Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st October 2022, 03:09 PM   #1
Gonzoadler

Default Field saber (?) for comments

Hello,

I have this elegant saber in my collection and want to know more about it. So I would appreciate if you share your knowledge with me.
It was sold as 17th century hunting saber. The time period seems plausible to me, but I doubt the use as hunting weapon. The thumb ring on the handle makes not much sense for that purpose and on the pommel you can see knights with horses but no hunting scenes. Also the blade reminds me more of 17th century swiss or german field sabers.
The handle is decorated with nice iron cuts and the wiring of the handle is well made in my eyes. So I wouldn't think that this was a weapon for a "normal guy", rather an officer or nobleman.
What do you think was the purpose of this weapon, what is it's origin and what could be a plausible range of time when the saber was made?
I would say that all parts including the wiring are original and nothing was replaced, but what do you think?

Dimensions:
total 89.5cm
blade 75cm

Regards
Robin
Attached Images

Gonzoadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2022, 03:12 PM   #2
Gonzoadler

more pictures:
Attached Images

Old 1st October 2022, 03:13 PM   #3
Gonzoadler

blade details:
Attached Images

Old 1st October 2022, 04:16 PM   #4
AHorsa

Hi there

In my eyes the blade is younger than 17th century, the pommel doesn´t fit in style and on the images the rivetting on the pommel doesn´t look too good to me, takinfg into account the dark surrounding but there must be brighter images of that part.

After all I assume that this is a 19th century or modern well made composite, using an original pommel, an 18th century blade and a new made (?) crossguard.

But of course I can be wrong so I am looking forward to comments of more knowing members.

Best
Andreas

Last edited by AHorsa; 1st October 2022 at 04:36 PM.
AHorsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2022, 05:19 PM   #5
Gonzoadler

Thank you Andreas. This is of course a possibility, too. If it is a historism piece, a fake or a combination of old and new parts I would send it back to the seller. Because of that I would appreciate further comments regarding this.

Regards
Robin
Old 1st October 2022, 06:12 PM   #6
corrado26

I saw this piece in the online auction and decided not to buy it. The missing of the backside decoration of the hilt and the 19th century blade told me that this sword has been made only for decoration purposes probably during the time of historism. For me it is no original item.
corrado26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2022, 09:30 PM   #7
awdaniec666

Hi Gonzoadler,
these two swords must be of interest to you since they got the same decoration. That fact it is only decorated on one side would not disturb me heavily since some sword decorations (or even scabbards) were decorated only on the side which would have been seen when carrying them in a scabbard (budget?). The blade is a Montmorency (those started in the second half of the 18th century) and does quite not match guard in my opinion too. The other circumstances of your object I leave to people more knowledgeable on that specific type. I personally decline the thought of hunting swords having an expanded guard like parrying rings and so on, a thumb-ring could have made sense since it gives the sword more cutting power.
Attached Images

Last edited by awdaniec666; 6th October 2022 at 09:33 PM. Reason: montmorency
awdaniec666 is offline   Reply With Quote