Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th April 2023, 05:54 PM   #1
Protector

Default Large Kris for comment

I have this large, long, heavy Kris. Based on my limited knowledge it appears to be post WW2. The blade is solid and very sharp. It does not appear to be laminated, but I haven’t tried etching it. Does this appear to be an actual ‘user’ or a tourist item? Again, thanks for any help.
Attached Images

Protector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2023, 11:11 AM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Protector,

I agree that this is a mid- to late-20th C kris, probably from the Sulu Archipelago. Even though relatively modern in manufacture, most of these were functional swords capable of inflicting harm. They represent a style of that time. The quality of the blades and the skilled crafting of the MOP decorations on hilt and scabbard make them fairly high end items for a tourist. They are neither cheap nor shoddy in my experience. That said, they are more "decorative" than I prefer, but that's just my preference and others may well see them differently.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2023, 12:11 PM   #3
Sajen

Hi Protector,

I agree with Ian on most points. I own a similar kris, see here: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...highlight=kris

My one has a very massive blade which is clearly laminated and which is usable and I am sure that many in this style were in use but others were sold to tourists/collectors.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote