Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17th January 2011, 05:52 AM   #1
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Default Sword Found at Wreck Site of Queen Annes Revenge

I just learned that there have been news releases heralding the discovery of 'Blackbeards sword' !!! Naturally this would normally be sensational news, but it would seem there is a great deal of optimism involved

I have been intriqued by the discovery of the wreck which was found off Beaufort Inlet, North Carolina Nov. 21,1996 since that time, and over the years often enjoyed communicating with one of the divers then working the wrecksite. For years the excavations continued, and there have been many thousands of artifacts discovered, the most notable being numbers of cannon. For years I hounded my friend and always teased him as I would see news releases and documentaries televised with them bringing up cannon, and kept asking, where are the swords?
Through all these years, none were found.

A little history on the Q.A.R. (Queen Annes Revenge), Blackbeards flagship.
In November of 1717, the French slaver 'LaConcorde' was captured by the band of pirates led by Blackbeard off the coast of Martinique. The ship was outfitted with numerous cannon, up to about 40, of varying size and origin.
As Blackbeard continued his depradations , by May 1718, he and a small flotilla of other pirate vessels blockaded Charleston harbor in a bold and notable predatory arrangement. As he was moving northward along the coast, he ordered the QAR to be careened at Topsail Inlet (now Beaufort) North Carolina. Apparantly the ship ran aground on a sandbar and was severely damaged. There are suggestions that this was deliberate as he had been contemplating surrender for pardon, and wanted to break up his pirate contingent. Whatever the case, the QAR was abandoned, and many of the pirates were dispersed, with Blackbeard and a smaller group moving on in the smaller 'Adventure'.
On November 22,1718, Blackbeard was killed in battle in the much storied event near Ocracoke, N.C.

It is known that pirates were of many nationalities, ethnic groups and walks of life, with little consistancy in thier manner of dress or of course thier arms. Naturally, the weapons used would have been of any type that could be obtained, regardless of means, and of an array that would probably correspond to those available in various ports of call or from whatever prizes that were taken. The weapons would have been selected for practical use, and heavy bladed weapons preferred, shorter for close quarters combat, as well as substantial hand protection...hence the images of shell and bowl type guards typically seen in illustrations, many actually rather fanciful.

I would like to observe the sword that has been found, and consider the possibilities of whether this would be contemporary with the wreck itself or possibly if it might be collateral to the wreck site and of later date. I do not know the details of exactly the circumstances of the discovery or its location in the site grids, but wanted to extend some observations for discussion.

We can be reasonably certain this is not 'Blackbeards sword' specifically, as it was found at a location where he and his men were abandoning the ship and dispersing. It was not a battle site, nor was the departure a hastily occuring event. It would seem the many cannon left behind were of much heavier bore (24 pounders) and likely the only ones taken were smaller to the smaller ship Adventure. There were however it seems a number of firearms components found, and that seems unusual, though perhaps these may have been some unservicable weapons, it is hard to say.

With regard to the type of sword Blackbeard would have used: It would have had to be a very stout bladed weapon, indeed of 'cutlass' type, but these were often heavy bladed hangers of the 17th century. During the battle in which Blackbeard was killed, it is noted that in a blow he broke the blade of Lt. Maynards sword, again suggesting the heavier nature of the type swords favored by pirates.

The sword we are seeing from the shipwreck is indeed a 'hunting sword' or cuttoe (couteau du chasse), and the alternating quillons are of a form seen on many sword forms from earlier times as well as these. However, in my opinion, the shape of the hilt with what appears to be spirally grooved horn seems more consistant with post 1718 swords of this type. On the lower angled quillon, there is an aperture which would have been for a decorative chain connected to the pommel cap. This also is an affectation which I would associate with slightly later hunting swords, and suggestive of a weapon far too delicate for use by pirates.

The sword itself was apparantly found in pieces and reassembled for the photos, which appeared in various news releases, and I have added for benefit of discussion. Whatever the case may be, it is exciting to see a sword of any kind brought up from the deep, and it is compelling to see it found in this context.

What do you guys think? Mark where are ya ?!!!

All the best,
Jim

P.S. Please note these illustrations are from online releases from various news sources and National Geographic and are shown for purpose of scholarly discussion only with exception of Blackbeard illustration, from Wikipedia.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote