Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th June 2009, 03:56 PM   #1
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default An (other) hand cannon ... with marks

I assume i am not (yet) a cannon maniac, but rumours run out there in a way that a distinct member of this Forum spotted this fascinating example in a (Spanish) website and engaged in the whole process to acquire it and forward it to me.
I assume it is a great satisfaction to everyone when a piece holds marks, namely those of the maker; even if not identifiable, which sometimes is a question of time ... at least one always hopes so.
This one has 15,5 cms length and a 19 mm calibre.
Particular care was taken by the smith at finishing its rear end; faceted sides and an upper edge much more pronounced than the bottom, suggesting actual accomodation of the late to a stock bed ... i would say, within my expertize .
The marks are in an usual position and, as i said, i hope to see or hear about similar ones some day.
The stock was first ordered for a small cannon i have acquired a few weeks ago, but i rushed to the carpenter to alter the measurements to fit this specific one, as i see it more invinting for an immediate stock project.
The wood is kambala (the name alone excites me); the (crossbow type) shape is roughly based on the example from the Suhl Museum, posted in this forum by Michael.
Now i will have to go to the smith to organize the barrel bands.
I would feel rather comfortable with receiving your Gentlemen's opinnions ... either satisfactory or desillusive
Fernando

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2009, 04:02 PM   #2
Spiridonov

OOO! Looks great! I like short early handgonnes
Spiridonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2009, 04:48 PM   #3
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

Well done, Fernando,

The marks seem to me like a stylized (dotted) cross which is quite commonly found on 15th century short barrels.

Best,
Michael
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2009, 06:25 PM   #4
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiridonov
OOO! Looks great! I like short early handgonnes
Thank you Spiridonov ; i am starting to like them also. Amazing thing, less than a year ago i didn't even know they existed .
Fernando
Old 28th June 2009, 06:32 PM   #5
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchlock
Well done, Fernando ...
Thank you Michael. You know that a compliment coming from you in this area works like a tonic.

Quote:
... The marks seem to me like a stylized (dotted) cross which is quite commonly found on 15th century short barrels...
Good ... very good . Seller had it dated XVIII century, but even i knew he was wrong by far.
Thanks again
Fernando
Old 29th June 2009, 11:29 PM   #6
Philip

Congratulations, Fernando! Finding an example that is clearly marked is a bonus. I also like the way that the maker designed and made this thing with some thought as to the way it is supposed to fit securely into the stock. Looks great in the reproduction wood "tiller" that you had made -- some tool marks on the wood (see the two examples with stocks in Howard L. Blackmore's book), some stain and linseed oil rub to the surface, and a hammered iron barrel band or two and you're all set to go!

It's amazing that you have managed to snag several of these early gonnes in the Iberian peninsula within so short a time -- these weapons aren't exactly common. Keep up the good work!
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2009, 05:42 AM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Fantastic piece Fernando! What great workmanship in recreating that stock also, looks perfect in it. You are really doing great in acquisitions my friend.

Michael, as always you know me and my curiosity on markings. Can you say more on the stylized cross, was it just on firearms, and was it typically used in Spain or in other European arms?

Philip, its great to have you here!!! I always look forward to your input, and your scope of knowledge seems to have no bounds.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2009, 01:40 PM   #8
Matchlock
(deceased)

Hi Jim,

By experience, and gainst the background of Christianity, I should say that the cross symbol has been quite common to a lot of European (including Portuguese and Spanish) ironwork and also to blades. One main reason may have been that the bearer was hoping to be protected from evil - either the gun exploding or an attacking enemy. In the South German and alpine regions it is often found as part of an orb and cross, as you will remember well from many blade marks. I have come to interpret this combination as a symbol of the Holy Roman Empire, both religious and political.

I include images of two heavy Late Gothic wrought iron barrels in my collection, each ca. 35 cm long; one of them is struck with a group of three circles and illegible stylized letters (date?!) surmounted by a cross.

The other shows a cudely incised cross symbol right before the raised brim of the touch hole moulding.

Best,
Michael
Attached Images

Last edited by Matchlock; 30th June 2009 at 08:07 PM.
Old 30th June 2009, 07:54 PM   #9
fernando

Thank you for your kind words, Philip.
I have worked again on the wood, to make it look more rustic. I find linseed oil a bit sticky; i guess i will use the old traditional vieux chaine, as i did with the previous one.
The smith is already booked for a session tomorrow , to make a couple hammered iron bands for the thing.
Fernando
Old 30th June 2009, 09:55 PM   #10
Norman McCormick

Hi Fernando,
Can we see the plans for Castle V. your going to need it soon.
My Regards,
Norman.
Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2009, 10:28 PM   #11
fernando

Hi Jim,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Fantastic piece Fernando! What great workmanship in recreating that stock also, looks perfect in it. You are really doing great in acquisitions my friend ...
What can i say?
Fernando
Old 30th June 2009, 10:40 PM   #12
fernando

Hi Michael, thank you for the input

Quote:
... hoping to be protected from evil - either the gun exploding or an attacking enemy...
It is amazing how people non initiated in early firearms history seem not to believe that the risk of guns exploding in the gunners faces was extremely high. I have read in more that one source that many a times gunners were selected among convicted guys .

Quote:
...I include images of two heavy Late Gothic wrought iron barrels in my collection, each ca. 35 cm long; one of them is struck with a group of three circles and illegible stylized letters (date?!) surmounted by a cross.
The other shows a cudely incised cross symbol right before the raised brim of the touch hole moulding ...
Fascinating. I had already noticed the circles in that cannon of yours, but haven't discerned the cross.
That beats by far the humble mark in my example
Fernando

Last edited by fernando; 1st July 2009 at 01:54 PM. Reason: spell and addition
Old 30th June 2009, 10:45 PM   #13
fernando

Hi Norman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman McCormick
Hi Fernando,
Can we see the plans for Castle V. your going to need it soon.
My Regards,
Norman.
Don't tell the others, but i am already having one built ... Scott style
The thing is i have a tolerant wife ... i mean, in what touches not minding me stuff the apartment walls and cabinets with my 'irons'.
Fernando
Old 1st July 2009, 01:21 PM   #14
Matchlock
(deceased)

Hi Fernando,

See?

Best,
Michael
Attached Images

Old 1st July 2009, 01:58 PM   #15
fernando

Thank you Michael,
I meant to say that i have discerned it in your post in this thread (#8), while not in previous threads.
Fernando
Old 1st July 2009, 02:30 PM   #16
Matchlock
(deceased)

Okay.

m
Old 1st July 2009, 03:32 PM   #17
Atlantia

Hiya Nando!
You are a Cannon maniac!
Another nice addition to the collection buddy! I don't know how you manage it?

I think its about time you formed Fernando's 1st Militia Platoon.

Regards
Gene
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2009, 02:36 PM   #18
fernando

Hi Gene, thank you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantia
Hiya Nando!... You are a Cannon maniac! ... I think its about time you formed Fernando's 1st Militia Platoon...
... But you ain't seen nothing yet
Wait till i gather a whole batery, to atack a Brit position
Just can't give you the date and coordinates, in order not to loose the surprise element .
Fernando
Old 2nd July 2009, 02:43 PM   #19
fernando

Default Just about finished

Make way for the artillery .
As rough as i could manage.
A detail i repute worthy of note : the bands are fixed with real old salvaged handmade nails.
Fernando

Attached Images

Old 2nd July 2009, 04:02 PM   #20
Matchlock
(deceased)

Now that's one talented restorer!

I like it, Fernando, I like it a lot!

While I have come to accept and preserve fragments the way they are I have to admit that your solution adds a lot to a conception of how the complete piece would have looked like originally.

Btw, would you consider reconstructing a breech loading cannon if you had an original breech?

Michael
Old 2nd July 2009, 05:54 PM   #21
fernando

Hi Michael,
Thanks a lot for your (too) kind words .

Quote:
Now that's one talented restorer!
I like it, Fernando, I like it a lot!
While I have come to accept and preserve fragments the way they are I have to admit that your solution adds a lot to a conception of how the complete piece would have looked like originally...
You know, i am not a replica guy, nor do i embark into complex reconstructions; searching for (local ordinary) people willing to do the job, is a very hard or even unthinkable task . In the least they take their time to be done and, by character, i only understand things that can be immediately achieved. But this thing of the cannons gave me a feeling that i could (and should) do it. I couldn't beleive it when both carpenter and smith accepted my 'order' for the project; couldn't less beleive it when they accepted it for the second time.

Quote:
...Btw, would you consider reconstructing a breech loading cannon if you had an original breech?
Michael
Much to complex a job for a country mini collector; if breeches come by, i guess i will be glad to make a little stand for them . Then i wait till i win the jackpot and i'll buy the respective cannon .
Fernando
Old 2nd July 2009, 06:19 PM   #22
Matchlock
(deceased)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Hi Michael,
Thanks a lot for your (too) kind words .

Much to complex a job for a country mini collector; if breeches come by, i guess i will be glad to make a little stand for them . Then i wait till i win the jackpot and i'll buy the respective cannon .
Fernando
I guess that's exactly the way to do it! Anyway I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you to hopefully get one soon. Maybe a tiny jackpot will do the trick ...

Best,
m