Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th October 2011, 07:49 PM   #1
archer

Default Cross Culture Shula & flyssa

These two daggers seem to have crossed culture origins. The large kard?? has a 11 inch blade Balkan style earred hilt and a sheath normally found on a Flyssa. The Shula like dagger blade has a typical Shula sheath, but, the hilt is Turkish style. Are these daggers from a separate culture or simply a blend? Your thoughts, comments?
Attached Images

archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 10:52 PM   #2
Emanuel

Hello,

Interesting daggers. They certainly seem to be a blend of Balkan Ottoman and North African styles. The 'kard' scabbard deviates from flyssa types in having a metal mouth and chape with Balkan motifs. These are never seen on native Kabyle flyssa as far as I know. The wood carving is also different than usual. Can you post a picure of the other side of the scabbard? The handle is purely Balkan I think.
The other dagger is similar to the Moroccan "wedding nimcha" in overall appearance but again the details do not seem North-African to me.
I'm thinking early-mid-20th century pieces.

Regards,
Emanuel
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 04:04 AM   #3
archer

Emanuel, I think the flyssa/ Kards' sheath is rather recent too. It's blade seems far older. I've attached a photo of some other Flyssa sheaths they are similar.
The Shula type is very close to this one: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ighlight=shula
posted by Dom. Blade shapes are similar also. Mine has 1880 and 1226 in Arabic on the blade=s 1811. I haven't found a good shot of a kodme mentioned by Tom Hyle.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=13429
Attached Images

archer is offline   Reply With Quote