Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Closed Thread

Old 20th June 2020, 07:41 AM   #1
tanaruz

Default YAKAN BARUNG

Hi friends,

This lovely barung is being offered to me. The owner is from Basilan, hence Yakan. Current owner says it to be post ww2.

Is this a Yakan barung? I've read that some of the characteristics of a Yakan barung are the ff: a) crest rises to a height of several inches and without the curves that are found in other barug kakatuas; b) the straight plume is bevelled(reduced to a sloping edge) and rather thick at the uppermost point, creating a dramatic regar affect; c) instead of a 3-inch punto, Yakan barong sleeves are approx one and quarter inches, similar to piras and d) kakatua beaks are normally unadorned, planer, more suble, beak-like terminal.

Thanks in advance,

Yves
Attached Images

Old 20th June 2020, 11:08 PM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Yves:

We do not permit discussion of items that are currently for sale. I am going to close this thread until you notify me that it is no longer for sale. Then we can reopen it for discussion. You raise some interesting points about Yakan barung that warrant discussion. Ordinarily this post would simply be deleted and you would get a stern warning from me, but since you are new here I am just going to close the thread for now. If you purchase this one, please post better pictures.

Ian.

Last edited by Battara; 21st June 2020 at 01:01 AM.
Closed Thread