillelaghs are selected and cut from dense thickets sourced from the forests of Ireland.

Blackthorn: Prunus spinosa, is a relative of cherries and plums. Sloe, the blue-black fruits are edible, but bitter until after the first frost. The name for the blackthorn in Ogham, a language used by the Druids, is straif, the origin of the word "strife" and is about Conflict."

As seen in my images below, the bark is also present on the root ball head in places. Looking at the initial images supplied of Monk by Queequeg, I too can see bark present on the root ball head. I would say that he is using a very large piece of blackthorn root-ball and trunk and the handle where the notches are, has been stripped of bark and is consistent with the colour presented on mine where time and use has worn away the bark. The full consistent colour of the head of Monk's is due to lacquer that is also present on some parts of mine.

As mine is a daily user along side the hounds when I walk them, I know a single blow from one of these could drop a man for good and I have tested it on inanamate objects with devistating effect, so it is no surprise that Monk had 50 notches on his.

The one I have pictured is approx 100 years old.

Gav
Attached Images

Last edited by freebooter; 6th March 2009 at 12:31 AM.
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 03:59 AM   #9
Lew
(deceased)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaRana
I don't have my books with me and I might be slightly off on the details, but the story behind Monk's notches was that he was a Sherriff (bouncer) in a wild bar in his younger days. Every time he whacked somebody and threw them out of the bar he put a notch on his club.

When he reached 39 marks he clubbed a random person to make it an even 40.

edit to add,

Just looked at the wiki link it was for a even fifty.
Now that is very interesting a Jewish gangster with a big shtick.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote