Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd November 2008, 02:41 AM   #1
Ed

Default A cute old anvil

Sort of appropriate to have an anvil if you collect armor. I just got this on ebay.

The owner claimed 15th c. I suppose that it might be but I have seen some fairly Primitive looking pieces that are a lot younger. The decoration is useless for identification, it is a very common motif. In fact I have a Dolaie\r axe with some very similar designs.

I guess that there is no compelling reason for it to not be 15th century. It is a fitting addition no matter what it's age.
Attached Images

Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2008, 03:01 AM   #2
Ed

I don't care what you all think: I think it's cute.

You're all just jealous.
Old 3rd November 2008, 07:29 PM   #3
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking
Default A late Gothic anvil dated 1525

Exactly, Ed!

This heavy anvil was offered by the Munich auction house Hampel in December 2006. It was dated 1525. I don't know its whereabouts.

Michael
Attached Images

Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2008, 08:24 PM   #4
Matchlock
(deceased)

Default The old tree of life symbol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed
The decoration is useless for identification, it is a very common motif. In fact I have a Dolaie\r axe with some very similar designs.
Hi, Ed,

I think you got a really cute little anvil and it perfectly matches your collection; it may well be as early as 16th to 17th century. Originally it was meant to be put into the recess of a bigger anvil for concentrating on detailed work.

I do not believe, though, that the decoration is useless for identification. It symbolizes the ancient tree of life (Lebensbaum), though mostly - as in the case of your anvil - crudely depicted. Although probably originating in at least the Celtic period, it is most common to ironwork of the Romanic, Gothic and Renaissance periods when it is often crowned by a either a cross or a stylized trefoil, the latter mostly reduced to three dots or pellets. Actually it is also common to plain everyday ironwork through the ages and up to the Historismus period of the 19th century.

I attach two examples of early Renaissance gun barrels bearing this crowned tree of life symbol:

- a Nuremberg bronze haquebut barrel, ca. 1515-20, the pan now missing, the touch hole blocked up and a crude percussion piston applied; obviously due this 'modernization' and the more powerful 19th century black powder, the barrel is burst. The piece is in the museum of Gerolzhofen/Franconia and applied with the spurious date 1474

- a Suhl wrought iron haquebut barrel mounted in a fine gun that I posted in my thread A tinder snap matchlock haquebut, 1530's

Michael
Attached Images

Old 3rd November 2008, 11:47 PM   #5
Ed

Hi Michael. Thanks for the photos.

I think your point about the ubiquity of the symbol makes my point: you find it everywhere therefore it does not discriminate.

I am not sure that it is a Hardy Tool, that tail looks a bit thin. My original thought was that it was made to be set into a log. We'll see.

It is cute though.

Shipping from Austria was the killer ... 100 eur!!!

I came close to having it shipped to you so you could have sat on it until the exchange rate got better.

Anyway, everyone needs one.
Old 4th November 2008, 12:55 AM   #6
Matchlock
(deceased)

Of course you're taking the words right out of my mouth much better than I could utter them, Ed.

Thank you, my friend, and do let me know when you have found out more.

Good night, and do vote for the best presidential candidate tomorrow - that means all of you, folks!

Over here in ol' Europe, most of us have a definite favorite hope candidate for the U.S. and the world - but the election is yours.

Michael
Old 4th November 2008, 01:03 AM   #7
Matchlock
(deceased)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed
Shipping from Austria was the killer ... 100 eur!!!

I came close to having it shipped to you so you could have sat on it until the exchange rate got better. .
I would have loved to sit on it, Ed, no doubt about that - but would the two of us have lived to see the exchange rate getting any better?!

Michael