Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 9th April 2021, 01:34 AM   #1
Montino Bourbon

Default Swap meet find

I found this at a swap meet for a very low price. Any info appreciated. I don't expect that it's a great treasure, but I don't know.
Attached Images

Montino Bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2021, 02:03 AM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up

I think it's a charming piece Montino It lacks the widening at the base of the blade but I still think it's Moro.
Between wars 1 and 2 maybe for vintage?
I don't know if it was made as a souvenir, but I doubt it, the wrapping on the scabbard looks too functional.
I would have bought it if I were at that sale.

Reset the handle and find a piece of gray MOP to fit that void.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2021, 02:25 AM   #3
Battara
EAAF Staff

This I would put much later, like the 1960s upward. I noticed that the waves, "luks", do not alternate but match each other on the opposite sides, which is not Moro traditionally.

All else is recently made Moro, perhaps Sulu.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2021, 04:59 PM   #4
David
Keris forum moderator

Yes, i would imagine the "luks" were simply cut rather than forged. As you can see the flat section in the center of the blade does not curve with the luks. And as José has pointed out, the luks don't alternate ad the would if they were forged. Whether this was done later or at the time the blade was made i do not know.
Not sure what would call this. It isn't a kris/kalis, but it seems too long to be called a gunong/punal. But i agree with Rick that it has a certain charm and i don't think this was a tourist piece either. I would do what Rick suggests. Find some grayish MOP to cut to replace the missing triangle and reset the hilt properly with some gentle overall cleanup. You could also clean up the blade while it is off the hilt and maybe try an etch, though i don't know if this blade will show any lamination. If i had seen this at a show for the right price i would have grabbed it as well.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2021, 08:25 PM   #5
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Agree with much of what has been said above. The blade is much more like a long gunong than a kris, and a thin metal guard is a common feature on gunong. The blade features and the luk created by stock removal have been described already. As Battara noted, it is probably from the mid- to late-20th C.

The MOP inserts on the scabbard suggest it was made in Zamboanga or Basilan, and such decorations were common on items made for sale to tourists. However, I don't think this is a tourist piece.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2021, 11:43 PM   #6
Bangkaya

Sama gunong/punyal........Tawi-tawi/Sibutu
Bangkaya is offline   Reply With Quote