Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th December 2022, 06:22 PM   #31
mahratt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel View Post
And, BTW, I frown upon the use of the term “Khyber knife” in books and other professional publications.
First, this moniker was given to it by the Brits who did not know of, or did not care about, its real name.
Second, it implies that this weapon was endemic specifically to the Khyber Pass area. In fact, it was produced and used in other Afghani areas, in CA Khanates ( somewhere here there was a photo of a whole slew of them sold as butcher meat choppers), in India and (in a slightly modified form) even in Persia ( See Fiegel, #2095, 2096).

Interestingly, “ ch’hura” is more correct: it is a word with Sanscritic roots meaning a knife.
In formal publications the native term “ selava” is, IMHO, mandatory. It is its true local name and, having learned it, we are obligated to use it.

I take my hat of to Indonesian and Philippine gurus who are very careful, almost persnickety, about terminology.

Again, in informal exchanges we can call it whatever is convenient for the occasion.
I'm sorry. But your "frown" is your personal problem. There are a number of established terms for well-known armes items. These terms allow everyone to determine without any problems what kind of arms it is even without its detailed description.
The use of native ethnic names of weapons is a "nice bonus", especially considering that in the same Afghanistan in its different regions the same one Khyber knife has been called by many different names.
Nevertheless, I am very glad that you have learned useful information from my book on the arms of Afghanistan.

And for reference, Khyber knives have never been produced in the khanates of Central Asia.

With Indonesia and the Philippines - everything is easier. The huge variety of forms of tribal swords and daggers, common in relatively small areas, has led to the fact that it turned out to be easier to use traditional ethnic names.

However, I think that this topic is not about the nomenclature of weapons. And I think you should not "clutter up" with our discussion the topic that francantolin opened
mahratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2022, 12:03 PM   #32
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Exclamation Reign it in ...

mahratt and ariel,

You are each getting very close to the line again! Both of you have had a post deleted in this thread for irrelevant or provocative material. Enough. Move on.

In the past we have closed threads because of your incessant arguing and attacking each other. In future, if you use threads to continue your arguing and sniping, the threads will remain open but you will both be gone from here permanently.

Last edited by Ian; 13th December 2022 at 12:15 PM.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote