Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 15th April 2015, 09:45 AM   #1
dstockbridge

Default Mandau ID

Hi just wanting to find out about my Mandau which I got several years ago. First any idea where in Borneo it is from. Which tribe and perhaps an idea as to how old it maybe.
Attached Images

dstockbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2015, 11:56 PM   #2
Dajak

Hi it is an nice old mandau probaly kenjah/kayan

Ben
Dajak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2015, 01:41 AM   #3
dstockbridge

Cheers Ben I will start having a look at Kayan types. Thanks for the reply.
Old 18th April 2015, 04:48 PM   #4
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

THE MANDAU IS IN EXCELLENT SHAPE, THE BEE'S WAX FERULE AND GRIP WRAP IN GOOD SHAPE AND A NICELY CARVED WOOD HANDLE. THE BLADE LOOKS LIKE A GOOD HEAVY ONE MADE FOR USE NOT A THIN DECORATIVE ONE. ITS TOO BAD THE SCABBARD AND SMALL KNIFE IS MISSING AS A LOT CAN BE TOLD FROM LOOKING AT THEM. IT DOESENT APPEAR TO HAVE SEEN HEAVY USE SO WAS LIKELY SOLD TO A TRADER AND SOLD FROM A SHOP OR PERHAPS TRADED FOR BY A TRAVELLER. HOW IT LOST ITS SCABBARD WOULD BE ANOTHER STORY. PERHAPS THE SCABBARD GREMLINS GOT IT.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2015, 01:35 AM   #5
dstockbridge

Cheers Vandoo. Yes it is very heavy and I think it was for everyday use, in Bahasa Indonesian a Mandau biasa and not for upacara. I was at an auction several years ago and no one wanted it because of the lack of a scabbard, but I still liked the look of it. On a separate note I went to a Gawai Antu in Sarawak in 1992 and spent several nights in an Iban longhouse during the spirit festival - invited by a neighbour of a friend in Kuching (invite only not for tourists). I have some photos of the ceremonies, is this something the forum members would be interested in looking at? These people were incredibly hospitable and friendly, a special life memory for me.
Old 19th April 2015, 07:41 PM   #6
asomotif

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstockbridge
I have some photos of the ceremonies, is this something the forum members would be interested in looking at? These people were incredibly hospitable and friendly, a special life memory for me.
I would love to see pictures of the Gawai antu.

Best regards,
Willem
asomotif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2015, 10:17 PM   #7
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

I AM SURE SOME MEMBERS WOULD ENJOY SEEING THE PICTURES, ESPECIALLY IF SHIELDS, SWORDS AND TRADITIONAL DRESS ARE PRESENT. A GATHERING OF TRIBE AND FAMILY IS ALWAYS MORE FUN THAN A SHOW THAT IS DONE DAY IN AND DAY OUT FOR OUTSIDERS.
WHILE IT IS PREFERABLE TO ACQUIRE A COMPLETE SWORD AND SCABBARD. ONE MUST REMEMBER THE TOOL AND WEAPON IS THE BLADE AND HANDLE NOT THE SCABBARD, ITS JUST THE FANCY BOX ITS KEPT IN WHEN NOT IN USE.
Old 23rd April 2015, 08:11 AM   #8
dstockbridge

Talking Gawai Antu 1992

Finally found, scanned and resized a few photos of a Gawai Antu which I attended for about three days in 1992. The longhouse was about 2 to 3 hours from Kuching. We were fortunate to be invited by a neighbour of my wifes friend and we were treated very generously over the three days of the festival. I am no expert on the Gawai Antu but was told they are a festival for the spirits or ghosts. The festival is only held every 20 to 30 years as they are a very expensive event, there may in fact be spiritual reasons for that timeframe but I do not know.

This longhouse had about 25 family rooms and each household supplied as much alcohol and food as possible. These supplies were displayed prior to the commencement of the festival. During the event elders held processions and drank toasts to the spirits. These processions occurred throughout days and nights and I was told they were not meant to sleep much if at all - I eventually did.

I have included a few photos displaying the processions, dress and weapons. I never took photos of the heads that were taken, as I understand it by some of the elders in the processions (WWII Japanese as I recall). The little children were always keen on showing them to me. That after all is one of the uses of a Mandau. I received much respect and hospitality from these people and would expect that these photos be viewed respectfully as well.

Please enjoy
Attached Images

Old 23rd April 2015, 05:56 PM   #9
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

THANKS FOR SHARING, IT IS INTERESTING TO NOTE ALL THE FEATHERS IN THE HATS APPEAR TO BE FROM THE ARGUS PHEASANT WHILE THE FEATHERS ON THE SWORDS ARE HORNBILL. I WONDER IF THERE IS ANY TRADITIONAL TRIBAL SIGNIFICANCE OR IF ITS JUST LOCAL PREFERENCE.
BEING THE GUEST AT SUCH A GATHERING ANY WHERE IN THE WORLD CAN BE HAZARDOUS AS NO DOUBT EVERYONE WANTS TO MAKE SURE YOU GET PLENTY TO DRINK. WHEN IT IS WHISKY THAT'S NOT GOOD FOR ME AS I AM A LIGHTWEIGHT WHEN IT COMES TO DRINKING.