Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th November 2018, 01:26 PM   #1
Belgian1

Default Help to identifying a type of (British) sword

Hello from Belgium, to all members,
Yesterday, in a French auction room I noticed the passage of that seems to be an British sword of the type looked like a model 1831 but I did not know this type of deep carving on the blade, or this type of guard in the shape of S. In addition I did not know if there were badges with a rose surrounded by laurel on the British sword guard.
It was accompanied by a "scarce" Napoleonic scabbard for a An IX sword, maybe it is what made this lot interesting, except if the English sword seems a good model 1831 for you.

Thank you for your opinions and nice afternoon to all
Attached Images

Belgian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2018, 11:17 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgian1
Hello from Belgium, to all members,
Yesterday, in a French auction room I noticed the passage of that seems to be an British sword of the type looked like a model 1831 but I did not know this type of deep carving on the blade, or this type of guard in the shape of S. In addition I did not know if there were badges with a rose surrounded by laurel on the British sword guard.
It was accompanied by a "scarce" Napoleonic scabbard for a An IX sword, maybe it is what made this lot interesting, except if the English sword seems a good model 1831 for you.

Thank you for your opinions and nice afternoon to all

Nice sabre Belgian!

After the Napoleonic campaigns in Egypt, both French and British forces were enthralled with the curved sabres of the Mamluk warriors. The influence of exotica extended to both England and the Continent, and officers began to adopt these kinds of 'pistol grip' (Ottoman) hilts on curved sabres.

The British M1831 sabres for general and staff officers was a regulation pattern but these swords were well in use by both French and British officers.

The decorative detail in the hilt may offer clues as to what context this sword was intended, also the deep relief on the blade which you say is carved. The British versions seem to have been typically acid etched and had makers names (one I had was to Manton & Co. Calcutta) and usually had ivory hilts.

I suspect this one is French, which may account for the accompanying scabbard, but I do not have the French pattern and military references, often thry can be found online ,I would search under French mameluke sabres.

These are very attractive and desirable sabres, and I would mention that the French military even established Mamluk units, and officers of these were of course French.

Perhaps someone out there better acquainted with French military swords might have more specific details.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2018, 12:15 AM   #3
Madnumforce

I agree with Jim that the scabbard fittings look pretty French. It's a pattern often found on the Chasseur à Cheval de la Garde saber. But on the other hand, that style of etching is about as unFrench as can be. This style of etching was never seen on French sabers, ever. But Matt Easton sold a Eickhorn made 1889 pattern Belgian cavalry officer saber that had a similar kind of etching. As for the style of the hilt, and mostly "crossguard" I can't really tell. I believe I never came across one that had the "shield" so bulky. Overall it's rather weird.
Madnumforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2018, 10:44 AM   #4
Belgian1

Default Help to identifying a mysterious "1831 type sword"

Thank you very much for your information that helps me to direct my research. Yes it is true that the engraving is very deep. I will think rather of a model used in India or for a "??? Indian Officer of the British Army ???". I say that because there is an engraving of Eastern type crossed swords surmounted by a typical Indian or Indo-Persian building ... (????) may be a furbisher working in India for the British Army ... . ????
I put enlargements of photos to better make you an impression of engravings and guard brass.
Have a good day
Attached Images

Old 15th November 2018, 10:55 AM   #5
Belgian1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madnumforce
I agree with Jim that the scabbard fittings look pretty French. It's a pattern often found on the Chasseur à Cheval de la Garde saber. But on the other hand, that style of etching is about as unFrench as can be. This style of etching was never seen on French sabers, ever. But Matt Easton sold a Eickhorn made 1889 pattern Belgian cavalry officer saber that had a similar kind of etching. As for the style of the hilt, and mostly "crossguard" I can't really tell. I believe I never came across one that had the "shield" so bulky. Overall it's rather weird.
Yes I agree for the scabbard. This scabbard does not belong to this sword, it was presented during the sale but it is a Napoleonic scabbard for a An IX Model Officer's Sword of a light Cavalry Regiment. (This thype of scabbard is more rare that to find the sword itself). But I agree that it is totally different origin that this (supposed 1831 type)
Kind regards
Old 15th November 2018, 12:16 PM   #6
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Question A lead ...

-
Attached Images

fernando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2018, 12:40 PM   #7
Madnumforce

Isn't the thin line six-pointed star a hugely common "mark" on British swords? I know it's part of the proof slug. Maybe it's a try at a British (Wilkinson, etc) blade counterfeit?

Matt Easton's video on the so-called "star of David" and proof slug
Madnumforce is offline   Reply With Quote