Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th March 2008, 11:20 AM   #1
Hommine

Default 2 matchlocks from Oman

I bought both guns in Oman I think they call them father of the match (abu fatillah). Any idea how old they are and if these are rare? Where they come from? They are inlaid, but I could not get the inlay very well on the photo's. There also seem to be stamps with writing in the metal at the end of the barrel.

Help much appreciated.
Attached Images

Hommine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2008, 05:42 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Hommine,
Very interesting examples! Since firearms are way out of my field, I decided to go for a joyride with my trusty Elgood! ("The Arms and Armour of Arabia", Robert Elgood, 1994, London), which has a great section on firearms.
Apparantly the tribesmen in Oman do very much favor the matchlock (binduk), and most of these either come from India (Elgood notes the shape of stock as butt as 'Tanjore' style) and via trade dhows from the western coast. It is interesting reading of the tremendous marksmanship with these anachronistic weapons, but the tribesmen seem to endure well the equally tremendous side effects of firing them. Apparantly the extreme caliber (kafal) of these, as well as the coarse powder charge (powder =barut) gives powerful recoil, which is the reason for the large padded hide butt cushion, as well as the hide wrap which strengthens the neck of the stock. From the description of firing these, it makes a .12 guage look like a popgun!

The stocks from India typically are of rosewood, and the barrels are usually from there or duplicated by Omani makers. The makers marks are intended to simulate early examples from 17th-18th c. Iberian barrels as found often in India from west coast trade. The Omani made stocks were of Acacia Arabia (termed locally 'goff') or of Acacia Vera (=sumr).

The brass tubes on the side of the neck are one for holding the lit match, and the other to extinguish. The match is typically cloth, or cord wrapped bruised bark or plaited palm.

I think this information from Elgood gives a good overview with information helpful in looking in your examples, which are excellent to illustrate these most interesting Arabian firearms.

While not necessarily rare, these are most likely 19th century, and by custom, handed from one generation to the next, and highly prized. As noted, it is amazing how these were used well into the 20th century in Arabia.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2008, 02:50 PM   #3
Hommine

Default Matchlocks

Jim,

Thanks for your info!

In the book firearms of the world page 86 also by Elgood there is more information: "The omani barrels often came from India and persia". On page 86 there is also a photo with barrels form Oman around 1700. The type of barrel shown on the Elgood photo was 20 years ago the most common type of matchlock barrel in Oman.

There seems to be hard evidence that they are late 17th century or early 18th as an identical barrel with date is located in a museum in Shri Lanka. Maybe the find of that gun changed the dating assumptions.

Oman has been occupied by the persians and the portugese in the 17th / first part 18th century. I feel that my matchlock with the silver inlay is probably persian, based on design. The one with the brass inlays is probably indian based on design.

The matchlocks were replaced in Oman during the 1880's when fast amounts of Martini Henries were imported into Oman and smuggled to resistance fighters in India (fighting the British).

I am still interested in any other comments and suggestions.

e.g. Are there books that document the makerstamps you find in the barrels??
Old 9th March 2008, 05:46 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

You're very welcome Hommine! I really enjoyed learning something about these Omani guns, and researching them in the Elgood book with your great examples to picture the topic. The Elgood book is indeed a fantastic and lavishly illustrated book on the firearms of the Islamic world, which was subsequent to the book on Arabian arms. What is amazing about it, like all of Elgood's work, is the treasure trove of footnotes that serves students of virtually all forms of ethnographic arms and armour in one degree or another. I dont have it with me at the moment, but wish I did!

While the Martini-Henry's were indeed supplanting other guns throughout Great Britain's colonies in the latter 19th century, mostly with the military of course, and were falling into other hands as they were either captured or in some degree traded and smuggled as you note. These early matchlocks remained in use by 'dyed in the wool' tribesmen however, much in the way the rapier remained in use by the Spaniard well into the 19th century. I would not be surprised if in remote regions they are still used.

There are a number of good books that hold markings, typically of armourers in general.
One huge book I know of, if I recall, "One Hundred of the Worlds Greatest Guns", has a large section of markings in the appendix (possibly this can be found interlibrary or book search, I dont recall more details, but think the title is right. Its size is incredible and its heavy.
Also makers marks books by Gyngell, Lenciewicz are excellent (I can find the titles). Some of the old references like "Arms and Armour" by Boeheim (is in German) has great markings section. Search online and a lot can be found as well.

Good luck on your research on these.....they're excellent examples, and thank you for sharing them!

All the best,
Jim
Old 9th March 2008, 09:41 PM   #5
Hommine

Default Smuggle by Omani's to the fighters

The best source on the Omani gunrunning I believe is the book "gun running and the norht-west frontier"John Murray london 1911 page 40-52 and page 122 (look for muscat).

When I was in Oman there was a lot of pottery from belgium from the same period as the martini Henry's, proably imported at the same time......

Hielke
Old 9th March 2008, 09:43 PM   #6
Hommine

Jim,

I forgot to thank you for the gun mark book references . Thanks!!!!

Hielke
Old 10th March 2008, 02:05 AM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hommine
Jim,

I forgot to thank you for the gun mark book references . Thanks!!!!

Hielke
You're very welcome Hielke! I'll add others if I can find them.

All the best,
Jim