Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th June 2006, 04:37 PM   #31
VANDOO
(deceased)

PERHAPS THEY WERE MADE AS THEY ARE TO MAKE THEM LESS OF A KILLING WEAPON BUT STILL FUNCTIONAL JUST IN CASE TROUBLE STARTED, A MAN FELT NAKED WITHOUT A WEAPON IN THOSE DAYS. IN A GATHERING OR CEREMONY OR IN THE PRESENCE OF ROYALTY OR HIGH RANKING PEOPLE THOSE ATTENDING WERE OFTEN ALLOWED A CERTIAN TYPE OF KNIFE OR SWORD. THIS IS COMMON IN MANY DIFFERENT SOCIETYS AROUND THE WORLD ,SOME OF THE COURT SWORDS FOR INSTANCE OR THE WEDUNG IN INDONESIAN COURTS. THAT WOULD BE MY GUESS AS MOST OF WHAT I HAVE READ OR HEARD OVER THE YEARS ASSOCIATED THESE KNIVES WITH SPECIAL CEREMONY AND NOT OPEN WARFARE. THEY ARE DESIGNED TO BE ORNAMENTAL AND NICE TO LOOK AT AND NO DOUBT THE WAY THEY ARE DECORATED HAS SOME SIGNIFICENCE WHICH IS PROBABLY LOST IN TODAYS SOCIETY. SO IN A GATHERING OF MEN IF A FIGHT STARTED THERE MIGHT BE SOME BLOOD BUT MOST LIKELY NO DEATH AND THE GAURDS COULD EASILY STOP A FIGHT AS THEY WOULD BE THE ONLY ONES WITH REAL FIGHTING WEAPONS. I DO CONSIDER THEM A CEREMONIAL WEAPON AND DEFINITELY ETHINOGRAPHIC AND NEAT TO LOOK AT SO THEREFORE COLLECTABLE. CONJECTURE MY SPECIALTY
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2006, 01:40 PM   #32
katana

If 2mm thick blades are common to 'Wedding Nimcha's', and as a ceremonial dagger it's function is to look good, show status etc. Why has mine got a functional blade.
Pure speculation, could it have been made to look like a ceremonial piece, so that a 'live' blade could be sneaked into a Ceremonial environment, perhaps the 'bridegroom' to be, had issues with his new in-laws....

It's a shame that the knife on Oriental Arms does not describe the thickness of the blade, however looking through the additional photos, the knives look almost identical. IMHO the carving and finish of the handle is not as good as mine, and there are slight differences in its shape. The blade looks to be inferior too, but that could be the photograph........or is it because I am bias ....
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2006, 01:59 PM   #33
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana
If 2mm thick blades are common to 'Wedding Nimcha's', and as a ceremonial dagger it's function is to look good, show status etc. Why has mine got a functional blade.
Pure speculation, could it have been made to look like a ceremonial piece, so that a 'live' blade could be sneaked into a Ceremonial environment, perhaps the 'bridegroom' to be, had issues with his new in-laws....

It's a shame that the knife on Oriental Arms does not describe the thickness of the blade, however looking through the additional photos, the knives look almost identical. IMHO the carving and finish of the handle is not as good as mine, and there are slight differences in its shape. The blade looks to be inferior too, but that could be the photograph........or is it because I am bias ....
Katana , I believe Barry hit the nail on the head in his post that preceeds yours .
The carving is quite simple to do and is referred to as 'chip carving' ; it goes quite quickly . Even 3 mm is less than an eighth of an inch ; pretty standard for these pieces ; mine was that thick also .

You certainly do not need to accept anyones evaluation of this piece however ; and I do give you kudos for your imagination .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2006, 04:26 PM   #34
VANDOO
(deceased)

I THINK THE THICKNESS OF THE BLADE AND QUALITY OF THE CARVEING ARE MORE OF A INDICATION OF AGE THAN FUNCTION. THE MORE RECENT MADE ONES ARE MADE MORE QUICKLEY AND LESS EXPENSIVE, SO THINNER BLADES AND PLASTIC RATHER THAN CORAL OR REAL STONES WOULD COST LESS. THE BLADES ON WEDUNGS AND COURT SWORDS ARE HEAVY ENOUGH AND COULD INFLICT HARM BUT THE DESIGN IS NOT VERY GOOD FOR FIGHTING COMPARED TO WEAPONS THAT ARE DESIGNED EFFECIENTLY FOR WAR. LOOK AT THE OTHER SWORDS AND DAGGERS FROM THE AREA FOR COMPARASON, AND SEE WHAT YOU WOULD CHOOSE TO DEFEND YOURSELF FROM SOMEONE WELL ARMED.

AS THERE IS NO CONCRETE INFORMATION ON THESE DAGGERS ONE CAN THINK WHAT ONE WANTS. EITHER WAY I STILL LIKE THEM AS A COLLECTABLE AS THEY ARE AN AUTHENTIC ARTEFACT OF THE CULTURE NOT JUST SOMETHING INVENTED TO SELL TO TOURISTS.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2006, 04:52 PM   #35
katana

Thanks everyone for your input.....I suspect one of these daggers will, again, be posted for comments in the future.

I suppose, to sum up, it is likely to be a quality Nimcha type dagger from the Algiers ( Ref; Oriental Arms) and probably ceremonial in nature, with a 'useable' blade.

It is a nice knife, hopefully new information will help decide how these knives should be catergorised and labelled but, until then I think the description above will have to suffice...
Old 7th August 2006, 09:42 PM   #36
katana

This Nimcha (wedding?) has just finished on eBay.....e-mailed seller...the blade was 4mm and very similar to the one I own..but has an less acute curve..tried a late bid ..but missed out. It seems there are more Nimcha 'daggers' with useable blades

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
Old 15th January 2008, 04:05 AM   #37
Hager

Default Wedding Nimcha's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolo
Hello katana,

I'm still unsure whether my variant is made for Those Who Travel For Pleasure or not. It has a thin 2mm blade, crude engravings and the scabbard and hilt only have brass inlay, not carving like yours. I had the impression that these are indeed Moroccan and that they have a ceremonial function -hence the name Wedding Nimcha. To me they look like a non-weapon derivative of the shula.

Emanuel
Hello ,
I was hoping someone in the know might help me . I just received a matched pair of the blades and scabbards identical to the one Manola illustraited in his post . They were given to me by my mother and I remember them in our house in the 1950's . She thinks the date from early 1900's but really doesn't know for sure . Was wondering if anyone ever got a definative answer as to their history and what would their value be ? Don't intend to sell them , just curious as to what I have here ?Any thoughts would be appreciated .Thanks.

Hager .
Hager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2008, 08:09 PM   #38
katana

Hello Hagar,
welcome to the forum....

Manolo posted two different types, which one are you refering to.

Regards David

Attached Images

Old 18th January 2008, 09:39 PM   #39
spiral

Presumably real blades are spring temperd, show & tourist blades may or may not be.

Guess one can always hang up half a pig & stab away & see whether blade & tang stands the reality of serious reapted use or not ...

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2008, 10:40 PM   #40
Emanuel

Hello Hager,

It seems that WWII is a fair date for these "wedding nimcha" (Katana's and my first posts). It's likely based on the tourist flyssas and the second knife, the shula, which I believe to be a late-19th century type.
I got my nimcha for 50USD in 2005 and that was overpaying. I've seen them go on eBay for much less, and at times for much much more. I do not think they are worth more than 20USD in the west, and they're probably 5USD in the suks and bazzars of Morocco. Sorry it's just not a valuable knife, although it's a pretty-looking souvenir and may obviously have sentimental value.

I agree with what Spiral said, but I suggest you do not try cutting with these knives.

Regards,
Emanuel
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote