Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 1st January 2013, 11:46 PM   #1
PClemente

Default The Higher Standard

Hi All,

There is a predicament that I have been aware of the past couple of years and I just wanted to bring to everyone's attention as well as open up a possible discussion. Lately I have been aware of a number of arms and armor dealers exaggerating their claims (and outright lying) about merchandise in order to appeal to more collectors. I will leave out specific names, etc. The misinformationn can simply be in the dating of an object or making false claims regarding its supposed untouched condition. For example, months ago I was interested in a supposed military fusil from the period of the F&I and Revolutionary Wars. Unfortunately (or in this case fortunately) another deal fell through so I could not afford the gun. Later I directed a knowledgeable collector/friend to the site and he informed me that the fusil was a good example of a fowler sporting gun, and as such exhibits the characteristics of the popular fowling pieces of the period. As a result, he asserted the claim that the gun was a military fusil a stretch at best. Some additional research on his part turned up the same gun in a recent auction described by a major auction house as a "sporting gun" affirming his conclusions. Now the dealer originally assured me that the gun was not a fowler, and I was thinking that if I had purchased the piece that I would have returned it knowing this information. Anyway, I couldn't help but think the dealer was playing me with a lot of misinformation in order to get a sale, especially in light of the fact that sometimes the distinction between true military fusils and fowlers can be ambiguous. Naively I took his word as truth because of his experience in the knowledge, but fortunately never acquired what for all intents and purposes was a nice sporting gun! I could just see the dealer asserting that no matter what other sources claimed HE thought it was a military fusil. I would like to think a more honest dealer would have answered my initial questions regarding the nature of the "military fusil" more truthfully.Just another lesson of "caveat emptor!" The story reaffirmed the idea that before buying a piece that really appeals to you to conduct your own research so you don't make a costly mistake!
I view his forum as a great opportunity to gain knowledge and insight into arms and armor (and I have learned a lot here), as well as a chance to keep each other informed regarding trends in the hobby, both positive and negative.

Last edited by fernando; 2nd January 2013 at 01:11 PM.
PClemente is offline   Reply With Quote