Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 19th May 2017, 08:32 AM   #1
F. de Luzon

Default Twist Core "18th Century" Moro Kris/Kalis

I’m sharing photos of a twist-core Moro kris/kalis that I recently repatriated to the Philippines. It had been part of the collection of a European gentleman who once lived in the islands and went back to his homeland, Austria in the 1980s.

Robert Cato in his book Moro Swords (1996) claimed that such design represented typical 18th century examples, and thus the moniker "archaic" Moro kris. There are also claims that the angle at the end of the dividing line that separate the blade and gangya is indicative of the age of the blade. However, both are unsubstantiated claims.

I do not dismiss their possibility and I hope that definitive evidence to prove the claims will eventually be discovered. At the moment however, all that is certain is that this is a rare example of the Moro kalis/kris.

Your comments and insights are most welcome.
Attached Images

Last edited by F. de Luzon; 19th May 2017 at 11:03 AM.
F. de Luzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017, 11:26 AM   #2
kai

Thumbs up

Hello Fernando,

Quote:
I’m sharing photos of a twist-core Moro Kris/Kalis that I recently repatriated to the Philippines. It had been part of the collection of a European gentleman who once lived in the islands and went back to his homeland, Austria in the 1980s.
I'm relieved to hear that this kris made it safely into the Philippines, finally! Did you got any info where and when this piece was picked up by the former owner?

Quote:
Robert Cato in his book Moro Swords (1996) claimed that such design represented typical 18th century examples, and thus the moniker "archaic" Moro kris. There are also claims that the angle at the end of the dividing line that separate the blade and gangya is indicative of the age of the blade. However, both are unsubstantiated claims.
Congrats, it definitely is a sweet twistcore kris! I'd definitely be tempted to etch it to enhance the pamor!

The extant examples seem to support the notion that the so-called archaic kalis were indeed among the very early types reaching (or being developed in) the Bangsamoro region. The exact time frame is still not established with a tendency to push it back in time, possibly the 17th century. However, it would be really great to establish some supporting evidence.

Quote:
I do not nonetheless discount their possibility and I hope that definitive evidence to prove the claims will eventually be discovered. At the moment all that is certain is that this is a rare example of the Moro kalis/kris.
Yes, it certainly is rare to see well-preserved, complete examples!

I have a hunch that your specimen is not one of the really early examples though and may originate from the 19th century: The angled separation line is longer than in the oldest pieces and also the decorative motifs at the base of the blade make me believe so; there seems to have been a revival of the archaic style (if it ever went of of fashion) during that period.

BTW, what are the dimensions of this piece?

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017, 11:40 AM   #3
kai

Lightbulb

Sorry, overlooked the specs you mentioned in the other thread:

Quote:
5 luk, 47.5 cm (18.75 inches) long blade. The total length of the blade and hilt is 59 cm (23.25 inches) and the wooden pommel is of the horse hoof motif.
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017, 03:46 PM   #4
F. de Luzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Hello Fernando,

I'm relieved to hear that this kris made it safely into the Philippines, finally! Did you got any info where and when this piece was picked up by the former owner?
Hello Kai!

It took longer than expected but I'm just happy that it was not lost in transit. Definitely worth the wait! The previous owner purchased it in the Philippines and brought it to Austria in the 1980s but that's all the information I received regarding its provenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Congrats, it definitely is a sweet twistcore kris! I'd definitely be tempted to etch it to enhance the pamor!
Thank you! I'm very tempted to start etching already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
The extant examples seem to support the notion that the so-called archaic kalis were indeed among the very early types reaching (or being developed in) the Bangsamoro region. The exact time frame is still not established with a tendency to push it back in time, possibly the 17th century. However, it would be really great to establish some supporting evidence.
I looked at primary sources/historical records and found an account where the kalis was observed in battle between Moros and Spaniards during the late 1500s. The earliest detailed description of the kalis is from the early 17th century. There are also others from succeeding years. However, the descriptions are very general and could refer to any Moro kris, whether "archaic" or supposed later styles.

It seems that this particular style was presumed to be an older design because of it's strong resemblance to the keris. Some keris and kris enthusiasts have treated it as a missing link to show the evolution of the Moro kris from the keris. However, such evolution is also an unsubstantiated claim. Again, I do not dismiss the possibility but I'm trying to find concrete evidence. For now, I am not ready to conclude anything except that this style, while typical for a Moro kris, is rare.

As always, thank you for your comments and insights!

Kind regards,

Fernando

Last edited by F. de Luzon; 19th May 2017 at 04:01 PM.
F. de Luzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017, 09:18 PM   #5
Spunjer

very nice twistcore, Fernando! it appears that your collection is growing quite bit!
i love these type of twistcore: very subtle as oppose to the topographic type. i always wonder if this is indicative of the age. or perhaps it's just a particular style a panday preferred at that time. it's hard to say.
i have an archaic kris that was discussed before. it's not twistcore, but i believe it's an indicative of an older kris:
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15955
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 12:15 AM   #6
Battara
EAAF Staff

I agree with Spunger. I usually see this type of "feathered" twist core indicative of earlier kris. The technique seems to have been lost by the time of the early 20th century.

Also I would be cautious about the angle of the end of the ganga - I have seen older forms with that type of ganga before.

In any case, I too love this type of twist core and it will probably pop out after a good etch. Please post after etching pictures.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 12:47 PM   #7
Sajen

Hello Fernando,

very nice piece! Like the others I would like to see pictures when you have etched the blade!

Regards,
Detlef

Last edited by Sajen; 21st May 2017 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Misspelling
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote