Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31st December 2008, 12:00 AM   #1
ganjawulung

Default DURGA Hilt?

Dear All,
I took this photo at an exhibition, Pesta Rakyat Cirebon (Folk Festival of Cirebon) at Jalan Siliwangi, Cirebon last week. An interesting combination -- "durga" hilt (?) combined on an old "kudi tranchang" (kind of sundanese kujang) -- in an unordinary sheath (the form, and the material of the warangka). The upper warangka, the "pelokan" part (not the gandar part) is probably made of "albino-buffalo" horn...

What I want to know, is there any information on this kind of (durga) hilt?

GANJAWULUNG
Attached Images

Last edited by ganjawulung; 31st December 2008 at 02:39 AM.
ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 08:09 AM   #2
VVV

AFAIK it's first described as a Durga hilt in Martin Kerner's A4 book on Keris hilts. You will find additional info about it in Jensen's Kris Disk.
I don't think that's a hilt usually seen in Cirebon?

Michael
VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 01:18 AM   #3
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVV
I don't think that's a hilt usually seen in Cirebon?

Michael
I don't know, Michael. But at least I saw two more hilts such like this in the Pesta Rakyat Cirebon last week. They called such hilts as "gendheng permoni hilts". (I myself got two hilts such like this from Cirebon and Banyumas (south of Cirebon) area in the past...

"Gendheng Permoni" known as a goddess in Wayang world. A very beautiful goddess with "bad" manner. She wished to be Bathara Guru's (the highest god in Kahyangan or Heaven Kingdom) wife. But Bathara Guru only took Permoni's beautiful body as his wife, while he exchanged Permoni's soul/spirit with Dewi Uma's.

Previously, Dewi Uma was cursed by Bathara Guru -- to become a "raseksi" (female giant creature) after Uma refused to make ... with Guru, while they were riding "lembu Andini" or sacred buffalo of Andini.

The "raseksi's" (the giant Uma's body) with Permoni's soul, then called as Bathari Durga. While beautiful Permoni's body with good-mannered Uma's soul, as Dewi Umayi. Only Permoni's body, became Sang Hyang Bathara Guru's wife. And not Permoni's soul...

GANJAWULUNG

Last edited by ganjawulung; 1st January 2009 at 09:05 AM.
Old 1st January 2009, 02:03 AM   #4
ganjawulung

... And this is the "Bali version" of such hilt. Of course, the hilt size is much much bigger.

GANJAWULUNG
Attached Images

Old 2nd January 2009, 01:27 AM   #5
ganjawulung

Another pics on "permoni" or "durga hilts". The brown one, I found it in Banyumas area -- about 100 or more kilometers South of Cirebon (western part of Central Java), and the black one I got it from Cirebon area...

GANJAWULUNG
Attached Images

Old 2nd January 2009, 10:15 AM   #6
VVV

Ganja,

Thanks for the nice reference pictures as well as for sharing the interesting story about Gendheng Permoni, that I haven't heard before.
In the European collections it seems like the old keris with this kind of hilt were collected in outmost East Java/Blambangan and Bali, not the Cirebon/Banyumas area?

Michael
VVV is offline   Reply With Quote