Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th October 2005, 12:37 AM   #1
Chris P

Question Dha help needed for a newbie

I have had this particular sword for a while now but have just recently been able to figure out what kind it is. I'm confident enough in what I've read and seen here and at Marks site to conclude that it's a dha but thats about all I know at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Does anyone have a general idea of what swords like these are worth. Thanks,
Chris
Attached Images

Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2005, 01:35 AM   #2
Andrew

Hi Chris. Welcome to the forum.

This is an example of what is generically refered to as a Burmese "Temple Dha". (There is Burmese "bubble" script inlaid on the blade). These vary greatly in quality, with most being purely display or ceremonial items. Yours is typical of that type.

The forum rules prohibit appraisals, but I can advise you these are very common, and usually not particularly expensive.

Best regards,
Andrew
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2005, 01:50 PM   #3
RhysMichael

Andrew said most everyting I could have told you about it. The only thing I can add is that I have been told these usually have Buddist parables or stories from the life of Budda on them. I think everyone that has collected dha have had at least one over time
RhysMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2005, 02:57 PM   #4
Mark

Hi, Chris. Nothing to add to what Andrew and JT said. I got your e-mail, but for some reason my server/ISP would not accept & send my response (it bounced it said it doesn't accept e-mail to your account domain).

The one thing that I was going to note is the similarity between these and this older, presentation dha that is inscribed to a general with a date in the Burmese calender that converts to 1798. I see similarity in the shape and general decoration of the scabbard -- silver, chased, with vignette panels and hanger rings -- and in the doughnut0-shaped swellings at the top of the scabbard and where the guard would be if it had one.

Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2005, 03:26 PM   #5
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Bowditch
Hi, Chris. Nothing to add to what Andrew and JT said. I got your e-mail, but for some reason my server/ISP would not accept & send my response (it bounced it said it doesn't accept e-mail to your account domain).

The one thing that I was going to note is the similarity between these and this older, presentation dha that is inscribed to a general with a date in the Burmese calender that converts to 1798. I see similarity in the shape and general decoration of the scabbard -- silver, chased, with vignette panels and hanger rings -- and in the doughnut0-shaped swellings at the top of the scabbard and where the guard would be if it had one.

I covet that sword.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2005, 08:07 PM   #6
Mark

Default Nyah nyah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
I covet that sword.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2005, 08:25 PM   #7
ariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
I covet that sword.
As Hannibal Lecter used to say " To covet, Clarice, is to desire something one cannot have..."
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote