Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 8th November 2009, 11:44 PM   #1
asomotif

Default KUKRI KUHUKURI HELP FOR DATING

I bought this Kukri.

Based on the blade quality I would not give it much age.
But I am a complete dummy on Kukri's.
Checked some threads on the forum and based on them I would say mid 20th century / Nepal.

Am I close ? please correct me when wrong.
Attached Images

asomotif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 09:15 AM   #2
spiral

Your very close I think Asomotif!

Ive seen many of these & had a few.The handle, flat blade spine & sculpted scabbard are all highly recognisable & those that were provenaced {about 3 I can recall.} were generaly late WW2 era pieces bought or traded around the Assam & particularily Darjeeling areas by British & American service personel.

Darjeeling is in India but has a massive Nepali population & indeed today it own seperatist movement.

Yours looks in very good condition. There seem to be generaly reliably made but have no finnesse.

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 05:10 PM   #3
sirupate

A nice kukri, that style has been around before WWII, RFM Lalbahadur Gurung (Mounted runner for Villiers Stuart 1920-1924) presented to his Officer Villiers Stuart (5th GR) a very similar kukri and scabbard.

Last edited by sirupate; 10th November 2009 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Scabbard
sirupate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2009, 02:51 PM   #4
spiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirupate
A nice kukri, that style has been around before WWII, RFM Lalbahadur Gurung (Mounted runner for Villiers Stuart 1920-1924) presented to his Officer Villiers Stuart (5th GR) a very similar kukri and scabbard.

Or not depending on how closley you look at it

To my eye many many differences from the typicaly Darjeeling/Assam WW2 era piece presented by Asomotif & Lalbahadur Gurungs kukri with inscribed blade from the Gurkha museam Winchester. [shared for educational purposes only.}

For example Lalbahadur Gurungs kukri has forged fullers not cut, a rounded or "peaked" spine not flat, A curved handle not straight, A Steel bolster not brass, un dot punched or decorated handle, totaly different scabbard pattern, traditional buttons & loops to scabbard, covered rear pocket to scabbard,overall quality etc.etc.

But yes put simply it is a metal handle & a decorative scabbard.

Spiral
Old 10th November 2009, 03:54 PM   #5
sirupate

First of all Spiral, I hope you have permision to post the photograph from the Gurkha Museum in Winchester, if not you have broken their copywrite.

Quotes from Spiral;
Quote:
For example Lalbahadur Gurungs kukri has forged fullers not cut
In the close up picture I have of the decoration grooves, they do not look forged, more like ground and scraped, or some similar method, but not forged.
Quote:
a rounded or "peaked" spine not flat
In the two photo's I have of the spine, it looks strangley flat.
Quote:
A curved handle not straight
True, well spotted.
Quote:
A Steel bolster not brass
Me thinks you have probably not handled this kukri, it is not a steel bolster, and both have brass butt plates with diamond keepers
Quote:
un dot punched or decorated handle
Not sure what you mean here? but both handles are decorated, albeit with different decorations
Quote:
totaly different scabbard pattern, traditional buttons & loops to scabbard, covered rear pocket to scabbard,overall quality
Certainley a different scabbard pattern, and better finished, but very much in the same vain.

It is strange how in your picture the scabbard looks black, or was the picture taken by John Powell and given to you?

And as I said originally
Quote:
a very similar kukri and scabbard
So not exactley the same
sirupate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2009, 10:03 PM   #6
spiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirupate
First of all Spiral, I hope you have permision to post the photograph from the Gurkha Museum in Winchester, if not you have broken their copywrite.
And no doubt youve all ready emailed them a link.

Actualy I have photos of most of there kukris, there from several sources, mostly friends but even including copys of ones youve posted online before.

The ones I took personaly many years ago I was told I could use for personal & educational reasons, but not for financial gain.

Actualy Ive got photos of the kukris in most of the main British museams, & indeed copies of photos showing many other types of weapons in museams around the world. {many of those came from the many genourous users of this forum.}

Sorry for that on your thread Asomotif , But perhaps you would like to see a large but very similar example of your kukri & scabbard type from Lionsgate arms & armour. {more decrative scracthed or chiseled blade markings though.]

spiral