Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 21st December 2016, 03:19 PM   #1
F. de Luzon

Default Bitten by the Keris Bug

Hello! I purchased what I hope is a high quality keris as a souvenir during a recent visit to Kuala Lumpur. I have been searching for information about it online and so far, I’ve gathered that it is a Bugis style Keris Melayu manufactured in Terengganu. The hilt is the “anak ayam teleng” type. I was told at the time of purchase that the hilt and scabbard are made of rosewood but similar scabbards I’ve seen online are described as made of kemuning. Attached is a photograph of the keris and scabbard.

I cannot identify the pamor and I don’t know if this keris is truly high quality. Does the number of layers on the blade indicate much time and effort to manufacture? Any additional information shared will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards!

F. de Luzon
Attached Images

F. de Luzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2016, 03:46 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Welcome to the forum. From what i can see you have purchased a decent keris, worthy of collection for sure. Keris can be found in many quality levels and i would not necessarily classify this as "high" quality, but it seems fairly well made. What determines a high quality keris goes a bit beyond just the number of layers of the pattern welding. I will leave it to other to speak to the origins and classifications of this particular keris since Bugis keris are a little outside my focus. Better and more detailed photographs would certainly help though.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2016, 12:32 PM   #3
F. de Luzon

Thank you for your insights, David! I really appreciate that you spared some time to comment. I am happy that I was able to purchase a decent keris. It was a poor choice of words on my part when I asked about it being "high quality." I think "decent" is really the more appropriate term.

I collect Moro krises and I didn't know much about the Keris Melayu when I went to Malaysia. I based my choice on similarities that I saw from samples at the Islamic Arts Museum in KL. This was the closest I could find to what were on display. I also liked it because I was told that this keris is at least 80 years old. The Moro krises in my collection are mostly antiques.

Your words are very reassuring and this keris will serve as a reminder of my pleasant visit to Malaysia. I am attaching a few more pictures. Thanks again and I hope to be able to contribute to the forums.
Attached Images

Old 27th December 2016, 01:06 PM   #4
kai

Smile

Hello, welcome to the forum!

It does look like a nice blade. I'd second David's request for more pics! Close-ups are really needed to evaluate a blade and also try to narrow down the type of wood utlized.

As already indicated, it would also be necessary to define "high quality" - the highest quality was usually reserved for royalty. Even then, the highest quality for one region/sultanate might not be valued exactly the same elsewhere (and vice versa)... (Same-o with different eras, so period may also be an issue to keep in mind.)

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2016, 02:54 PM   #5
F. de Luzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Hello, welcome to the forum!

It does look like a nice blade. I'd second David's request for more pics! Close-ups are really needed to evaluate a blade and also try to narrow down the type of wood utlized.

As already indicated, it would also be necessary to define "high quality" - the highest quality was usually reserved for royalty. Even then, the highest quality for one region/sultanate might not be valued exactly the same elsewhere (and vice versa)... (Same-o with different eras, so period may also be an issue to keep in mind.)

Regards,
Kai
Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm beginning to understand that keris culture is highly sophisticated. I was mistaken in my choice of words for I should have stated "decent" or "acceptable" rather than "high quality." Please pardon the continuing vagueness of the terms and I hope you understand what I mean.

My intention was to purchase a keris as a souvenir but I wanted one that was of better quality than the ordinary tourist keris. I recently started an antique Moro kris collection and I wanted a keris melayu that would fit in.

I saw a wide variety when I was searching but this was most similar to the ones I saw at the Islamic Arts Museum. I am happy, based on your comments, that this appears to be of an "acceptable" standard. Your words are very reassuring.

I've also looked at many keris online and I saw some very refined examples. The ones for royalty are probably (surely) of a much higher standard than the one I got.

I find this a very interesting topic. Especially how standards vary across time and space. There's so much to learn! Thank you for your insights. I am looking forward to learning more. I will post close ups soon.
Old 27th December 2016, 06:06 PM   #6
GIO

Definitely a nice piece. The scabbard looks very recent (normal for most keris) and the hilt is rather crudely made. But it is the blade that matters.
If it were mine I would only change the hilt. Impossible to attribute an age from a photo and very difficult on visual examination. Few experts can do that. (I don't give you the names as I would not forget somebody....)
Best wishes for a new keris-addicted.
GIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2016, 09:13 PM   #7
Marcokeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIO
Definitely a nice piece. The scabbard looks very recent (normal for most keris) and the hilt is rather crudely made. But it is the blade that matters.
If it were mine I would only change the hilt. Impossible to attribute an age from a photo and very difficult on visual examination. Few experts can do that. (I don't give you the names as I would not forget somebody....)
Best wishes for a new keris-addicted.
I agree
Marcokeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2016, 09:24 PM   #8
Henk

If this is a souvenir, you could say that this keris is certainly acceptable and decent. Well done!!
The ukiran is more Jawa Deman. A good Bugis ukiran is more the pistol hilted grip. I would try to get such an ukiran.

But it is a very nice keris suitable for every serious keris collection.
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2016, 03:38 AM   #9
kai

Hello Henk,

Quote:
The ukiran is more Jawa Deman. A good Bugis ukiran is more the pistol hilted grip.
The anak ayam teleng is a JD variant from the Malay East coast. I'm attaching an antique example from my collection (sorry, pre-restoration pic with hilt still turned in non-typical direction).

Note the selut which would be typical for the Terengganu region and more suitable for this hilt type.

Regards,
Kai
Attached Images

Old 28th December 2016, 03:55 AM   #10
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henk
The ukiran is more Jawa Deman. A good Bugis ukiran is more the pistol hilted grip. I would try to get such an ukiran.
This confuses me Henk. This is a Bugis form of blade, but the Peninsula. As far as i understand it the right Bugis hilt would depend upon the area of origin for this particular Bugis style blade. I have seen many Peninsula Bugis blades dressed with Jawa Deman hilts. The style of hilt you seem to be describing is more correct for Bugis blades from Sulawesi and certain areas of Sumatra as far as i know.
Old 28th December 2016, 08:33 AM   #11
Henk

Sorry for the confusion gentlemen. The english language is not my mother language. The hilt Kai showed is the one i ment and is in my opnion more suitable for this keris.
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2016, 09:58 AM   #12
F. de Luzon

Thank you for your insights gentlemen! All your comments are much appreciated.
Old 28th December 2016, 01:55 PM   #13
Sajen

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion gentlemen. The english language is not my mother language. The hilt Kai showed is the one i ment and is in my opnion more suitable for this keris.
Hello Henk,

in this thread: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ght=terengganu, first post, you can see a nearly identical hilt. It's so far I know a typical Terengganu hilt, so is nothing wrong with this combination IMVHO. When you will search long enough you will find more examples of this style.

F. de Luzon, welcome to the forum!

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2016, 03:36 PM   #14
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Well, i don't wish to belabor this point much more, but Jawa Demam hilts are also commonly found on Bugis blades from the Terengganu area. Here is one that is not mine, but i have seen the blade and it is clearly of Bugis design. I also have one in my own collection which has not been photographed yet that has almost the exact same dress (hilt, cup and sheath). And i have seen many more like it from this same region.
Attached Images

Old 31st December 2016, 01:09 AM   #15
Laowang

In my view, a good-quality Bugis-style blade, in relatively recent peninsular Malaysian dress in the style of the Terengganu region.

I agree that this isn't the finest rendition of the hilt form that I've seen. I've seen this particular style of hilt referred to by at least one Singaporean dealer as anak ayam teleng ("cuddling chick"), and appropriate for Terengganu dress. It's apparently the Terengganu form of the jawa demam hilt, at least according to this dealer. (Reviewing the thread, it occurs to me that I'm repeating things that kai has also said) I've seen other keris with this kind of hilt paired with the Bugis hilt cup; in my view, I think the entire ensemble is fine, and I personally wouldn't mess with it.

I wouldn't be sorry to have this blade, and dress, in my possession. Welcome to the forum, F. de Luzon.
Laowang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2016, 01:43 AM   #16
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laowang
In my view, a good-quality Bugis-style blade, in relatively recent peninsular Malaysian dress in the style of the Terengganu region.

I agree that this isn't the finest rendition of the hilt form that I've seen. I've seen this particular style of hilt referred to by at least one Singaporean dealer as anak ayam teleng ("cuddling chick"), and appropriate for Terengganu dress. It's apparently the Terengganu form of the jawa demam hilt, at least according to this dealer.
Just to be clear Laowang, the hilt i posted just previous to your post is what i know to be called "anak ayam teleng". Can i assume you are talking about the hilt in my post? I don't believe the hilt that is currently on the keris in question is that type of Jawa Demam. We can't really see all angles of it, but i do not believe it has the appropriate back "fin".
Old 31st December 2016, 03:14 AM   #17
F. de Luzon

Thank you for the warm welcome Detlef and Laowang! Thank you all for your insights. I am attaching a few more photos of the hilt for your reference. I hope you will find them useful.
Attached Images

Old 31st December 2016, 03:15 AM   #18
F. de Luzon

A few more.
Attached Images

Old 31st December 2016, 03:48 AM   #19
Laowang

David, my understanding of the anak ayam teleng form below. Taken from the dealer's website.
Attached Images

Old 31st December 2016, 04:33 AM   #20
kai

Exclamation

Hello David,

Quote:
Well, i don't wish to belabor this point much more, but Jawa Demam hilts are also commonly found on Bugis blades from the Terengganu area. Here is one that is not mine, but i have seen the blade and it is clearly of Bugis design. I also have one in my own collection which has not been photographed yet that has almost the exact same dress (hilt, cup and sheath). And i have seen many more like it from this same region.
You're showing the pekaka hilt which is a more northern Malay type, again a variant of the JD form.

The anak ayam teleng type is quite typical for Terengganu though.

Regards,
Kai
Old 31st December 2016, 06:57 PM   #21
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
You're showing the pekaka hilt which is a more northern Malay type, again a variant of the JD form.
The anak ayam teleng type is quite typical for Terengganu though.
Of course! My bad! You are, of course, correct. Too many names in my head right now.
However, that said, i have quite often seen the pekaka hilt on Terengganu keris as well, so i think either would work and the hilt which is the keris is currently dressed with works just fine as well even if it is not of the highest quality carving.
I suppose this part of the discussion and my reason for thinking about the pekaka hilts to begin with was Henk describing a good Bugis hilt as more a pistol grip. Bugis culture is spread all across the area and the appropriate hilt for any particular Bugis keris will depend upon the specific area where it originates. It will not always be only the pistol grip form i believe Henk is referring to.
Old 31st December 2016, 08:58 PM   #22
Laowang

David, I'm in complete agreement that a pekaka hilt would also have been appropriate for this keris; I have at least one Bugis-style keris in Terengganu dress with a pekaka hilt. Furthermore, I completely agree that a Bugis-style keris does not require a kerdas pistol-grip hilt; the hilt often varies depending on the location.

My thought with this particular keris is that someone did a reasonably decent job of dressing it in a manner appropriate to the blade, so why bother mixing & matching in an attempt to produce a more "correct" ensemble, given that the anak ayam teleng hilt is appropriate.
Old 1st January 2017, 12:22 AM   #23
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laowang
David, I'm in complete agreement that a pekaka hilt would also have been appropriate for this keris; I have at least one Bugis-style keris in Terengganu dress with a pekaka hilt. Furthermore, I completely agree that a Bugis-style keris does not require a kerdas pistol-grip hilt; the hilt often varies depending on the location.

My thought with this particular keris is that someone did a reasonably decent job of dressing it in a manner appropriate to the blade, so why bother mixing & matching in an attempt to produce a more "correct" ensemble, given that the anak ayam teleng hilt is appropriate.
Yep, my feeling as well...
Old 1st January 2017, 11:50 PM   #24
A. G. Maisey

I usually do not engage in discussion of this type of keris, I won't go into the specific reasons for this, sufficient for me to say that these keris are not directly relevant my area of study.

However, before my focus became as narrow as it presently is, I read all the usual books, and truth be told, I still read material related to these keris, its just that it doesn't interest me much. But odd bits and pieces stick in my mind.

As I write, I'm looking at Kai's post # 20, where he names the hilt style in David's post
#14 as "pekaka".

Kai, may I most respectfully enquire as to your source for this naming?

Frankly, I do not know a name for this style that I can claim to be accurate, what I do know is this:-

1) Gardner, published in 1936 called this style "Jawa Demam, Northern type".

The style that we now know as "Tajong" he named as "Pekakak".
He explains that because of the resemblance of this Pekakak hilt form to a kingfisher, people called it a Kingfisher hilt:- "pekakak" means "kingfisher".

Bear in mind, Gardner was a Britain working in Old Malaya he was reporting what the people he had contact with called things, not what western world collectors called things, so it is reasonable to assume that in pre-WWII Malaya, Malay people called the Tajong hilt a Pekakak hilt. He mentions that this Pekakak form is a Pattani style of hilt.

I rather feel that if we investigate further, we will find that the name of the keris style is Tajong, the name of the hilt is Pekaka, or Pekakak. In Malay language "Pekaka" has the same meaning as "Pekakak", spoken they both sound almost the same, especially to a non-native speaker, as the final "k" in "Pekakak" is a glottal stop.

I don't think Gardner mentions the Coteng hilt, but in my experience collectors of the unenlightened past also called this a Pekakak hilt, or kingfisher hilt, only acknowledging that it was different style of the same form.

2) Stone, published 1934 calls keris fitted with both Coteng hilts and Tajong hilts, "Kingfisher Keris", he theorises that this hilt is a representation of Garuda.

3) Mr. Jensen in his "Krisdisc" (2007) names the hilt form shown by David in post # 14 as "Northern type of Jawa Demam, called perkaka Pattani". The word "perkaka" does not exist in Malay, so I think we can safely assume that Mr. Jensen means "pekaka", ie "---pekaka Pattani---".

It should be noted that although Mr. Jensen names the pistol grip form of Bugis hilt as the "panghulu type", "panghulu", or "pangulu" actually means "hilt", "panghulu" is not the name of a form or type or style.

The name of this pistol grip form of Bugis hilt is "Rekko". (Ahmad Ubbe, 2011)

4) Ahmad Ubbe (Senjata Pusaka Bugis, 2011) names the hilt form shown by David in post #14 as "Sikori", and the pistol grip Bugis form as "Rekko".

Things really do start to get complicated when we try to use names in difficult foreign languages.

So, Kai, may respectfully request your source for the name you have used:- " pekaka" ?

I ask this because you appear to have access to a source that I do not know.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2017, 12:55 AM   #25
kai

Hello Alan,

Thanks for bringing this up!

I've based my usage on northern Malay keris enthusiasts (as has Jensen, so his treatise is well worth noting since there are hardly any recent publications on keris Melayu). The most authoritative source that springs to mind would be "Spirit of Wood" (Noor & Khoo, 2003): "Since the 1930s, the tajong has often been confused with the perkaka. This error can be traced back to G. B. Gardner, who referred to a tajong as a pekakak in his book. The true perkaka evolved from the jawa demam, with a larger and straighter beak as illustrated on page 133, ..." [p. 121; based on the research of Nik Rashiddin Nik Hussein and Norhaiza Noordin].

It is quite easy to see that the tajong hilt is not based on a mere bird but rather relates to demonic figural hilts of pre-Islamic origin (arms & feet, mouth with teeth and fangs, full attire including a stylized garuda mungkur on the back of the head, etc.); the same might be argued for the ancestral JD hilt though...

This early error regarding kingfisher hilts is understandable since the tajong hilt does resemble SEA kingfisher birds with broad beak quite a bit whereas the pe(r)kaka is more stylized. BTW, I assume perkaka to be a northern Malay spelling variant of pekaka - can anybody here confirm whether this is based on local pronunciation?

Regards,
Kai
Old 2nd January 2017, 01:02 AM   #26
David
Keris forum moderator

We have had a discussion about these names before in this thread for some more reference.
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=tajong
Old 2nd January 2017, 01:15 AM   #27
kai

Hello Alan,

Quote:
4) Ahmad Ubbe (Senjata Pusaka Bugis, 2011) names the hilt form shown by David in post #14 as "Sikori", and the pistol grip Bugis form as "Rekko".
Rekko [Bugi] = kerdas [Malay]
Sikori [Bugi] = jawa demam (standard version) [Malay]

AFAIK, there is no Bugi name for the N Malay pe(r)kaka variant of the JD hilt since this hilt type seems not to be utilized in Sulawesi.

Regards,
Kai
Old 2nd January 2017, 03:35 AM   #28
A. G. Maisey

Thanks for that clarification Kai, and thanks for the link to the old thread David.

So your "pekaka" in Post #20 was just a typo, Kai? It was that typo that roused my curiosity.

I've just had a look at "Spirit of Wood" --- great book. It seems that the authors consistently refer to the entire keris as "Keris Tajong", P120:-

"The most important keris form to originate in the Kelantan-Terengganu-Pattani region is the tajong."

This confirms what I suspected, and I thank you Kai for reminding me of SofW.

The word "tajong" is actually the name of a kind of fishing boat, and the form of a keris tajong scabbard is very similar to this boat, so I think we will find that the keris gains its name from the scabbard:- it is a tajong scabbard, and a tajong keris --- just like Jawa terminology:- a ladrangan wrongko, thus a ladrangan keris.

But what sort of hilt is it?

Regrettably the authors of this wonderful book do not give the hilt a name, they refer to it as "hilt, keris tajong" or "hulu keris tajong", in other words the hilt of a keris tajong, so the name tajong hilt is actually a descriptor rather than a name.

Prior to 1936 Gardner wrote this about the hilt now known as the hilt for a keris tajong:-

"The hilt developed a big head with such a long nose that it has been mistaken for a kingfisher; but it is really intended to be human, and there will often be found tiny arms clasped around the body"

It is clear that Gardner knew exactly what he was writing about, and that people in Malaya prior to 1936 did refer to this hilt as a pekakak. It is equally clear that he was familiar with the hilt now known as a perkaka but he had no name for this, he just referred to it as the Northern Type Jawa Demam.

Very clear indeed that Gardner wrote exactly what he intended to write and simply reported what he heard from people living in Malaya at that time. The Two Niks seem to think he was confused, I'm sorry , but I see no confusion.

Gardner did not suggest that the pekakak hilt form was based upon a bird, he was well aware that it was a representation in the wayang art form of a human, what he said was that it was mistaken for a kingfisher, not that it was one.

I do accept this:- at the present time the hilt previously known as the pekakak (pekaka) form is known as the hilt for a keris tajong.
In light of what I read in both SofW and Gardner as well as several Indonesian publications, I cannot justify holding an opinion that this hilt form was never known as a pekakak form in Malaya.

Similarly, I have not previously seen nor heard this Northern Jawa Demam form referred to as anything other than Jawa Demam, however, if at the present time it is believed that the correct name is "perkaka" , I do accept this as correct current terminology. However, looking at this Jawa Demam form and trying to see any resemblance to a kingfisher is totally beyond my powers of imagination.

I note that The Two Niks have used "perkaka". Although Indonesian is a form of Malay, and the two languages are mutually intelligible, I do not speak or write formal Malay, so I needed to go to several Malay dictionaries to check "perkaka". I could not find the word, so either we are looking at a printing error, or an error in the original text, or local dialect, or perhaps a newly invented word constructed to apply to this Jawa Demam hilt form.

~~~~~~~~~~~

About Bugis and Malay hilt form terms.

Again my thanks Kai, Bugis term : Malay term, yes, or course, I did not even consider this, I was thinking in strictly Bugis terms, for, as we are aware, when we speak of the Bugis people we speak of a culture , rather than a geographical location.

What you say about the "perkaka" form being absent from Bugis usage, might well be true, even though it would seem that Bugis keris do exist that use this form of hilt. I was coming to the same opinion as yourself, but there are a couple of pics of hilts in the Bugis book that look like pekaka type to me, but I'm probably wrong, because the camera angle doesn't show enough of the hilt for certainty.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2017, 07:35 PM   #29
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
I note that The Two Niks have used "perkaka". Although Indonesian is a form of Malay, and the two languages are mutually intelligible, I do not speak or write formal Malay, so I needed to go to several Malay dictionaries to check "perkaka". I could not find the word, so either we are looking at a printing error, or an error in the original text, or local dialect, or perhaps a newly invented word constructed to apply to this Jawa Demam hilt form.
Well, the Google translator (perhaps not the best source) translates "perkaka" as "the appliance" and translates "pekaka" as "kingfishers".
Well i do find all this name game stuff interesting and while i am certainly not trying to squash that conversation i will just bring it back one more time to the actual reason we began discussing these terms in the first place. That is that the hilt which is currently on this keris, which seems a form of anak ayam teleng, is in fact perfectly correct for this ensemble and that a "Northern type of Jawa Demam", which apparently may be referred to as "pekaka" today, but which it seems may once have been the more accepted name of the hilt which seems to be erroneously called a "kingfisher" hilt (though was in most probability never intended to represent a kingfisher at all), would also be considered perfectly acceptable for a Bugis keris from the Terengganu area as well. There, that wasn't confusing in the least bit...
Old 3rd January 2017, 12:50 AM   #30
F. de Luzon

Thank you all for your insights!

F. de Luzon