Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd December 2007, 10:14 AM   #1
carlos

Default Opinions about this kukrie, ivory?

I´m interested in opinions about this kukrie, seems like a beatiful carved ivory handle, but I´m not sure, the measures are overall 13 inch and the blade near 10 inch. without scabbard. some identify the stamps in the blade? Thanks
Best Regards
Carlos
Attached Images

carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2007, 10:16 AM   #2
carlos

Default mor pictures

More pictures
Attached Images

Old 2nd December 2007, 11:43 AM   #3
olikara

Default Stamp

The stamp says 'Ne Pa Li' which obviously means 'From Nepal'.
olikara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2007, 05:13 PM   #4
carlos

Default thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by olikara
The stamp says 'Ne Pa Li' which obviously means 'From Nepal'.

THANKS!! DO YOU KNOW THE AGE APROXIMATELY? THANKS
Old 3rd December 2007, 09:53 PM   #5
spiral

Hi Carlos, yes that looks like Elephant ivory. Intresting kukri, I would guess its 1950s but cant be certan.

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2007, 03:53 AM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

What is the creature represented on the hilt? Is there particular symbolism or significance represented by its use here?
It seems ivory is not often seen on kukris, what would be indicated by an ivory hilt as opposed to the typcal horn examples?

Dont see much on kukris anymore, especially since John Powell seems to have been away for such a long time! or maybe I've just missed the posts Do we have a kukri faction out there?
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2007, 03:55 AM   #7
inveterate

jim, think most of the Kukri guys hang out at www.ikrhs.com. Rod
inveterate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2007, 02:53 PM   #8
spiral

Hi Jim, Other than to say ivory costs more than horn or wood there not much I can add about its use, It seems most common in the 20th century on pieces made for sale to westerners.

In the 19th century it seems commoner amongst Nepals elite as well as British officers.

As an Rhino horn gripped kukris carries a definate meaning, as Post about 1850 only the Nepali Royal Family & Prime Minster were legaly allowed to have Rhino horn grips made, so there the rarest realy. Ive seen a dozen or more sold or described as rhino horn but in reality only 3 realy were. Luckily I have one of them. It used the black central cut from the middle of the horn, so it was certanly made to order for a important personage.

Spiral
Old 4th December 2007, 05:40 PM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Spiral,
Thank you so much! Thats exactly the kind of information I was looking for! You seem to know a great deal on these, is the kukri your primary field of collecting?
Although I have been always been involved in study on arms and armour, I cannot claim focus or particular expertise on any single field or form. Mostly I very much researching whatever is at hand, and have always worked at developing resources and networks to find information. Naturally gaining overall knowledge on arms develops in degree, and what I have always hoped to do here is continuing that work and sharing that knowledge by learning along with them.

This is the reason I like to try to develop these threads with the weapons shown, and its always great when those with special interest and knowledge come in and share it along with specific observations. I appreciate it very much and hope to learn more on these.

Thanks very much Spiral

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2007, 07:09 PM   #10
spiral

Yes Jim I dabble with all sorts of weaponry & bladed articles but kukris have been the mainstay of my keeper collection & research, both here & in Nepal.

Mind you I have collected many Mesolithic & Neolithic flints as well. {I dont buy those though.{90% of those marketed are clearly fake.} I Just find them , I was originaly given a collection by an Archologists daughter I trained with years ago that was from recorded sites dug from about 1920 to 1939.} I was very lucky.

I to also share what information I can about Kukri. I get emails most days requesting such. But if it helps popularise the genuine kukris then thats good.

Cheers,
Spiral
Old 5th December 2007, 12:55 AM   #11
inveterate

Jim, Spiral interesting post. I have a picture of the above mentioned Lancers riding through Palestine, A well published photo which Spiral has seen, and whilst I have peered at it for many a long hour through a magnifying glass I can see no real evidence of Kukri being worn, having said that one soldier in the group shows something that may be a Kukri but if it is it certainly is not the Alloy handled one that is promoted as the Maharajah of Jodhpurs Kukri.
Cheers Rod
inveterate is offline   Reply With Quote