Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd February 2016, 05:45 PM   #1
stenoyab

Default Indian Military Matchlocks

I'm making a guess at calling these military due to their shorter length, the fact they often have provision for a bayonet (of various designs), and they are of very plain design normally.

Does anyone know anything about this form of matchlock?.
Attached Images

stenoyab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2016, 05:46 PM   #2
stenoyab

More photos of the top one.
Attached Images

Old 3rd February 2016, 05:48 PM   #3
stenoyab

The middle one of the three with the reversible bayonet has an inscription on the breech tang, any ideas?

It has a holder with a vent pick, but I suspect atleast the pick is a modern replacement.
Attached Images

Old 3rd February 2016, 05:49 PM   #4
stenoyab

The bottom one is of much heavier constructions with a very large bore, almost a wall gun but for its short length, its not been cut down, the barrel has a flared muzzle.

Also interesting is the folk art to the stock on both sides, has anyone seen anything similar?
Attached Images

Old 3rd February 2016, 06:08 PM   #5
Jens Nordlunde

I am sorry to say that I dont have any clue about guns, but I do love your photos:-).

Best wishes

Jens
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2016, 02:21 PM   #6
Pukka Bundook

Good morning stenoyab.

Thanks for these photos.
They do seem to be munition -grade, rather than sporting, and as you say, the bayonets tie in with this. I hadn't seen a matchlock bayonet before so thank you for that!

By the shape of the stock, I'd say Scinde as the area of origin. They Do look very sturdy arms!

Not sure on the last one,....the doodlings, they look very Western to me. Typical sunshine and trees, and blokes on horseback, and I Think I see a moose on the other side!
Guns seem to attract all sorts of odd people. I have had them painted All gold, black and bright orange!
How about a photo of that pan with a spring release on it??

Best,
Richard.
Pukka Bundook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2016, 06:06 PM   #7
stenoyab

Any ideas on the inscription on the second one?

Out of interest the one with the tools on the other thread also has a bayonet, of the more traditional Indian matchlock form.

Trying to put the sprung pan one back together.... will try to post photos soon.
Old 6th February 2016, 06:39 PM   #8
rickystl

Hi Stenoyab.
Thanks for posting these photos. Especially with the bayonet features.
I agree with Richard. These appear to be munition grade matchlocks. The butt stocks do seem closer to the Sind (Sindh) variety. But the barrels and hardware do look Indian. Too bad about the doodling on the one butt stock. It does look American/European style folk art, and done latter.
No matter how many times I see these guns, it still amazes me how long they continued to use these matchlocks on the Continent.

Oriental Arms recently had a decorative bayonent for a matchlock on their Web-Site. Appears to have sold quickly. Not surprised.

Rick.
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2016, 06:58 PM   #9
stenoyab

I have a more traditional Indian matchlock complete with bayonet, 83" from butt to tip of bayonet.

Did post it on the this forum years ago, but the old posts appear lost, will repost some photos if its of interest.