Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th June 2012, 11:24 AM   #1
Indianajones

Default Ancient Luzon/Moro? axe with amulet-wheel

Hi guys, here a quite interesting and puzzling piece I'd like to share. One of the oldest Luzon (?) pieces I know; to my judgement a bit after 1800(?). To my opinion the blade and the grip are put together at one time as the blade is Igorot; Kalinga and the grip is South-Philippine (perhaps chinese/japanese?).

Interesting also is the amulet engraving on the blade -etched/engraved?- in a native filipino language. Once I have looked up the signs and they represent each a lettergroup -like 'ka' 'ma'- which together would make a word or line around the wheel. Though couldnt make anything of it as one need to know the language and couldnt translate all of the signs.

My questions; would this indeed be a put-together-piece? Is the grip moro/South Philippine?
Am also very curious if anyone has/knows any other of such amulet-language-wheels or similar? And who knows we might be able to translate this . . .??
Attached Images

Indianajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 12:43 PM   #2
Sajen

What a beautiful and extraordinary piece! Envy, envy!!
Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 06:27 PM   #3
Indianajones

Its not mine actually; was put off by the broken point, moro grip (?) and . . . most imp. the excedingly high price asked.
Old 8th June 2012, 07:21 PM   #4
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

I HAVE SEEN AND HANDLED THIS AX A FEW YEARS BACK AT THE ETHINOGRAPHIC ART SHOW IN SANTA FE NEW MEXICO. ITS THE ONLY ONE I HAVE SEEN LIKE IT SO IS LIKELY THE SAME ONE. I THINK THERE IS A PICTURE OF IT IN THE SELLERS EXHIBIT IN AN OLD POST ABOUT THE SANTA FE SHOW. (IT APEARED TO ME TO BE FAIRLY CONSISTANT IN AGE SO IF IT WAS PUT TOGETHER IT WAS A LONG WHILE BACK JUST MY OPINION)
THE SELLER I MET AT THE SHOW IS VERY KNOWLEGABLE AND ONLY SELLS TOP QUALITY ITEMS. HE HAS SOME OF THE BEST MANDAUS I HAVE EVER SEEN. I HAVE ALWAYS ENJOYED TALKING TO HIM AND LOOKING AT HIS ITEMS BUT HE IS IN A PRICE RANGE WELL ABOVE MY PAY GRADE. IF I COULD JUST COME INTO SOME SERIOUS MONEY I WOULD LOOK HIM UP.
ITS NICE TO SEE SOME GOOD PICTURES OF IT AGAIN.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 08:48 PM   #5
Indianajones

Hi Vandoo, yep you'r right. I actually also spotted this piece FROM the very corner of that pic posted on the "nr1 tribalartsite" and contacted mr. 'S' about it. Although I have bought item(-s?) from him before this was a tad too high and didnt know the tip was broken.

Though still a very interesting piece and quite a mind puzzler (to me . .!?)
Perhaps the moro experts here can unfold the mystery on this object!
Old 10th June 2012, 09:49 PM   #6
Battara
EAAF Staff

I agree with Vandoo, have seen this before. I wouldn't say Moro influence, since the okir is vastly different than most Moro okirs on the ferrule. Nice to see that some of the script is old pre-Spanish Filipino.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote