Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 27th June 2017, 03:05 AM   #31
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you so much Mark!
As always, the discussion of pirates is fascinating, fun, perplexing, intriguing and a host of all sensations, so we owe a great deal to the writers on them who have provided us with such adventures........there lies the treasure!

I do hope you get Steve to join us.....and uh.....'luddite' (?) ...I still have a Fisher-Price keyboard!!!

Regarding Blackbeard, the quintessant figure in piracy......he was only 'on account' for just over a year, and its true, he actually never killed anyone (as far as recorded). An absolute must is the recent book by Kevin P. Duffus, "The Last Days of Blackbeard the Pirate", which reveals well researched accounts of the true character of him.
The reality of his final battle with Maynard is astounding, and far from the creative embellishing of Hollywood.

Norman, I neglected noting that wonderful chest!!! These sea chests were of course far different than the almost cliche' 'treasure chests' with hump back lids characterized by Pyle and Wyeth in their renowned illustrations. This is more like that which was of that of Cap'n Billy Bones in Stevenson's "Treasure Island" , which actually was situated in the mid 18th century, long after the 'Golden Age' had uh, 'ended' (?) NOT!

As for Blackbeard (or whatever his real name was), it is believed that his naming of his captured French slaver the Queen Annes Revenge was most telling...and that he was actually a Scot, and professed Jacobite.

Along with Blackbeard, the history of the much maligned Captain Kidd, crafted into notorious and feared pirate, is revised with a much different view in various books revealing the unfortunate treatment resulting in his unjust execution. The very document which would have exonerated him was found I believe in around 1911. There have been countless searches for his 'treasure', which of course was as fabricated as most of the rest of his case.

PS. wanted to add one more title which gives dynamic perspective to piracy, its artifacts and the true image of what these pirates were like.
"X Marks the Spot: The Archaeology of Piracy", R. Skowronek and Charles Ewen, 2006.

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 27th June 2017 at 06:02 AM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2017, 02:39 PM   #32
Norman McCormick

Hi Mark and Jim,
The chest is a decent size 4 ft 4 inches wide 2 ft 1 inch deep and 2ft 5 inches high. These were used for everything from linens to silver and of course storage of armour and weapons. The English Civil War period is notable for this type of chest. I have attached a photograph of another item from my 'bitsa' collection which would be essential for travellers/sailors/soldiers of the period, a leather costrel. This one is dated 1721. I have researched these and naming and dating is not unusual. As usual unscrupulous dealers have been known to 'enhance' an item by adding names and/or dates but I am as sure as I can be that this one is period done. Nice to hear from you both.
My Regards,
Norman.
Attached Images

Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2017, 04:22 PM   #33
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Norman,
Thank you so much for sharing this 'costrel'!! I never stop learning with you guys, I had never heard this term before, and honestly was unaware of this type of 'luggage'.

This does remind me a great deal of the kinds of baggage seen in much I have read on the land going version of pirates (though usually single operators)...the highwaymen. Apparently these also much fabled and romanticized 'scoundrels' also had a 'golden age' similar to the arbitrary period set for pirates....in their case about 1660-1714. These kinds of bags it seems I saw in many illustrations of the coaches in references to these instances of highway robbery.

Also much as with the sea going bunch, the highwaymen often came from the ranks of ex soldiers (English Civil War) now misplaced without means, as were the privateers.

I was going through "Treasure Island" again and in finding the passages about Captain Billy Bones and his 'sea chest', where the treasure map is found....in the lining!! of course.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2017, 04:54 PM   #34
Norman McCormick

Hi Jim,
These leather bottles, costrels, were an essential piece of kit for carrying water, beer etc in the days before mass produced pressed tin etc. Early colonial, American, frontiersmen would have been very familiar with this type of vessel. If you look at Austrian village/town bands you will normally find women marching alongside with a wooden costrel filled with ??? presumably to slake the thirst of the band members and probably in days gone by armed followers when on the march but really nowadays just part of the costume I suspect, see girl in bottom right of picture. Leather bottles are a good idea if you think about it lightweight and not easily broken unlike glass which would have been too expensive anyway and irreparable if broken. Leather drinking vessels, jacks, were also made in a similar fashion with double rows, of I think, saddle stitch and covered in a type of pitch and wax inside and out to make them waterproof. Anyhow enough of my ramblings
My Regards,
Norman.
Attached Images

Last edited by Norman McCormick; 27th June 2017 at 11:29 PM.
Old 27th June 2017, 08:48 PM   #35
M ELEY

Jim, I see you read Dufus' book on Blackbeard. Excellent resource book, as he went into minute details most never learn of. (I like his theory about Teach's smoking beard. He surmised that it was possibly an accident at first. The isles the sea dogs used to hide were off the beaten track, mosquito infested marshes, inlets and tributaries. The biting insects and malaria were widespread. A good smoky fire kept the critters at bay and it's possible ole Edward put the smoking fuses in his beard to drive them off. Any one of his crew who say him would have said he looked like 'the devil himself!' Just a theory of how he might have come up with the tactic. I can attest that Okracoke Isle has many marshes and biting pests) I hadn't heard of that other volume you mentioned ('X marks the Spot'), but it's now on my want list!

Norman, thank you for presenting this item! I had never heard of one before outside of the mug/blackjacks seen in taverns. Now that I know, I'll have to throw one into my pirate novels! Interesting to know that leather items went to sea as well!
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2017, 11:21 PM   #36
Norman McCormick

Quote:
Originally Posted by M ELEY
Interesting to know that leather items went to sea as well!

Hi Mark,
There have been leather costrels recovered from the Mary Rose so definitely this type of container used at sea.
My Regards,
Norman.
Attached Images

Last edited by Norman McCormick; 28th June 2017 at 10:21 AM.