Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Miscellania

Old 18th April 2019, 05:20 PM   #1
Lee
EAAF Staff

Thumbs up Bamboo / Rattan / Utility Knife from SE Asia?

Findings of interesting ethnographic artifacts at the local gun show continue to diminish and I am sad to report that almost all that I did see was third rate and once aimed at the tourist.

But one table did have this interesting old tool that I am interpreting as being a utility knife commonly used for working with bamboo or rattan for a price that I could not resist.

The overall length is about 21 inches with the blade being just under 9½ inches long. The blade is sharp along the straighter edge and tapers from about 3/8 inch thickness at its origin to about 1/16 inch just before the tip. The handle appears to be bamboo or rattan and is hollow centrally with a thick wall.

Decoration is limited to shallow annular carvings on the handle. I do not believe that this suggests a weapon, as handmade tools often have limited decoration.

I tried holding it as Ian suggested in post 19 of an early thread and it made really good sense as the arm muscles could clearly do the bulk of the work. These were also discussed in a more recent thread

Does anyone have any idea of a more specific area of origin?
Attached Images

Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2019, 03:08 PM   #2
mross

Somewhat panabas like, which could bolster the argument they are agricultural tools.
mross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2019, 01:32 AM   #3
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Lee:

Nice example of the utility knife found in mainland SE Asia. Mainly used for cutting rattan, but also a general purpose knife. I've seen these in Thailand and Laos, and they are said to be used also in Burma, Cambodia, and perhaps Vietnam. There are slight regional differences, but all basically have the long handle and fat-bellied blade. I like this one for its age and decorations to the hilt.

Ian
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote