Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 29th May 2014, 04:33 PM   #1
VANDOO
(deceased)

Default SILVER FILIGREE WITH BEADS KERIS

THIS ITEM CLOSED ON EBAY A FEW MONTHS AGO HOPEFULLY THERE IS NOTHING LIKE IT CURRENTLY ON SALE. I HAD A FEW QUESTIONS AS TO ITS ORIGIONS.? IT IS SAID TO BE BUGIS AND HAS SILVER FILAGREE DECORATION AND IS INSET WITH BEADS OF SOME SORT. I WAS WONDERING IF THIS IS A OLD TRADITIONAL FORM OF HANDLE OR SOMETHING MORE RECENT AND WHERE THEY ARE MADE. IT KIND OF REMINDS ME OF THE TURKISH WEAPONS INLAYED WITH RED CORAL. RED CORAL WOULD HAVE LOOKED BETTER ON THIS EXAMPLE THAN THE BEADS USED BUT STILL AN INTERESTING HANDLE.
Attached Images

VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2014, 06:41 PM   #2
Sajen

Hello Barry,

it's a recent kerdas handle. There are so far I know old handles of this form, by the old ones the stones are rubys.
Here some old threads where similar hilts are shown: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...+kerdas+silver
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...senjata+pusaka

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2014, 06:57 PM   #3
Battara
EAAF Staff

Not only do I agree with Detlef, but it looks like this is not so much silver but perhaps silver plate at best, more likely brass like others of this recent type I have seen.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2014, 09:52 PM   #4
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
it's a recent kerdas handle. There are so far I know old handles of this form, by the old ones the stones are rubes.
Lots of NEW ones with rubies as well i would say. Most of the dress in that first link are very recent creations. But there are probably older examples of this style of hilt about.
BTW Barry, these stones are not beads, but what are known as "cabochons" regarding their cut. Not sure what kind of stone they are or even if they are truly stone.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2014, 02:49 AM   #5
Mick

Hey Guys

There are more of these items on http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10665.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote