Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th March 2009, 01:28 AM   #1
Bill M

Default Sikin with Horn hilt and ivory scabbard mouth

Acheen -- Sumatra mid 19th century.

33" overall length - 25" long blade with very shallow 19" fuller just below the spine. Feels very good in the hand. Definitely a "user" with some history.

Blade probably laminated, someday I'll clean and stain it, or maybe Steve F will help??

The steel bolster is forged in a polygonal shape with two unusual side "wings". The hilt is black horn in a typical forked pommel and beautifully carved with great patina and wear from usage.

The scabbard mouth is carved from a massive carved elephant ivory piece. The scabbard wood is newer than the blade and hilt, But do you often see a scabbard younger than the blade?
Attached Images

Last edited by Bill Marsh; 25th March 2009 at 01:39 AM.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 09:27 AM   #2
asomotif

Dear Bill

That is the wonderfull hilt ex Artzi's that Michael recently pointed out to me in another thread.

Never seen this style before , also the blade with the large protrusions, never seen that before.
Wondefull piece.

(BTW scabbard looks better like this)
asomotif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2009, 08:52 AM   #3
kai

Quote:
(BTW scabbard looks better like this)
Yup, I also think this was a very good job to get the replacement scabbard more in line with the age of this piece.

Last edited by kai; 26th March 2009 at 09:59 AM.
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2009, 09:08 AM   #4
kai

Hello Bill,

Quote:
Acheen -- Sumatra mid 19th century.
I believe we're looking at an really old piece here - I'd guess early 19th c. or easily 18th c.

I think this is probably not from Aceh: The carved hilt seems to have some Batak influence and I'd guess it originates from an area with stronger Batak presence like Gayo or Alas. That may also explain the exceptional features at the base of the blade. I also find the protruding tang interesting - rarely seen with peudeueng panjang (please try to get an x-ray, Bill!).

Quote:
25" long blade with very shallow 19" fuller just below the spine.
Are you sure this is one fuller? Looks more like 2 shallow ones (indistinct due to wear of the blade).

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote