Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Miscellania

Old 23rd May 2017, 05:16 PM   #1
Drabant1701

Default What is this?

I have bought a small object and I can not figure out what it is. Its not for lack of trying though, I have gone through my arms amd armor literature hoping that it would be something related to that subject but found nothing. The Internet has not provided much help either. So yet again I turn to the forum for help.

The object is small 2,6 cm long and 2,2 cm in diameter. Its made of copper with text inlay in gold. I have copy´d the text to paper for easy reading.

The text may be some sort of magic square. like the four square once on shamshirs, but larger. I have looked at persian numerals and letters and found some matches, but there are some I cant find anywhere. It may well be nonsense letters, like on balkan pistols and such.

As for the object it self, Im thinking maybe part of some jewlery like an amulet. Or an end piece for tightening ropes on a small bag or satcel. Or a mouthpiece for a water pipe. I was kind of hoping for the en piece of a persian shamshir grip, but I dont think that is what it is.

Any comments or ideas will be appriciated.
Attached Images

Drabant1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2017, 06:00 PM   #2
Drabant1701

I´m adding a picture of the object next to a normal size tulwar hilt for comparance.
Attached Images

Drabant1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2017, 02:17 AM   #3
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Very Interesting ! What springs to mind are the Magic Prayer Cups with verse and numerical magic squares but rather than simply offering this simple explanation here is a good account of the type of object, although not the same by any means, but giving a more in depth idea at; https://books.google.com.om/books?id...%20cup&f=false
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote