Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th August 2013, 09:24 PM   #1
Marcus den toom

Default 17th century armada chest with 9 bolts

Hardly a weapon, but rather a protection device against ravaging hordes of probably not the smartest people, i present the 17th century armada chest from my collection

Weighing an approxamatly 50 kg (that is a 100 pounds) this chest was designed to keep your gold Dukats save from any scum trying to rob you blind. I don't know how much good it would do when you would just charge your pike trough it, but i seem to recall that the avarage peasant didn't have pike, so yeah...

I also made a short movie about the inner workings of this iron girlfriend and i reconstructed a spare key (combining it with a wheel lock key).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4JXbksSkcw

Marcus den toom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2013, 10:48 PM   #2
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Yes, hardly a weapon and hardly within the scope of the forum but, nevertheless, a most interesting apparatus ... apparently in a pristine condition for its age.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2013, 11:55 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Actually in my personal view, this is a most exciting item, and for myself and Cap'n Mark , it truly does add dimension to the favorite maritime topics especially the Pirates! While not a weapon itself....these and thier contents were certainly the focus of attention bringing the USE of weapons!!!

These chests are extremely desirable today for collectors, and I always find the lore around pirates and buried treasure most entertaining.
Despite fanciful Victorian notions, there are few accounts of any 'treasure' ever buried by pirates except an established instance by Capt. William Kidd I believe in N.Y. That was recovered at the time though...despite the many tales of his, Blackbeards and many other treasures all over.

As I have understood, most of these 'armada chests' (actually they were called 'strong boxes', the armada chest term again Victorian) seem to have been produced almost invariably in Germany, usually Nuremberg or Ausberg, and late 16th through 17th c.

These often varied in size, but the smaller ones for jewelry were 'caskets' if I recall. As noted this one is nearly 100 pounds empty....which when one imagines it filled with gold (very heavy) makes the gross weight formidable at best. Imagine a couple of pirates tramping through the sand carrying this full of gold!!!
The often illustrated known hump back chest in familiar pirate oriented artwork was actually for travel/clothing etc. and appeared in the 19th c. I believe.

The only known 'treasure chest' with known provenance to a 'pirate' belonged to Thomas Tew (died 1695) and was not dug up, but acquired from his family after his death. It is displayed in St. Augustine, Florida and is one of this 'armada' type with metal straps.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2013, 07:05 AM   #4
kronckew

armorial connection: it certainly could be used to hide your burgeoning knife collection from your dearly beloved and protect you from her finding you spend more on them than on her. thus serving a protective role, deflecting verbal barbs and arrows of vituperation.

sadly, i didn't have one.

don't have a wife any more either.

i miss the dogs more than i miss her tho.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2013, 03:09 PM   #5
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Actually in my personal view, this is a most exciting item, and for myself and Cap'n Mark , it truly does add dimension to the favorite maritime topics especially the Pirates! While not a weapon itself....these and thier contents were certainly the focus of attention bringing the USE of weapons!!! .
Shrewd approach to forum scope

Quote:
As I have understood, most of these 'armada chests' (actually they were called 'strong boxes', the armada chest term again Victorian) seem to have been produced almost invariably in Germany, usually Nuremberg or Ausberg, and late 16th through 17th c.
Well, assuming this example is genuine and dated within the period you mention, is in an extremely good condition. It must have had a thorough cleaning treatment ... sandblasting ? And after that it had some finishing cover, judging by that greyish colour ?
Quote:
As noted this one is nearly 100 pounds empty....which when one imagines it filled with gold (very heavy) makes the gross weight formidable at best. Imagine a couple of pirates tramping through the sand carrying this full of gold!!!
Yes indeed Jim; gold being heavier than lead, it would need the whole crew to carry this chest fully loaded ... changing shifts every hundred steps. .
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2013, 06:13 PM   #6
Marcus den toom

@ Fernando, as far as i know these strong boxes/ armada chests are almost allays covered in a layer of black (tar/????). Mine was also covered in a layer of shoe shine.. so i have meticulously cleaned it with pure bezine. The greyish look is because it was standing in the sun, it is actually pretty black

Nevertheless it is very well preserved, only the floor panels have suffered minor damage.
The lock is still pretty strong and nearly 100% complete.
seeing as my treasure chest doesn't have a decorative lockplate which came into fashion in the early 1700s i can honestly say to everyone it is at least from somewhere around 1680 and mostlikely older. The models from the late 16th century are smaller and are simplistical in comparison to the variation i have.

Though a good museum currator coould probably tell a better story than me
A good source for any antique is the newly opened national museum in the Netherlands (my birth country).
https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/en/collection/NG-NM-7658
https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/en/search...t%20&ii=4&p=11
Marcus den toom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2013, 06:43 PM   #7
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Salaams all,
Portuguese Chests often used for weapons on board ships and typically on the Fort Gun line. Originally made to transport sugar and spices. Pre 1650 Muscat.

Below is a huge antique wheeled chest ... "The Javanese Weapons Chest".

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 26th August 2013 at 07:01 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote