Old 27th January 2009, 08:02 PM   #1
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Exclamation War Dogs !!!

Anybody got one ?

Lionhound takes down Goldendoodle .
All in fun of course .
Attached Images

Last edited by Rick; 27th January 2009 at 08:22 PM.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009, 08:14 PM   #2
Atlantia

Does Stewie count?
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009, 08:24 PM   #3
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Talking

Yep !
LaZeRs work .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009, 08:42 PM   #4
Robert
EAAF Staff

Vicious guard dogs Baxter, Percy and Kelly always alert and ready for action!!!
Attached Images

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009, 09:02 PM   #5
Freddy

Cool TAKE CARE ! ! !

Here's WOLF ! One mean and vicious killer chichuahua. Weighs a full 3 kgs.

He will fight you .....and the rest of the world, too !

Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009, 09:10 PM   #6
Emanuel

Default If lions were canines...

they'd be Irish woldhounds.

I don't have one unfortunately, but this is the kind of dog I'll get
Attached Images

Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009, 09:10 PM   #7
kisak

I grew up around Greenland dogs, a breed which seems to consider itself quite capable of harassing polar bears. Here's a clip from a Norwegian documentary about a hunter on Svalbard, with a few bears visiting: http://www1.nrk.no/nett-tv/indeks/95503
kisak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009, 09:41 PM   #8
Atlantia

'As the Lion is to the Cat, so the Mastiff is to the Dog'

Sorry if I recall that quote inaccurately.

When I think war dog (and I mean in a hiostorical dogs used way) I always think of the Mastiff.

There is an astonishing and allegedly true story about the origin of the English Bull Mastiff breed.
One of King Henrys nobelmen (Sir Peers Legh, I think) fighting with him at the battle of Agincourt took his (French) Mastiff with him.
It is said that he was unhorsed and seriously injured early in the battle and his Mastiff took it upon itself to defend him from all who approached. This included the English Knights and soldiers!
Apparently even groups of armoured French knights were kept at bay by this most devoted of dawgs.
He kept this up for several hours, only relinquishing his ward when after the battle he was approached by members of Legh's close retinue whom he recognised as friends.

Although his master eventually died of his wounds, the mastiffs many small wounds were not enough to finish him and he was returned home to England (apparently honoured by the King!) and became the 'father' of the English Mastiff breed.
Old 27th January 2009, 09:43 PM   #9
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy
Here's WOLF ! One mean and vicious killer chichuahua. Weighs a full 3 kgs.

He will fight you .....and the rest of the world, too !

He's very 'fierce' and cute!

Just don't feed him after midnight!
Old 27th January 2009, 09:59 PM   #10
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

What can them doggies do, comparing to real war cats ?
Fernando

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009, 11:51 PM   #11
spiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisak
I grew up around Greenland dogs, a breed which seems to consider itself quite capable of harassing polar bears. Here's a clip from a Norwegian documentary about a hunter on Svalbard, with a few bears visiting: http://www1.nrk.no/nett-tv/indeks/95503

Great dogs, & link but that polar bear is but a puppy itself surely? A adult polar bear would take each chained dog as food I imagine?

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2009, 12:27 AM   #12
katana

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Fernando

......Or War Reindeer perhaps ?.....Fernando

Kind Regards David
Attached Images

katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2009, 02:22 AM   #13
pallas

the alano espanol was the wardog of the spanish conquistadores, they set these dogs upon the indians quite often during the course of their conquests, even going so far as to keep indians prisoner as food for the dogs........of course they later where used as cattle dogs on the huge haciendas throughout spanish america.....the alano was one of two direct descendents of the alaunt, a large, primitive LGD/combat dog which had been brought into europe by the alans from the central asia/caucasus area in the 5th century, the other descendant of the alaunt being the old white english bulldog, which arrived in britain with the norman conquest in 1066. some say there might also be a third direct descendant of the alaunt, that being the dogue de bordeaux of france, which coincidentally was also used as a wardog (and later as a fighting dog in the ring) by the french from the 1200's on.

the alano still survives in spain in its pure form as a cattle dog and sometimes unfortunatly, as a fighting dog as well.....it has given rise directly to at least 4 other breeds, the presa canario (also known as the "dog of prey") of the canary islands, the El Gran Mastin de Borinquen (puerto rican mastiff) of puerto rico, the cimmaron uraguayo of uraguay, and the fila braziliero of brazil. the old southern white bulldog or "plantation" "old time" bulldog and the extinct cuban bloodhound also derive half their lineage from the alano.......

its a sort of sad twist that the original english bulldog no longer exists in its true form, instead having been warped into the grotesque lapdog that is the english bulldog of today. the american bulldog is what the english bulldog used to be.

and there ive gone rambling on about dogs for a half hour or so......
pallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2009, 03:21 AM   #14
kahnjar1

Sorry I can't let the dogs have all the glory!!
Attached from Internet.....our actual cat is too laid back to protect anything!
Attached Images

kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2009, 03:44 AM   #15
Gonzalo G

Quote:
Originally Posted by pallas
the alano espanol was the wardog of the spanish conquistadores, they set these dogs upon the indians quite often during the course of their conquests, even going so far as to keep indians prisoner as food for the dogs........
A tremendous story. I would love to read the source of it. The only valid reference about war dogs that I know, comes from Bernal Diaz del Castillo, a Cortez´s soldier which accompanied him and fought in all the battles for the conquest of Tenochtitlan. He does mention the dogs, but he speaks about the spanish mastiff. I don´t believe the spanish would waste a good slave feeding the dogs...too expensive and unecessary...
Gonzalo G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2009, 06:41 AM   #16
pallas

Mark Derr's A Dog's History of America (North Point Press: 2004; see Washington Post book review) offers a broad portrait of the use of war dogs in the Americas. According to Derry, the Conquistadors' dogs were "specifically bred and trained to hunt down and disembowel Indians," and they followed the "practice of bringing along on any campaign chained Indian slaves as food for the dogs."

From Pestilence and Genocide (excerpted from the book American Holocaust by David Stannard, Oxford University Press, 1992: "...[Vasco Núñez de Balboa] had his own favorite dog-Leoncico, or "little lion," a reddish-colored cross between a greyhound and a mastiff-that was rewarded at the end of a campaign for the amount of killing it had done. On one much celebrated occasion, Leoncico tore the head off an Indian leader in Panama while Balboa, his men, and other dogs completed the slaughter of everyone in a village that had the ill fortune to lie in their journey's path. Heads of human adults do not come off easily, so the authors of Dogs of the Conquest seem correct in calling this a "remarkable feat," although Balboa's men usually were able to do quite well by themselves. As one contemporary description of this same massacre notes: "The Spaniards cut off the arm of one, the leg or hip of another, and from some their heads at one stroke, like butchers cutting up beef and mutton for market. Six hundred, including the cacique, were thus slain like brute beasts. ...Vasco ordered forty of them to be torn to pieces by dogs."

Atrocities of the Spanish Conquistadors in the West Indies Account from Bartolome de Las Casas (missionary and conquistadore) circa 1513: "...The Spaniards with their horses, their spears and lances, began to commit murders and other strange cruelties. They entered into towns and villages, sparing neither children nor old men and women. They ripped their bellies and cut them to pieces as if they had been slaughtering lambs in a field....Most tried to flee. They tried to hide in the mountains. They tried to flee from these men. Men who were empty of all pity, behaving like savage beasts. They are nothing more than slaughterers and enemies of mankind. These evil men had even taught their hounds, fierce dogs, to tear natives to pieces at first sight...."
Old 28th January 2009, 06:54 AM   #17
pallas

another rather interesting, if gory tidbit:

By the time of the American revolution, the use of dogs for repression had been scaled down, although some, most notably Benjamin Franklin, advocated for a revival. In 1775, he wrote to a friend: "Dogs should be used against the Indians. They should be large, strong and fierce.... In case of meeting a party of the enemy, the dogs are all then to be turned loose and set on. They will be fresher and finer for having been previously confined and will confound the enemy a good deal and be very serviceable...."

Ben Franklin's suggestion was not adopted until 1840, when Secretary of War Joel Poinsett authorized the purchase of the 33 bloodhounds from Cuba (at $151.72 a piece) for offensive use against the Seminole Indians and escaped slaves who had taken refuge among them in western Florida and Louisana (see: 1840 political cartoon vilifying the Van Buren administration's decision to use bloodhounds to hunt down Indians).
Old 28th January 2009, 11:10 AM   #18
Bill M

My wife, Anne's fiercest scowl and her war dog. 1897 Winchester 12 ga trench shotgun.
Attached Images

Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2009, 11:25 AM   #19
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana
......Or War Reindeer perhaps ?.....Fernando

Kind Regards David
David, how dare you ?
Now you owe me image rights.
Fernando
Old 28th January 2009, 01:50 PM   #20
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Marsh
My wife, Anne's fiercest scowl and her war dog. 1897 Winchester 12 ga trench shotgun.

Dogs are smart! They know when to keep their distance!
You're a trusting man Bill! I stand well back when my mrs has something sharp in her hands!

Last edited by Atlantia; 28th January 2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 28th January 2009, 02:08 PM   #21
Spunjer

Guardians of the Swords. my Wardogs, descended from the bandogs of yore:

Pinky (APBT):

Mr. Beast F. McLovin' aka Beastie (American Bully)

Beastie with Pinky:

Beastie's lineage. these aren't mine. just hoping Beastie turns out like them..

Dad

and Granddaddy

any questions?
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2009, 02:35 PM   #22
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantia
Dogs are smart! They know when to keep their distance!
You're a trusting man Bill! I stand well back when my mrs has something sharp in her hands!
Sixteen inch blade on this bayonet.

BTW bayonets are one of the few bladed weapons illegal to carry in Georgia (USA) because Georgia Sate law says it is illegal to carry any blade made to kill people. Virtually nothing else comes under this heading than bayonets. Asked a SWAT cop.

We are able to carry long guns anywhere we want with no permit. Open carry of pistols is also ok. Concealed pistols require an easy-to-get license. Could also carry a bayonet with this license.

We have some of the most liberal weapons laws in the country. About 20 years ago Kennesaw Georgia (Atlanta suburb) passed a law that every head of household was REQUIRED to own a gun. Crime plummeted and has stayed down in that town.

Unfortunately dogs, including war dogs, are not too welcome inside most businesses, though it is usually ok to walk the on a lease almost anywhere else.
Old 28th January 2009, 02:37 PM   #23
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunjer
Guardians of the Swords. my Wardogs, descended from the bandogs of yore:

any questions?

Whoa! Hope that Beastie looks like Dad and especially Granddad! Awesome dogs!
Old 28th January 2009, 02:50 PM   #24
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Marsh
Sixteen inch blade on this bayonet.

BTW bayonets are one of the few bladed weapons illegal to carry in Georgia (USA) because Georgia Sate law says it is illegal to carry any blade made to kill people. Virtually nothing else comes under this heading than bayonets. Asked a SWAT cop.

We are able to carry long guns anywhere we want with no permit. Open carry of pistols is also ok. Concealed pistols require an easy-to-get license. Could also carry a bayonet with this license.

We have some of the most liberal weapons laws in the country. About 20 years ago Kennesaw Georgia (Atlanta suburb) passed a law that every head of household was REQUIRED to own a gun. Crime plummeted and has stayed down in that town.

Unfortunately dogs, including war dogs, are not too welcome inside most businesses, though it is usually ok to walk the on a lease almost anywhere else.

Wow, thats an amazing difference from the UK.

Explains why your good lady doesn't look too shocked at being asked to pose with the Remington.

My mrs isn't safe peeling spuds!
Always cuts herself!
She's smart as a whip but just completely accident prone! Shouldn't be allowed near sharp things!
EVER!
Old 28th January 2009, 02:52 PM   #25
Lew
(deceased)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Fernando

Click this is so funny!

http://io9.com/5115803/brad-pitt-as-...cats-i-support

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2009, 04:18 PM   #26
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUIEBLADES
Poor Brad,
If he comes around in that outfit, my youngest war cat will devour him at breakfast .
Fernando

Attached Images

Old 28th January 2009, 06:16 PM   #27
Tim Simmons

A little "R n R" under the influence of the bottle.
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2009, 07:41 PM   #28
David
Keris forum moderator

Wink War Cats Rule!

Here are the furious fighting felines Monk (the Magnificent) and Ravi (the Rave Ravster) fighting it out to the death in flurry of claws and fur.....well....sorta.
Attached Images

David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2009, 08:00 PM   #29
Norman McCormick

Otto the Bold, gadabout, late night reveller and all round no good dude.
Attached Images

Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2009, 08:30 PM   #30
Norman McCormick

BEWARE vicious Guard Dog heating paws on kitchen stove.
Attached Images

Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote