Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 9th April 2017, 07:05 PM   #1
chiefheadknocker

Default inscribed choora for discussion

hi , I have recently acquired this what I think is an afghan choora , this dagger I presume is a afghan choora I would just like to know if anyone can make out the description on the top of the handle also age etc ,I really don't know much about them ,thanks
Attached Images

chiefheadknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2017, 12:36 AM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Looks like 1944 inscribed on the back strap. Some of our members may be able to translate the rest.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2017, 06:39 AM   #3
motan

Default Nice

Hi, nice choora! Not very old though. I think that they are still made today, so 1944 is not that young either. As for the Arabic scipt, I read "wa'sai" but I am new to reading Arabic and I am not sure. Anyway, don't know what it means, so you better wait for further information..
motan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2017, 05:33 PM   #4
G. Mansfield

I agree with Ian with the date of 1944 inscribed above. Although not one of the early one's, it has some quality to it. The newest one Iv'e seen was inscribed with a date from the 1980's which was a gift to someone special (I can't remember the exact details). I had one very similar to that one (See Photo), which was of poor quality and hilt of plastic. This one looks bone and has much better quality than the newer ones. I was also bidding on this. Good catch!

-Geoff
Attached Images

G. Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2017, 04:42 AM   #5
ariel

Dating of Chooras is notoriously difficult: 99.999% of them are not dated or inscribed. Only materials ( plastic handles) or stupid etchings of the blade + general condition can give general clues. I have two Chooras whose wooden scabbards with paper labels were dated by a world class paper/ wood restorer to mid-19th century. Circumstantial, but still evidence.

There was a sweeping theory of some person that any Afghani weapon with even trace of brass is no earlier than 20th century ( this is despite Moser and Egerton's collections). Balderdash, of course, but it was published in the proceedings of a conference in Russia:-)
I guess that Afghani Khyber denizens did not care much about future academic disputations, but just adapted a Pesh Kabz to their own tastes and kept it unchanged for hundreds of years. It could stab good! And that all that mattered to them.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2017, 01:31 PM   #6
Lee
EAAF Staff

Default Yet another translation request...

Here is another example that belonged to Lew Waldman and has since been sold by his Estate. I doubt enough of the paper label remains to decipher most of what it says, but I've been curious if there is anything there of interest.

Archive listing
Attached Images

Lee is offline   Reply With Quote