Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th December 2022, 07:49 PM   #1
Arcteryx

Default German Sword XVI century ?

hello,
I would like help in identification, the inscription ANNO DOMINI on the blade and IOHANES ME FECIT on the other side
Attached Images

Arcteryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2022, 12:29 AM   #2
CSinTX

Could you post more pics of the hilt?
CSinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2022, 07:52 PM   #3
AHorsa

I guess that is a nice 16th century Dussagge South German or Austrian possibly. Sadly without pommel. Nice piece
AHorsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2022, 10:05 PM   #4
Arcteryx

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHorsa View Post
I guess that is a nice 16th century Dussagge South German or Austrian possibly. Sadly without pommel. Nice piece
thank you
Old 8th December 2022, 03:15 AM   #5
Dmitry

I read ME FECIT IOHANNE (Made by Johannes) ANNO DOMINI (in the year of our Lord ....).
Dmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2022, 11:29 AM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Most interesting 'dusagge' and strongly resembling these types often seen from 17th into as late as 18th century in the Netherlands, but it seems the Dutch forms have obverse thumb ring on the hilt. As noted, these types of sabers/cutlasses were well known throughout Germany (from about mid 16th c. with these kinds of shell guards *) and Northern Europe. I believe in Norway sabers of this type were termed 'tessak'.
The alternating quillons of the guard seem to have notable variation in the numerous examples seen.

I think these are one of the most desirable early forms as they are most typically associated with sea service and as cutlasses, in many cases seen in pirate lore. In fact, in the lexicon of piracy, the term 'shell' is loosely noted as referring to a cutlass.

Even without the rest of the hilt, this is an attractive and keenly representative example, and in the rugged condition these are often found. I am particularly intrigued by the interestingly adapted inscription, similar to many seen on Solingen blades, and the rougher than usual lettering. If I understand correctly, ANNO DOMINI (=in the year of our Lord) should have a year with it, so curious if that is no longer distinguishable.

* "European Weapons and Armour", E.Oakeshott, 1980, p.155, fig.67
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 8th December 2022 at 11:44 AM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2022, 12:36 PM   #7
cornelistromp

it seems to me a recent reproduction, patinated and aged.
cornelistromp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2022, 04:03 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornelistromp View Post
it seems to me a recent reproduction, patinated and aged.
Well noted, and as I mentioned, the 'inscription' is rather unbelievable.
While disappointing of course, at least a chance to examine this type of sword as a form, and see an example of the kinds of 'interpretations' that are out there.
Old 10th December 2022, 11:07 AM   #9
Arcteryx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall View Post
Well noted, and as I mentioned, the 'inscription' is rather unbelievable.
While disappointing of course, at least a chance to examine this type of sword as a form, and see an example of the kinds of 'interpretations' that are out there.
it is an original saber which was combined with a bayonet grip... added in the era
Attached Images

Old 10th December 2022, 11:27 PM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hilt is very similar to a French M1767 grenadiers briquet but likely one of the later examples. Looks like there was a langet. Fits quite handily.
Attached Images

Old 11th December 2022, 11:05 AM   #11
Arcteryx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall View Post
Hilt is very similar to a French M1767 grenadiers briquet but likely one of the later examples. Looks like there was a langet. Fits quite handily.
yes, thank You, but the handle in this case does not matter, I wanted to identify the saber
Old 11th December 2022, 03:56 PM   #12
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

It is true, the handle which obviously was not part of the sword originally is not of consequence specifically, but sometimes might offer context as to where this might have been put together. For example, a French brass hilt might place it in French context.

While it is suggested this may be a more modern interpretation of one of these shell guard swords, the fact that it is of a sword type which seems to have been favored literally over centuries. This is a very rudimentary munitions quality version, which means it could have been produced as a weapon for use in certain conditions or situations by other than regular military forces.
Still the placement of the very badly executed inscription is troubling, and wondering why it was placed on the blade at all.

I have an example of this kind of 'assembled' weapon of composite sword components which in from Mexican context, probably as an ersatz type of espada ancha. In rural regions of Mexico, virtually everything was 'recycled'
and this use of old sword elements seems a good example of this kind of innovation.

The hilt is of brass, clearly a briquet, most likely French; the guard is from a three bar cavalry saber; the blade is a cut down broadsword blade from the ubiquitous 'bilbo' type blades which were circulating in these regions from the Spanish period into Mexican.

Naturally the possibility of the 'creation' of these kinds of weapons by unscrupulous dealers or sellers is always present, but the optimistic side of us always wonders.....what if?
Attached Images