Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th September 2008, 04:52 PM   #1
Atlantia

Default Share pics of your Spanish daggers

I want to compare my knife with others of the same type. Reason is, I want to see if mine is missing a 'tip' to the scabbard.
I've only seen one other on the net so far (with a faceted ball end to the scabbard) but I bet you guys have lots, so please post some pics (close ups on scabbard tip appreciated)

Regards
Gene

Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2008, 04:03 PM   #2
Atlantia

C'mon peeps!
Whenever I post anything there is always someone with loads of similar pieces (often much nicer ones!) These Spanish knives cant be rare can they?
Old 18th September 2008, 02:51 AM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I'm surprised there arent more responses on this Atlantia. I'd like to see more of these posted as well, and it seems there has been no shortage of response with examples in the ethnographic department.

I think that what is being missed is that while these are typically viewed as from either Albacete, or it seems also associated with Canary Islands, they also appear to have much earlier European ancestry. These cutlery items are shown in "Wallace Collection Catalogues: European Arms & Armour", Sir James Mann, 1962.....A888, 881,880, mostly in the overall profile especially the position of the haft, noting the utility function. These all seem to derive from Portugal, Spain and Italy in the general profile with a variety of other examples that are of course not that similar.

Nice example, and I'd like to know more on the attribution of this one.

All best regards,
Jim

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 18th September 2008 at 03:01 AM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2008, 03:49 AM   #4
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
I'm surprised there arent more responses on this Atlantia. I'd like to see more of these posted as well, and it seems there has been no shortage of response with examples in the ethnographic department.

I think that what is being missed is that while these are typically viewed as from either Albacete, or it seems also associated with Canary Islands, they also appear to have much earlier European ancestry. These cutlery items are shown in "Wallace Collection Catalogues: European Arms & Armour", Sir James Mann, 1962.....A888, 881,880, mostly in the overall profile especially the position of the haft, noting the utility function. These all seem to derive from Portugal, Spain and Italy in the general profile with a variety of other examples that are of course not that similar.

Nice example, and I'd like to know more on the attribution of this one.

All best regards,
Jim

Hi Jim,
thanks for your input on this one, I was begining to think I'd been sent to Coventry! ;-)
Seeing a reply was almost a 'WOW' SETI moment for me, lol.

I think you've certainly got a point, and I've completely ignored these knives over the years, despite a passion for European arms.
They are a bit of an anachronism, a cutlery shaped fancy butchers knife. No clipped point/drop point for hunting or skinning (Yuk, thankfully), they do seem to be a fighting knife or dagger. Quite an archaic shape despite their late date, and alltogether a little too asymetic with no guard etc.
I bought this one on spec really. partly out of a liking for the seller and not wanting to have wasted his time going to view it. I thought it looked familiar, but I was thinking eastern Europe or North Africa, and early 20thC.

I've actually had quite a few Navajas over the years, but always traded them, well it's a penknife! ;-)
But this time I find I've really fallen in love with this dagger, and want to compare it with other examples.
I've googled it to the N'th degree and only found one close example.

So you can see the scabbard tip? I could make a replacement with a few more to get 'feel' from!

Regards
Gene

Last edited by Atlantia; 18th September 2008 at 02:51 PM.
Old 18th September 2008, 08:22 AM   #5
OAKSP

Talking My spanish knives

Hi, this kind of knives are type b, made in the city of Albacete in the 18th century.

Those are part of my collection.

If anyone can visit spain, there is a very nice museum in Albacete. the local Cuterly Museum in albacete created in 2.004 is going all arround Europe showing part of their nice Collection of Spanish knives and folding knives. In their collection they have the Alvarez del Peral collection and a good part of Samuel setianīs collection from Argentina.
Attached Images

OAKSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2008, 10:46 AM   #6
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAKSP
Hi, this kind of knives are type b, made in the city of Albacete in the 18th century.

Those are part of my collection.

If anyone can visit spain, there is a very nice museum in Albacete. the local Cuterly Museum in albacete created in 2.004 is going all arround Europe showing part of their nice Collection of Spanish knives and folding knives. In their collection they have the Alvarez del Peral collection and a good part of Samuel setianīs collection from Argentina.

Hola OAKSP!

Thats exactly what I was looking for. A group to compare mine with (especiallly the scabbard tip). Is it possible for you to post a larger picture please?
Thanks for sharing

Regards
Gene

P.S. can you explain the classification system for these please? (A-B?)

Last edited by Atlantia; 19th September 2008 at 12:25 AM.
Old 20th September 2008, 11:59 PM   #7
Atlantia

Right, well apparently I needed to search the web in spanish to find the research material on these.
OAKSP, the material I've seen all identify this type as type-A?
It seems from the singular lack of interest here (and on English language sites) that these are not widely appreciated outside of their native lands.

Shame really, they are rather nice knives.
Old 21st September 2008, 12:12 AM   #8
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Arrow

Patience Atlantia, patience .... it's the weekend ; things are slow; many members do not check in on weekends .

Familial duties, kids etc. , y'know .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2008, 08:20 AM   #9
OAKSP

Thumbs up

Hi again !

Your are right, it is type a not b.

I have had problems for over 2 months with my computer at home and have a lot of job to do, lost mails, lost pictures, etc, etc... summer is terribly !!!

I will try to put some more pictures resized concerning to spanish knives (type a and b) and other models from different parts of Spain (Catalunya, Valencia, Aragon, Toledo and Cannary Islands).

There is a big interest on those pieces here in Spain, but they are not easy to find and also because of people are more interested on Navajas rather than knives.

I am sure Carlos, fernando and others will be more helpful than me into this matter.

Regards.

Paco.
OAKSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2008, 12:58 PM   #10
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Patience Atlantia, patience .... it's the weekend ; things are slow; many members do not check in on weekends .

Familial duties, kids etc. , y'know .
lol, Thanks Rick, I know..... patience... wax-on... wax-off... wax-on... wax-off....
Old 22nd September 2008, 01:57 PM   #11
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAKSP
Hi again !

Your are right, it is type a not b.

I have had problems for over 2 months with my computer at home and have a lot of job to do, lost mails, lost pictures, etc, etc... summer is terribly !!!

I will try to put some more pictures resized concerning to spanish knives (type a and b) and other models from different parts of Spain (Catalunya, Valencia, Aragon, Toledo and Cannary Islands).

There is a big interest on those pieces here in Spain, but they are not easy to find and also because of people are more interested on Navajas rather than knives.

I am sure Carlos, fernando and others will be more helpful than me into this matter.

Regards.

Paco.
Thanks Paco,
I think I am going to have to rely on yourself and other southern European members as I think these are not very popular elsewhere. I have found some good pictures by searching in spanish on the web, but some close-ups of the scabbard tips showing the brass buttons would show me what I need to copy to replace mine.
Thanks
Gene