Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th November 2006, 06:04 AM   #1
Rivkin

Default quadara from Tiflis

Subcribers to the forum know that for almost a year we have been on the quest for the quadara attribution, i.e. we were looking for the answer to the question whether quadaras where produced and used only in Iran, or it is a generic transcaucasian (georgia/azerbaijan/iranian azerbaijan) weapon.

The obvius problem is that stamped maker's mark one usually finds on these guys are common to the entire Southern Caucasus, including Tbilisi (see Astvatzaturjan), or even modern Iranian Azerbaijan. The decorations on quadaras are usually absent (one has to note that in Russia/Northern Caucasus they are classified as "knives", i.e. do not have the status of a kindjal), the hilt is a simple transcaucasian kindjal hilt.
What are the clues that can resolve the issue.

Well, there is one. Armenians from Tiflis/Karabagh were known to do something their counterpart in Iran never even thought about - putting armenian letters on their marks.

Gentlemen, courtesy of Alexey G., I bring you quadara with armenian letters on the stamp.
Attached Images

Rivkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2006, 06:26 AM   #2
Chris Evans

Hi Rivkin,

Thank you for this most interesting contribution. First one I have seen. Any idea when it was made?

Now, if it were fitted with a simple cross guard, it would rmake a good rendition of a large Bowie.....

Cheers
Chris
Chris Evans is offline   Reply With Quote