Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th July 2008, 11:16 AM   #1
ALEX

Default Carved Indian Dagger (Old or New?)

Ebay Link

I believe these daggers (reproductions) were made in mid/late-20th century. This particular one is of very good quality, forged and hand chiseled, and I believe shows artificial? damascus pattern.
Any other comments?
ALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2008, 12:51 PM   #2
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX
Ebay Link

I believe these daggers (reproductions) were made in mid/late-20th century. This particular one is of very good quality, forged and hand chiseled, and I believe shows artificial? damascus pattern.
Any other comments?
I also watched this one with some interest, I agree it looks like a late (or new) item recently aged. I like the quality, the handle is pretty standard, but the blade is a nice carved piece. If I didn't see so many similar pieces I'd have had some doubts, but the bluntness of the edge would have convinced me anyway.

Wasn't there a saying in classical India: "Theres nothing as shameful as a blunt sword"

I guess the Moghul swordsmiths didn't realise their decendants would one day be shipping to 50+ countries and would have to ship blunt items that don't conflict with any import laws.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote