Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th May 2017, 03:57 PM   #1
David
Keris forum moderator

Default Anak Alang via Nova Scotia

I am never surprised when keris show up in odd places. I found this Sumatran Anak Alang in a small antique store in Nova Scotia. It was mislabeled as a Javanese keris, but otherwise the shop owner had some awareness of what it was. It's not in the best of shape, but frankly the price was too good to leave it behind and it looked like it needed some love.
I have been calling it the "backward keris" because some aspects seem reversed. The hilt is fixed in that position. I have gone back and forth a little, but based upon the nature of the fine cracks along the side of it i believe it may be horn. I am familiar with this over all form, but i have never seen one with quite the same carved motifs and patterns.
It would also appear that the silver collar is on backwards, though it seems that it may have been this way for a while. I have not decided yet whether it would be worth may trouble (or in my skill set) to fix this. I think that perhaps some years back this old sheath was probably "renovated" The silver end piece is not the same age or patter as the piece at the throat of the keris and isn't really fitted as well. The pendokok may be a lesser white metal or a low-grade silver. Hard to tell at this point.
Please excuse the poor set of photos. I shot these with my iPhone instead of doing a more serious job with my camera. I also cannot provide any more photos as i chose to leave this in my new house in NS and its first "house keris"
Any advice on ifs or how-tos on setting this sheath straight would be appreciated. I would not want to damage the piece further simply to turn all the parts around properly and the silver bands seem rather thin and delicate.
Attached Images

David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2017, 08:22 AM   #2
kayoba84

If I may ask David, where in Nova Scotia? Which Antique Shop? Lived in Halifax for 6 years some time ago, and travelled extensively throughout the Province..
kayoba84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2017, 01:11 PM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayoba84
If I may ask David, where in Nova Scotia? Which Antique Shop? Lived in Halifax for 6 years some time ago, and travelled extensively throughout the Province..
It was in a store on Quinpool Rd. called Finer Things Antiques. Depending on when you were there they used to be on the corner of Agricola & Almon until just a few years ago.
Many years back i did pick up a touristy contemporary Madurese keris from the Capt. of the Picton Castle in their home port of Lunenburg, NS. If you don't know, that's a 3-masted tall ship that sails around the world every year on educational voyages. Since Bali is one of their ports of call they often brought back a keris or two to stock their storefront in Lunenburg, though they were always rather cheap and a bit touristy. They have since closed that storefront. I did enjoy the one i got from the Capt. for a time because it had been his personal possession and had sailed with him many times around the world, but i finally traded it a few years back to a friend for a Toraja war vest.
Old 18th May 2017, 05:51 AM   #4
David
Keris forum moderator

So, 100 views and no comments on the keris itself? Suggestions for (or if to) renovation? Comments about the hilt form? Nothing?
Old 18th May 2017, 06:22 AM   #5
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up Predestined

David,
It was meant to be your NS house keris; it found you in the Maritimes after all.
I'm not you; but were I you I'd just try to reorient the handle and leave the rest alone.

The scabbard toe comes from a different hand than the one that made the collar piece.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2017, 04:43 PM   #6
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
David,
It was meant to be your NS house keris; it found you in the Maritimes after all.
I'm not you; but were I you I'd just try to reorient the handle and leave the rest alone.

The scabbard toe comes from a different hand than the one that made the collar piece.
Yeah, i noted that about the toe. Different maker, time and quality. I would image that at some time someone decided to renovate this sheath, took everything off and then replaced the original parts in the wrong position, adding the newer toe piece to replace a damaged one.
I would like to loosen the hilt an re-positon it. I think it may have been glued. Hate when that happens.
Old 18th May 2017, 06:16 PM   #7
GIO

Interesting piece, David. Should you decide to reverse the hilt, may I suggest you look for a best selut. The one on the kris seems a bad western imitation. I would also try to eliminate the black rust spots on the blade with lemon or pinapple juce, but this is my craze: I hate rust.
The hilt is a simplified version of the so-called "tapak kuda" style and seems really horn. The blade SEEMS too long to be called "anak alang". If it is 18" or more it should be called properly "panjang".
The scabbard tip is really unsightly (another bad imitation ?) but I have no idea how to fix this problem
GIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2017, 07:10 PM   #8
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIO
Interesting piece, David. Should you decide to reverse the hilt, may I suggest you look for a best selut. The one on the kris seems a bad western imitation. I would also try to eliminate the black rust spots on the blade with lemon or pinapple juce, but this is my craze: I hate rust.
The hilt is a simplified version of the so-called "tapak kuda" style and seems really horn. The blade SEEMS too long to be called "anak alang". If it is 18" or more it should be called properly "panjang".
The scabbard tip is really unsightly (another bad imitation ?) but I have no idea how to fix this problem
Thanks for your response Gio.
Nope, definitely not long enough for a panjang. Sorry, i am back in the States right now so i can't give you specific measurements, but it is probably the slenderness of the blade that gives the impression that it is longer than the standard Anak Alang.
I'm not convinced that the pendokok is a Western imitation, but it is not a nice one by any means. Likewise i am certain the toe piece is indigenous, but it is certainly a lesser quality than the collar piece.I should have photographed the other side of it which would probably convince you to.
I'm glad you also think the hilt is horn. I am familiar with the "tapak kuda" style and have a nice example on my keris panjang. This one is indeed simpler, but i like it's toned down approach. But i haven't seen any quite like it yet in terms of the positioned motifs.
Working on the blade is an "of course" for me, but i did leave it up there so it will have to wait until July when i return. I attended to some surface rust and let it sit for a bit in WD40 between a few tooth-brushings. The black stuff is always stable (and at times not very removable) so i'm not worried about any further deterioration before i can work on it some more.