Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 16th November 2007, 01:56 PM   #1
Mick

Default Gold work on blades

Hi folks

I have been lurking in the woods listening to some of the experts talking about the specific topics of keris esoterica for awhile and it has been interesting and educational. I have learned a lot, but I also have noted that some of the less learned (such as myself) aficionados seem to have been scared off from posting.

A little while ago there was a topic that led into the types of gold work on keris blades. Not many people can afford to have examples all of these different types of work, but I acquired a couple of minor pieces while I was working down there thirty or more years ago which could prove interesting to some of the many people who are not experts (such as myself).

My digital camera died recently so I had to buy a new one. This post gives me a good reason to test this new camera out. I am not looking to start a long list of golden kerises. I am just trying to illustrate the different methods of attaching the gold to the blade.

It has been noted that the Javanese gold work is recognized as the best in that the blade is carved and heavily prepared to accept lumps of gold which are hammered on to the prepared surfaces. This gold is then carved to provide the final effect the goldsmith wishes. This work was thought so highly of that people who could afford it sent pieces from the other islands to Java to have this work done and possibly provided for Javanese goldsmiths to reside on their islands while they accomplished this type of work.

The first piece that is used to illustrate this technique follows. Note that the gold has been dislodged and lost in portions of this piece which allows you to see how the iron was prepared. This happens over time no matter how careful the owner is. Of course sometimes an owner strips the gold off of a piece and sells it for its raw material value if he falls upon hard times.

Note the missing gold on the hip of the Singa and some of the missing stems and flowers on the ganja.
Attached Images

Last edited by Mick; 16th November 2007 at 02:22 PM.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2007, 02:07 PM   #2
Mick

The next example is one of the famous pieces that (I think) have appeared in greater numbers than could be explained by the story of their creation. Their quality ranges from exquisite to horrible. The Solyoms illustrate one of the highest quality pieces in their catalog for their exhibition at the East West Center in Hawaii. This piece is not as good as that one, but it is one of the better ones around and with another identifying mark could possibly be one of the original ones or an official copy prepared for the same type of award.
Attached Images

Old 16th November 2007, 02:09 PM   #3
Mick

This piece is a standard of the type of work done in Sumatra. This piece illustrates the type of preparation work done on the iron to help affix to gold to the blade. It is done similar to the Javanese work, but not as well. This allows for the entire gold cap to peel off easily once it starts to come loose so many of the old pieces are missing at least a part of the gold as this one. (It also allows the owner to easily strip off the gold if he comes on hard times which would explain some of the pieces that have had all of the gold removed.) Javanese work is applied as separate pieces which do not lend themselves to be as easily removal by accident.
Attached Images

Old 16th November 2007, 02:12 PM   #4
Mick

This piece illustrates the work done on Bali. Note the flatness of the gold application. There does not seem to be any heavy preparation work on the iron for the attachment of the gold in the larger areas. In fact, it seems to be installed similar to Indian Koftgari work, but not as well.

I have not seen any examples of the gold work on blades from Sulawesi. If any of the members of the forum have examples of this type of work please post some illustrations so that the members will have a general rundown of the different types of work that these excellent goldsmiths have produced in the past. (I know that there must be some people who can do this work today as I have seen blades that were under construction in Bali back in the 80’s. I just don’t know who they are.)

I don’t consider myself an expert on the keris, so there might be other types of work that I have not seen. Please feel free to enlighten the forum members as well as me and post some of these differences.
Attached Images

Old 17th November 2007, 05:30 PM   #5
Marcokeris

Pak Mick
Your keris are exquisite indeed.
I saw Sulawesi gold work on blades only on some book.
.....also your avatar is exquisite
Marcokeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2007, 06:16 PM   #6
Battara
EAAF Staff

Mick, what is the green stuff on your pieces - usually I associate it with copper content oxidation, but what is it here?
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2007, 06:42 PM   #7
rand

Default Goldwork on Keris

Hey Mick,

The keris you have posted are incredible examples of sumptuous metalwork on keris's. Both the blades and the gold application are breath-taking displaying a combination of high carot thick gold tooled under the hands of an artisan creates a stunning visual effect. The lure of gold in contrast to the metallurgy of steel coupled with the designs from a culture create a visual splendour for the eye that transcends the boundry's of nations.

Am not a student of the Keris but appreciate a beautiful object. Thanks for posting the pics of your keris's.

rand
rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2007, 08:45 PM   #8
Mick

Jose

If you are talking about the uwer on the Balinese piece, that is the copper base under the gold wash leaking out. If it is on anything else it is basicly due to my inaptitude in using my photo shop program while attempting to get the pieces to show the detaill that I wished to illustrate.
Old 18th November 2007, 08:33 PM   #9
Battara
EAAF Staff

AAHHH.....I wondered if there was a copper base - steel does not seem to want to adhere to gold easily unless it is inlaid. thank you.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote